Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
harvesting wood questions (Read 4,410 times)

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Re: harvesting wood questions
Reply #15 - May 14th, 2016 at 12:16pm

Tony R. wrote:
Do you then have to paint or seal the rough turned b? Won't it crack as the moisture escapes, just like with logs?

Yes, I do.
I hit my rough turned bowls with a coat of anchor seal.
I lose very few bowls to cracking. If I do, it is because I left some pith in there somewhere.
They will warp, so leave the rough turned plenty wide, an inch or so is usually hood gor bowls up to 10" or so, maybe an inch and a quarter, or inch and a half for the largest bowls.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #16 - May 17th, 2016 at 1:04pm

Mark Putnam wrote on May 14th, 2016 at 8:24am:
Do you then have to paint or seal the rough turned b? Won't it crack as the moisture escapes, just like with logs?

Yes, I seal the end grain of the green turned blank with AnchorSeal.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Chris Gunsolley

Bowl Turner

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Appleton
Wisconsin
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #17 - May 19th, 2016 at 10:53am

John Cepko wrote on Jan 20th, 2016 at 1:17am:
I love tree crotches.
The 'V' usually is an interesting piece, and you get two per crotch.
Anything that a firewood splitter cant/'won't tackle is good for me.
I like trunks better than branch wood, unless the branch is huge.
Bradford Pear is brittle because the bark grows deep into the crotch, creating a weak place for the branch to break off at the slightest stress. For that reason BP crotches are out, they will fly apart on the lathe. Don't ask me how I know... But, it turns like butter, with long curlies, so get all the solid wood from that tree you can get.

John,

I know this may be tricky to describe, but how do you orient the bowls in the trunk to get two bowls out of the crotch, both exploiting the interesting grain patterns within the crotch?

For instance, say the crotch is standing vertically--approximately as one would naturally grow most of the time--and we're facing the "V" straight on... After cutting the branches off, in cutting the wood with your chainsaw to make blanks, would you cut the wood through the center, the way that you normally would to remove the pith in a cross-grain cut in a log without a crotch? So, where the branches intersect and mend into one piece of wood, one bowl would come from the crotch at the side where one branch was, and another would come from the side where the other branch was? To clarify, if the tree were still standing and we were to draw the bowls on the crotch in the tree, the bowls would be sideways, perpendicular to the ground but as high as possible on that crotch? Basically, one bowl would be on the left half, the other on the right half?

If that doesn't sound quite right, would you please attempt to describe how you would cut your blanks from the crotch to take full advantage of the grain patterns?

Please bear with me. This is tricky to describe and I'm sure to answer. But thank you.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2016 at 10:59am by Chris Gunsolley »  

IP Logged

Mark Putnam

WR Rocks!

Houston, Texas, USA
Houston
Texas
USA

Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" benchtop lathe - 1/2hp motor - Speeds: 826, 1205, 1713, 2422, 3337 RPM
Reply #18 - May 19th, 2016 at 11:10am

Take a look at this, Chris. This is my understanding of how most turners harvest crotch wood. This way you get two similar pieces to work with.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #19 - May 19th, 2016 at 11:21am

In a simplified view, a crotch is just a "Y".  The pith extends upward upwards through the main stem to the junction where it splits and secondary piths continue on through each branch of the "Y".   Imagine a plane that passes through the wood such that the "Y" shape is retained on both sides of the plane.  If the tree is truly symmetrical (and few are), that plane will pass through the main pith in the stem and the secondary pith in each branch.  Simply cut along that plane to create two blanks, each with that same basic 'Y" shape, and with one flat face (where the wood was cut through the pith), and one rounded face (the outside the tree).

If you are making conventional round bowls, just center the circle just below the junction, and adjust it to best use the available wood.  Or,  you can also make an asymmetrical bowl by mounting the blank on a woodworm screw that enters the flat face just below the junction.

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2016 at 11:22am by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

Chris Gunsolley

Bowl Turner

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Appleton
Wisconsin
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #20 - May 19th, 2016 at 11:21am

Mark Putnam wrote on May 19th, 2016 at 11:10am:
Take a look at this, Chris. This is my understanding of how most turners harvest crotch wood. This way you get two similar pieces to work with.

Oooh, nice! That's not what I was describing, so thank you for this because apparently in my conception above I was orienting the wood in a less optimal way. By this, you wouldn't cut the wood as if you're splitting the "V" as I described above, and I'd think of this better way as 'duplicating' the "V," as opposed to splitting it.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2016 at 11:25am by Chris Gunsolley »  

IP Logged

Chris Gunsolley

Bowl Turner

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Appleton
Wisconsin
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #21 - May 19th, 2016 at 11:29am

Louie Powell wrote on May 19th, 2016 at 11:21am:
In a simplified view, a crotch is just a "Y".  The pith extends upward upwards through the main stem to the junction where it splits and secondary piths continue on through each branch of the "Y".   Imagine a plane that passes through the wood such that the "Y" shape is retained on both sides of the plane.  If the tree is truly symmetrical (and few are), that plane will pass through the main pith in the stem and the secondary pith in each branch.  Simply cut along that plane to create two blanks, each with that same basic 'Y" shape, and with one flat face (where the wood was cut through the pith), and one rounded face (the outside the tree).

If you are making conventional round bowls, just center the circle just below the junction, and adjust it to best use the available wood.  Or,  you can also make an asymmetrical bowl by mounting the blank on a woodworm screw that enters the flat face just below the junction.

Your description seems consistent with what Mark suggested with that picture, and thank you for the clarification.

