WR Rocks!

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Columbia
South Carolina
USA

Jet 1840
Hiding glue line
Dec 18th, 2015 at 7:55am

I have a Box Elder log that I turned, green, into a vase (spindle orientation).  It was too long for me to effectively hollow out with the tools that I have available (or possibly experience).  I rough turned the outside, cut the log in half and hollowed each half.  Then I glued the two halves together using Titebond II glue.

Well it has dried and I have finished turned the outside of the vase and sanded to 400.  It is actually the best second turning that I have done so far, trued up REALLY nice.

My problem is that the glue line is still visible.  Cry I am looking for ideas on how to hide the glue line or at least make it less noticeable.  Any and all suggestions are welcome.  This is supposed to be part of my wife's Christmas present, so I am kind of in a time crunch. 

Thanks for all you guys & gals do to help us novice turners improve on our skills. Smiley

Dick

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Re: Hiding glue line
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 8:02am

Have you turned it to final thickness?  If no, you can but a bead just above the glue line that will make the line invisible.

If yes, cut into the glue line, and burn with a wire.

Louie

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 9:09am

I would second the wire burning but ADD a couple of lines on either side so it looks more like a design concept than an attempt to cover the joint line.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Jerry Marcantel

WR Rocks!

Tucson, Arizona, Arizona, USA
Tucson, Arizona
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 9:27am

Richard, you could get some of that decorative inlay strip, and if you can remount your piece, cut a recess that the inlay would fit into. Measure, cut, and glue it in doing your best to get a match where it joins. When the adhesive is cured/dry, sand to make up for any discrepancies. Careful, that stuff is less than paper thin.

Curious as to how you joined the two pieces. Butt joint or rabbet joint?............. Jerry (in Tucson)

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 9:31am

I agree, I would do as the others suggested.
Hide it with a shadow line, bead, burn line. embed some embellishment like wire or stone powder, etc...
There are lots of options,
If "one" of the above items doesn't look quite right, I would suggest making a pair of lines or whatever embellishment you choose.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 9:47am

Richard Grover wrote on Dec 18th, 2015 at 7:55am:
I have a Box Elder log that I turned, green, into a vase (spindle orientation).  It was too long for me to effectively hollow out with the tools that I have available (or possibly experience).  I rough turned the outside, cut the log in half and hollowed each half.  Then I glued the two halves together using Titebond II glue.

For future reference.

Gluing together two green pieces of wood is always problematic.

Most times when the wood dries its possible it will crack along the glue line (or along a weak spot in the wood).

Another problem is hiding the glue line. It is very difficult (if not impossible) to get the two mating surfaces perfectly flat. If you are lucky and and get two perfectly flat surfaces the newly exposed surfaces will release some water and you will no longer have two perfectly mating surfaces.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Richard Grover

WR Rocks!

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Columbia
South Carolina
USA

Jet 1840
Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 12:09pm

Louie,

I cut a bead just above the glue line as you suggested.  Now even though I know it is there, you would be very hard pressed to see it.

My wife absolutely loved this vase. Kiss  I will try and get a picture and see if I can post.  Thanks all.

Dick

IP Logged

william trench

WR Rocks!

South Salem, USA
South Salem
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 5:38pm

Nice save, though I also question the integrity of the butt joint if the vase was turned with the grain vertical. The end grain joint will very  likely fail unless it was rabetted ( stepped)
In cabinetry and furniture-making the bead detail is mostly used to"disguise" a joint ( around a door or drawer front or between two boards for instance). As mentioned, many times an awkward joint or  even an annoying error can be creatively turned into a decoration or detail..

wood turned good
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW kitchawanwood  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print