Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
To glue 2 boards together (Read 2,260 times)

Tom Albrecht

Some say Curmudgeon

Evanston, Illinois, USA
Evanston
Illinois
USA

Re: To glue 2 boards together
Reply #15 - Jan 16th, 2016 at 3:39pm

The polyurethane glues are really best for exterior projects, and interior projects that need the gap filling abilities.  They expand with moisture.  It's a similar formula to the  "Great Stuff" expanding foam insulation products.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #16 - Jan 16th, 2016 at 8:34pm

When polyurethane glue, and "Great Stuff" expand they become open foam that is easily crushed.  As insulation this is a desirable property, because the trapped air is a good insulator. 

Joints glued with polyurethane need to be well clamped because the glue naturally expands and becomes open foam otherwise, making a very weak joint.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #17 - Jan 16th, 2016 at 9:09pm

Don Stephan wrote on Jan 16th, 2016 at 8:34pm:
When polyurethane glue, and "Great Stuff" expand they become open foam that is easily crushed.  As insulation this is a desirable property, because the trapped air is a good insulator.

Joints glued with polyurethane need to be well clamped because the glue naturally expands and becomes open foam otherwise, making a very weak joint.

One of the reasons I don't use it often.
I think a common misconception is that if the foaming fills the gap the joint can be less than perfect.
I have used poly glue for exterior  repairs (not wood). For wood projects I use Titebond 3.

IP Logged

Gene Luby
WR Devotee

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Tuckerton,NJ, New Jersey, USA
Tuckerton,NJ
New Jersey
USA

Reply #18 - Jan 19th, 2016 at 3:07pm

Another trick ,glue both surfaces, I rub the glue in  with my finger to get the glue into the pores, instead of gluing boards face up ,I glue face down, the glue will tend to run down filling any voids in the joint if any, do not over tighten the  clamp pressure ,will squeeze out all the glue weakening the joint

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print