Also, that's an interesting idea you have on the asymmetrical bowl from this section. I imagine the asymmetry combined with the dramatic grain patterns could get quite interesting...

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #22 - May 19th, 2016 at 7:09pm

The feather figure in a crotch is at the pith, so orient your bowl so the bottom is closest to the pith (although that should have been removed from each blank) and the rim faces the bark.  Probably almost all of use turned a crotch bowl once with the rim facing the center of the log and all the crotch figure became shavings.

More than once I've read that osage orange turns from orange to brown with time, and that dry osage orange is about as hard as concrete.

Bruce Hoadley's book "Understanding Wood" is a great reference even for turners, not just furniture makers.  In it he explains why branch wood is not used for lumber - another name for it is reaction wood.  I would expect bowls from branch wood to warp more than those from the trunk of the tree.

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #23 - May 19th, 2016 at 7:49pm

Chris Gunsolley wrote on May 19th, 2016 at 10:53am:
John Cepko wrote on Jan 20th, 2016 at 1:17am:
I love tree crotches.
The 'V' usually is an interesting piece, and you get two per crotch.
Anything that a firewood splitter cant/'won't tackle is good for me.
I like trunks better than branch wood, unless the branch is huge.
Bradford Pear is brittle because the bark grows deep into the crotch, creating a weak place for the branch to break off at the slightest stress. For that reason BP crotches are out, they will fly apart on the lathe. Don't ask me how I know... But, it turns like butter, with long curlies, so get all the solid wood from that tree you can get.

John,

I know this may be tricky to describe, but how do you orient the bowls in the trunk to get two bowls out of the crotch, both exploiting the interesting grain patterns within the crotch?

For instance, say the crotch is standing vertically--approximately as one would naturally grow most of the time--and we're facing the "V" straight on... After cutting the branches off, in cutting the wood with your chainsaw to make blanks, would you cut the wood through the center, the way that you normally would to remove the pith in a cross-grain cut in a log without a crotch? So, where the branches intersect and mend into one piece of wood, one bowl would come from the crotch at the side where one branch was, and another would come from the side where the other branch was? To clarify, if the tree were still standing and we were to draw the bowls on the crotch in the tree, the bowls would be sideways, perpendicular to the ground but as high as possible on that crotch? Basically, one bowl would be on the left half, the other on the right half?

If that doesn't sound quite right, would you please attempt to describe how you would cut your blanks from the crotch to take full advantage of the grain patterns?

Please bear with me. This is tricky to describe and I'm sure to answer. But thank you.

I do mine as the others above me described.
If the crotch is a simple Y , I line up the piths of both branches of the Y, wnd cut a line on the outside bark of each branch.
Then I go to the trunk end of the Y, and try to make a line on the same plane as the first. This might/will involve orienting the log, and propping it up so as to be able to get a good line... Imagine the Y on its side.
I like to cut down the side of the log, and right through the center of both branches. I cut down the side to avoid cutting pure end grain.
The first couple can be tricky, but then it gets easier to get the best blank from a log.
Now, if you have 3 or more branches coming from a node, take your pick.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2016 at 7:50pm by John Cepko »  

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #24 - May 20th, 2016 at 12:38pm

Chris, I've got to try splitting the V. Should give a whole different grain pattern.  Make the split the bottom of the bowl.

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Chris Gunsolley

Bowl Turner

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Appleton
Wisconsin
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #25 - May 20th, 2016 at 4:37pm

Glenn Jacobs wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 12:38pm:
Chris, I've got to try splitting the V. Should give a whole different grain pattern.  Make the split the bottom of the bowl.

Glenn J.

So, by this, you would get one bowl from the side where one branch was, and another from where the other branch was, correct?

As if splitting the Y exactly in half, then the bowl bottoms would be toward the pith? (On the part where the base of the "V" meets...)
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2016 at 4:38pm by Chris Gunsolley »  

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #26 - May 20th, 2016 at 6:46pm

Chris

After chainsawing a Y fork, I have two Y shaped pieces - I have no idea what is meant by "splitting the Y".

IP Logged

Chris Gunsolley

Bowl Turner

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Appleton
Wisconsin
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #27 - May 20th, 2016 at 6:51pm

Don Stephan wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 6:46pm:
Chris

After chainsawing a Y fork, I have two Y shaped pieces - I have no idea what is meant by "splitting the Y".

OK, I get it. That's consistent with the picture Mark provided. Thanks.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #28 - May 24th, 2016 at 12:14pm

I normally cut so I have 2 Y pieces. The idea of cutting down the V is out of my thinking box that I've got to try it to see what the grain pattern looks like.

Glenn j.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chris Gunsolley

Bowl Turner

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Appleton
Wisconsin
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #29 - May 26th, 2016 at 10:04am

Glenn Jacobs wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 12:14pm:
I normally cut so I have 2 Y pieces. The idea of cutting down the V is out of my thinking box that I've got to try it to see what the grain pattern looks like.

Glenn j.

You know, what might be interesting about that is that as you work down the V, on each side you should see both a directional and diameter shift in the growth rings of each half. This might produce an interesting grain pattern with an entirely different theme than would the other (more common) method that duplicates (as opposed to splits) the V.

The theme of the other method is a combination of multiple sets of growth rings into the bowl, but when you split the V in half (as opposed to duplicating it) as we are considering, generally that directional shift in the growth rings should produce features such as drastic changes in the space between the lines in the grain and have an entirely different transitional phase affect. 
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2016 at 10:07am by Chris Gunsolley »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print