Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dealing with Limitations (Read 2,523 times)
Frank Johnston
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Bremerton, Washington, USA
Bremerton
Washington
USA

Jet 1014I (Modified to 1219I) :)
Re: Dealing with Limitations
Reply #15 - May 4th, 2016 at 9:45pm

Found this bit in this years May/June issue of PM. Thumbs Up

"GLOVE FIGHTS HAND TREMORS AND KEEPS HANDS STEADY"

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care, Frank J
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2016 at 1:34pm by Frank Johnston »  

All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. -Charles Kingsley-
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde-

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 8:00pm

I like this topic and when I think of more things I will write them down and post them.

About 2 years after I was in a bombing in the middle east I started turning in a wheel chair.

I found I tried to move the chair all the time and learned to use both hands to make it much easier to turn and less moving all around.  I had a mobile bench made for me that when done the lathe was at the right height for me to work at which was 23" and the width was 7' and 36" wide with cubby holes underneath.  I also had a vertical 3/4" plywood board on the back with 2x4 uprights to make it very stable which held my turning tools and everything else.  On the right side was the grinder which was only 12" away from the end of my mini lathe.  On the far left side was a small cabinet 2'x2'x5" deep to hold all the glues and finishes.

So the biggest thing I am trying to say is make your work space Just for you and able to handle everything You need without moving much. 

About 4 years ago I have taught a blind person how to turn and to help him id the tools it started with either a groove or bead to ID the size of the tool.

* The very first thing I have always taught was safety both before turning on a power tool and during operation and after they were done on the lathe.  I always told them that since they are disabled they do not need to make themselves worse by getting hurt turning.

Safty tips

1. Make sure you are feeling OK to turn and NOT Almost OK since it will be your first injury of Not thinking properly.

2. Before turning on the lathe check the speed or the belt position and make sure it is on the speed you need to start.  Also make sure everything is OK with the lathe and tools before use.  Keep a phone handy and any numbers that you may need to call in case of emergency.

3. Always ware a face shield no exceptions.  Also make sure everyone watching is wearing one also.

4. Check your wood before you put it on the lathe for cracks and any other defects that might make the blank fly at you or parts of it coming off and flying at you.  If why go to * above.

5. Make sure you have all the tools available that you will need to use including finishes.

6. Use breathing protection when sanding and keep it on even with using finishing products since it might splatter.

7. Know what is happening around you so you do not get startled.  Also if someone is coming in the shop have them flick the lights on and off for the same reason.

8. Know when to stop turning.  You may be getting tired or going past your limits, and that you do NOT have to finish a project today.

9. Let someone know that you are going into the shop so either they can check on you or know where to find you incase something happens to you.

I have others but will stop for now.  To me this is a ton of writing.  Embarrassed Undecided

Arlin

It is always the right time; To do the right thing

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #17 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 2:49pm

Several years ago, I had a detached retina.  It was possible to correct the detachment anatomically (with four surgeries), but it wasn't possible to restore anything near normal vision.  As a result, with one eye, I have a problem with close-range depth perception.

The vision problem caused me to give up my long-time hobby of darkroom photography because with only one functioning eye, it's not possible to have good depth perception under subdued lighting.  But curiously, I am able to compensate while turning by flooding the working area on my lathe with light, and in particular by having a very strong light over the lathe that I can adjust to throw distinct shadows.

The experience of losing an eye also taught me to be adamant about using a full face shield when turning, and safety glasses when doing anything else in the shop.

Louie

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print