WR Rocks!

San Diego, CA, California, USA
San Diego, CA
California
USA

Hello from San Diego
Jan 7th, 2016 at 6:55pm

Hi All,

I thought I'd take the time to introduce my self here. Reporting in from sunny San Diego Smiley I wanted to do something productive on the weekends and thought why not give a shot at woodworking and turning!!! My goals are to make some very fine pens from wood and also from making my own Polyester Resin blanks. I would also like to make custom shave brush handles and use resin to inlay small objects at the bottom of the brush.

I am trying to do this on a small budget so I had originally bought HF Item# 95607 (8 in. x 12 in. 1/3 HP Benchtop Wood Lathe) then decide to return it and get a little bigger one from them. So I ended up with HF Item#65345 10 in. x 18 in. 5 Speed 1/2 HP Benchtop Wood Lathe for about $160 out the door. I looked around and was looking at Jet lathes and other brands but couldn't pass this one up for $160 after taxes. The only thing I wished this Lathe had was the speed control knob. But i guess for my first lathe, and for this cheap, can't complain too much now. I haven't bought any tools, i was looking on local CL and no one has any lathe tools for sale so i'm probably going to pick up their HSS Windsor Design - item#69723 as my starting point and also their 1/2 in mini lathe drill chuck. So for about $220 i can have everything i need to start turning and have fun.

I have a few question regarding if their are any DIY step by step guides on how to use this lathe as a disc sander and other things and I will ask those questions in other appropriate sections. I can already see my self using this lathe as drill press for my pen blanks Smiley

btw this wood-turning hobby can get expensive really quick. OMG those chucks.... their are chucks that cost more than my entire setup!!! i want to buy a chuck but can't afford to spend $80+. I'm going to have to learn how to make my own jam chuck for the shave brushes.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Hello from San Diego
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 9:53am

Welcome Andy, it sound like you're well on your way into the wood turning vortex.
There are many videos and tutorials on the site and don't be afraid to ask any question. Chances are pretty good that someone here has the answer.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 10:47am

Welcome Andy.  Make yourself at home.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Andy Patel
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

San Diego, CA, California, USA
San Diego, CA
California
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 12:14pm

Thank you guys. I can't wait until this weekend to go get me some cheap HF wood turning set and make my first cut Cheesy I'm searching this forum to see if i can find any info on how to use my late for more than just wood turning and seems like i'm not getting much info. I think my keywords are not specific enough.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print