Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Use of epoxy or acrylic (Read 1,598 times)

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Use of epoxy or acrylic
Feb 6th, 2016 at 10:10pm

Has anyone tried to use either epoxy or acrylic as accent lines in a turning? My thinking was to carve accent bands with a skew or parting tool then fill with epoxy/acrylic. I have had good luck in coloring them and thought it might be interesting but thought I would inquire to see if I am missing something.
Thanks

IP Logged

Ron Carrabotta
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Dawsonville, ga, Georgia, USA
Dawsonville, ga
Georgia
USA

Jet 1014 VS
Jet 1642 -2EVS
Powermatic 3520B
Re: Use of epoxy or acrylic
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 9:12am

Bruce,

We've done several bowls with an epoxy accent rim. works well on the rim but too messy ( for us anyway) to use on the sides. Epoxy is VERY fluid and will seek out any avenue to escape.

We used West System epoxy on the bowl shown below colored with acrylic artist paint.

Good luck!

Ron
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2016 at 6:39am by Ron Carrabotta »  

It is easier to be forgiven than to get permission!

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 11:02am

Here is a couple of pictures of an epoxy feature in a bowl. Works great. The epoxy and insert are full depth of blank.
As Ron noted WestbSystem epoxy is great at finding every crack or crevice,  Angry just never be sure the containment is done or it can get messy. DAMHIKT.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2016 at 11:05am by Bert Delisle »  

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 9:22pm

Bert, Looks terrific! Assume the insert is wood and not epoxy? Could epoxy be used for the bison? How did you cut the bowl so the insert fit so exact? Was the blank cut purposely cut where the epoxy is to help made the opening for the insert?

Thankx, Glenn

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:24am

Yea Glenn, the bison is Walnut, the bowl is Zebra wood about 8" dia. The insert and board were marked using the same template and cut on the line with a 1/8" bandsaw blade, the epoxy was tinted greenish brown with oil based paint, the pieces were positioned to have a gap of about 1/8" or less.
I do believe the whole insert could have been epoxy but I was more interested in the woods contrasting.
One of the Calgary woodturners guild members does a lot of platters using this technique and showed me how it was done.

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Supporter

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 9:21am

I've used tinted 5 minute epoxy to fill voids and intentional piercings. As has been said, it can get messy. If the hole to be filled goes all the way through the piece, I fill from the inside. I wrap the outside in tape, then fill. You can only fill those holes that you can turn to be on the horizontal, then turn the piece a bit when the epoxy has set up enough that it does not run, and fill some more. It's slow, but it works well.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 1:05pm

Ron - which West System Epoxy do you use?

Thanks - Dave G.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Ron Carrabotta
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Dawsonville, ga
Georgia
USA

Jet 1014 VS
Jet 1642 -2EVS
Powermatic 3520B
Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 3:39pm

Dave,

My bad, I just went out to the shop and looked. We used MAS Low Viscosity Resin and MAS medium- Non Blushing hardener.

We used West  System on one of the kayaks we built years ago and I can't remember which one it was.

Just about ANY epoxy will work, as Grant pointed out, I've used 5 min epoxy with dye or paint for smaller cracks etc. and it works great. Wouldn't recommend 5 min for a large project like the rim of a bowl though.

Ron

IP Logged

Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 6:48pm

Ron - thanks for the correction and sorry I have not returned your post sooner - life gets in the way sometimes.

I have some 2 part Locktite 5 minute epoxy that I got at one of the big box stores and have used it with gold, red and other color glitters, coffee grounds, key grindings, turquoise powder among other stuff to fill cracks, voids and to add accents. Always looking for other fun stuff to try.

I do have some 2 part Bondo resin that I want to try sometime also - ever used it?

Dave G.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Ron Carrabotta
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Dawsonville, ga
Georgia
USA

Jet 1014 VS
Jet 1642 -2EVS
Powermatic 3520B
Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 7:14pm

Dave,

Never used the Bondo, the two part Locktite is what I use for small stuff.

As long as the Bondo is clear or white it should work.

Ron

IP Logged

Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 7:51pm

Ron - this is Bondo Fiberglass Resin - says it will repair "small to large holes, cracks, rust-outs, or gouges in any fiberglass, metal, wood or concrete surface including pools, boats, sheds, play equipment and more"

It says that it is sandable in 2 hours and cleanup with acetone or laquer thinner.

Guess I will have to try it the next time instead of the usual 5 minute epoxy or CA clue.

Dave G.

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Supporter

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 7:56pm

Me Too.  Let us know if it works well.

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 10:54am

i've been using 5-min epoxy on some narrower cracks, adding various fillers like glitter or powders and gotten good results in general.....had a problem with one where the bit was slightly larger, and remained....rubbery....after it cured.    Not sure if the epoxy was old, unevenly mixed, or just the way that material is....    I've heard people say the polyester resins have a "harder" finish to them, but a longer cure time, making them problematic for bowl work....
   I've picked up a couple different types of resins to see if they will have similar properties or not....

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 9:08pm

I am looking to accent lines around the circumference of the bowl. It sounds like I might be able to get away with it if I cut the crevice to hold to epoxy deep enough so that I can turn away the epoxy that leaks out. I'm thinking that maybe I could coat the crevice with CA first so that the epoxy doesn't bleed below the surface. Just an idea. Will try and report back. It may be a bit since I am stuck in Florida now playing golf.  Sad

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #14 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 11:57am

there is a product called Inlace (I know craft supply sells it) that you can get a "thickener" to add to it to keep it from oozing off a piece before it hardens   -- has lots of options for "add-ins" to give it color or texture as well....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print