Plate legs (Read 821 times)
william trench

WR Rocks!

South Salem, USA
South Salem
USA

Plate legs
Dec 27th, 2015 at 8:41am

Here is something I payed with a couple of years ago. The bases are segmented cones to orient the grain for the legs and the profile of the cone, turned,  provides the shape and thickness of the leg, the way molding is "returned". If I recall, these both measured about 11".
Bill

wood turned good
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW kitchawanwood  
IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Re: Plate legs
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 9:47am

Great idea, nice prentation of the feature bowl. I had thought of doing something like that, now I know I have to, thanks for the inspiration.

IP Logged

Col Smith

WR Rocks!

Bouvard, Western Australia, Western Australia, Australia
Bouvard, Western Australia
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 10:57pm

Nice job there.
Could you please get a photo of  the underside ?

Cheers
Col

A tidy bench is the sign of a sick mind.

Bowl gouges are like potato chips......you can't have just one.
IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Wood is one of God's hidden /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 11:43pm

Very nice.  I really like this idea.  Are the feet a separate piece or is it attached?  Like Col, pictures of the underside with be great if you have any.

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 11:56am

William I absolutely love the one on the right with the turned look on the legs. Please take a pic. of the under side because I will have to also try this. Great job! I am also inspired by this type work Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2015 at 11:57am by Breck Whitworth »  

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

william trench

WR Rocks!

South Salem, USA
South Salem
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 1:30pm

These are some of the first things I tried coming from a cabinet and furniture  experience. I like the way the classic architectural molding profiles translate to turning. Any 19th century molding profile book will show all the right proportions and relationships of coves, beads, OG's , etc. :  a great place for ideas. I wanted the grain in the legs to run properly , hence the glued up cone. I made a bunch of vessels that hang down through the base, this is one of the first efforts. The bases are glued to the plate/vessel but would not be necessary if the top ring is large enough . I cut a flat( a circular rabbet if you will)  in the vessel to allow glue surface for the base.
The cone ( hollow) must have a diameter high up that is proportional to the vessel and have the right number of segments so the legs don't fall on a joint. Once the outside profile's done ( determined  by the base ring and the leg profile - this is a quickly drawn example) , the inside gets thinned out and it helps towards the end to drill out a space between the legs so you can gauge the thickness. I then use a standing jig saw with a modified foot instead of a table, followed by a Dremel and files.

wood turned good
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW kitchawanwood  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 1:36pm

Great idea Bill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print