Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Easing Scraper Long Edges (Read 931 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Easing Scraper Long Edges
Feb 23rd, 2016 at 11:36am

Often my scrapers are rotated for shear scraping and the sharp edges don't easily glide along the toolrest.  I've seen several recommendations to put a slight radius on the long edges using a belt sander.  Scrapers are a hard metal.  Can anyone suggest what type of abrasive and grit size I should buy for my 4 x 24 belt sander?  During the work I would secure the sander upside down by holding the handle in a workbench vise.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Louie Powell
WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Re: Easing Scraper Long Edges
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 12:06pm

Don

This need isn't limited to scrapers, but also applies to any other tool whose shank has a rectangular or square cross section.  The most common other example would be skews.

I used a disc rather than a belt - with 220 grit aluminum oxide abrasive.  The key is to soften the square edges that would tend to catch on your tool rest, but you can't really go too far - there's nothing wrong reducing the edge all the way to a radius.

However, softening the edges of the tool isn't the whole story.  You will get scratches and nicks in your tool rest, and occasionally you should file down the top and then polish it with an abrasive.

Louie

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 12:07pm

I have eased the edges on my CBN wheels, but it isn't an easy thing to get almost perfectly smooth. I have straight edge wheels, and it might be easier on the radius edge wheels. There are blue belts from Norton Abrasives called Norzon, which are specially for metal. You may have to go to a welding supply place to get them. The red aluminum oxide belts dull very fast. 60 grit is good for roughing, 120 is almost polished. I don't think they make 220 in the blue stuff, but that is shiny. I would start with them almost flat on the belt, and just roll them up to vertical. Light pressure, and have them pointing across the belt, like you are turning a spindle...

I also use scrapers for all of my shear scraping, and don't understand why all scrapers don't come with the edges eased like skew chisels.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 12:53pm

I used what ever belt happen to be on my belt sander, probably 80 or 120 grit.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 11:15pm

I use a 4-1/2" angle grinder with a sanding disc.  Much easier, for me anyway, to keep a nice smooth edge than on a belt sander or bench grinder. Whatever general purpose sanding discs you've got will work fine.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 1:37am

Polished is nice if you can do it, and worth the effort. Mostly if you have a polished edge and a hardened drill rod on the rest, it feels like there is no friction as you move the tool across the tool rest. 120 is a bit coarse, especially if your rest is cast iron.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 10:39am

you can start the process with a good xxxx-cut mill file....chamfer the corner to a 45, then "chamfer the chamfer" so you have three "flats"....then start rocking the file as your cutting to create a radius...

You can also clamp the tool in a vise, and use a "shoe-shine" method using strips of emery cloth    This automatically creates nicely rounded edge, and by stepping up the grades, you can create a pretty fair polish on the edge pretty quickly.....

depending on your tool situation, it might be faster using a combination of these

IP Logged

Jurriaan Kalkman

just below the middle, Netherlands
just below the middle
Netherlands

Reply #7 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 9:03am

Will a mill file work on hardened hss?

Well, I'm a Dutchman!
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #8 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 11:00pm

That depends who made it Roll Eyes  Old carbon steel tools, yes.  I've had cheap import "HSS" tools that could easily be filed.  PROPERLY hardened HSS, no, not really.

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 2:04am

Jeff Vanden Boogart wrote on Feb 29th, 2016 at 11:00pm:
That depends who made it Roll Eyes Old carbon steel tools, yes. I've had cheap import "HSS" tools that could easily be filed. PROPERLY hardened HSS, no, not really.

I guess the file test would be a good indicator of tool quality?
After you've bought it, of course.

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 10:35pm

A way to roughly test hardness at least. Anything that files without much trouble won't stay sharp very long.....
unless of course, you got a really crappy file...LOL

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print