WR Patron

Enjoy the ride!

Aurora, Illinois, USA
Aurora
Illinois
USA

Piercing question
Jan 26th, 2016 at 2:49pm

I have a Dremel 3000 which I would like to try some simple piercing with. Has anyone used a dremel for this and, if so, what bits do you recommend to use? Thanks!

Never do anything halfway!
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Piercing question
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 4:48pm

Dremels are ok to start but you won't be able to do fine detail work

A dremal will spin at 30,000 RPM while the NSK Handpiece spins at 320,000 RPM. They are also a bit more expensive.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This might be a good starter bur
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 7:18pm

Jeff I have to agree completely with Ron. I have pierced 1/8" thick pieces but I used a micro-motor tool that runs at 45,000 rpms  a Dremel would run slower and really gives you and your turning a workout. I am not saying you can't do it but it would be a endurance contest as well as take great patience to not push your tool too hard because it will take so long.
The bits I use with my NSK are these
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. Then I use these to clean up any burrs or feathering that is produced by the piercing bits,
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register I use the #703 Bits
1/16" bits are used in my NSK
1/8" bits are used in my micro motor tool
If you decide to go with the NSK someday, you will need to be able to turn 1/16" to 3/32 wall thickness (3/32 at the most.)
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2016 at 7:19pm by Breck Whitworth »  

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Jeff Hart
WR Patron

Enjoy the ride!

Aurora, Illinois, USA
Aurora
Illinois
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 7:06am

Thanks for the feedback Ron & Breck. I figured the dremel would be a bit underpowered. I checked into the cost of the NSK unit...Ouch! But if I want to play with the big boys, we will see.

Never do anything halfway!
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 9:37am

Just a FYI

The Owners of TreelineUSA and CraftSuppliesUSA (CSUSA) are brothers and in my opinion both offer the same quality of service.

IP Logged

Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 11:26am

Try using your dermal on piece of scrap wood the 1/4", 3/16", 1/8" and 1/16".  You will see instantly what they are talking about.  Doesn't have to anything dramatic, just a few holes. There are some 1/8" dermal bits, but what you will see is how they perform.  I use the Turbo Carver which works pretty good.  I would not recommend any wood thicker than 3/32".  Good luck!

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 8:26am

Jeff I meant to give you this information on bits I used before buying the NSK and they will work in your dremel and in a micro motor tool and these cut sideways and drill. They are the cheapest bits for piercing that work very well in 1/8" thick wood.
Packard woodworks is the only online source I found
2 Piece Mini Saw/Drill Set  they cost about $15.95 and you get two bits they are 1/8 diameter shaft bit and a smaller one. I am so sorry for not giving you this before now but I just forgot. Undecided    I used these on my first shadow dancers
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2016 at 8:26am by Breck Whitworth »  

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print