Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Respirator Dust Filters (Read 322 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Respirator Dust Filters
Feb 7th, 2016 at 12:04pm

Hoping to write a couple paragraphs for the local woodturning group about respirator dust filters.  Have a technical question I hope someone in the industry can answer. 

The relevant regulation seems to be "42 CFR Part 84" which I found by searching the Internet.  Three different particulate standards.  N-series tested using particulates .075 microns in size, R- and P-series tested using larger particulates, .185 microns in size.  Dust collector HEPA filters that are always recommended to woodworkers trap particulates to .3 microns.

N95, R95, and P95 must stop at least 95% of the tested particulate size; N99, R99, and P99 must stop at least 99% of the tested particulate size; and N110, R100, and P100 must stop at least 99.97% of the tested particulate size.

I found literature online for one manufacturer of respirators, MSA, and the only particulates-only filter they offer is a P100.  N95 and R95 capability is in the form of pre-filters to be used in conjunction with one of their chemical respirator cartridges.

Is my reading of 42 CFR 84 correct?

Has anyone with wood allergies found a P100 filter effective protection?  Has anyone needed the higher filtering of an N100 filter for their allergies, and if so where did you find the filter?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Re: Respirator Dust Filters
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 1:20pm

I believe the Letter designation relates to the filters reaction to oils. N= not oil resistant, R = resistant to oil,limited exposure, P= good for any environment oils and vapours. The number associated with each relates to the percentage of filtering of sized particle that can be trapped. As with any filter there is always some medium being passed through, the filters just reduce the quantity. For allergies a filter may not be effective, depending on the allergic persons response.
I believe most wood turners are interested in reducing the dust particles, not the ones you can see but the ones that are so small they can get into the deep recesses of the lungs, this is where the particle size rating is important.
smokers have been filling there lungs with smoke particles for years before succumbing to the effects. MTCW.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2016 at 1:21pm by Bert Delisle »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print