Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Centering rings (Read 667 times)

Chris Fontana
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Centering rings
Mar 7th, 2016 at 12:53pm

What is the best way to center the rings and base when gluing up a bowl.   I have heard of cones or lazy suzannes or just measuring?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Centering rings
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 4:03pm

I've always just eyeballed it when it came to centering rings durning a glue up

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Gary R Webb
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Peoria AZ, Arizona, USA
Peoria AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 7:40am

wood turners pro stomper works very well you can build one for under $20 Thumbs Up

The wife said I never listen  at least thats what i think she said

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 9:57am

I need clarification.
Are you talking about alignment or keeping rings aligned during glue-up.
Alignment is usually done by eye as Ron mentioned or a few simple pencil marks.
Keeping adjacent rings from slipping during the glue-up process can take many different forms depending on all the variables associated with the two rings to be glued.

IP Logged

Chris Fontana
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 12:35pm

Thanks for your help.   I am not an experienced turner and refer to myself as a "therapeutic turner".  When I am turning I forget my medical problems.  I have made several basic segemented bowls, but recently tried to make a "polka dot" bowl that I saw the plans for online. This requires the rings to be perfected centered or the dots are different sizes.  I have tried twice and have nice bowls as long as you don't turn them around.  I really appreciate all the information you people provide.

Chris

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 1:19pm

Now I "think" know What you're trying to do.
You've constructed a laminated "polka-dot" feature ring and attempted to align it onto some type of sub base.
There a a couple of ways to go about this.
You can make your polka-dot feature ring first. Mount the ring in a way it can be adjusted and turn until all dots are uniform in size and then attach the base to the "centered" feature ring. Turn the outside of the base (driven by the centered feature ring) and then reverse mount to complete.
Another method
It's almost impossible to center rings accurately enough to have all the circles identical in diameter. The margin for error is almost too small to measure.
The only way I know to be sure is to first construct you piece with extra thickness for the walls.
After the basic rough turning is complete, then you need to cut facets (flat spots) around the perimeter, where you can then glue your polka-dot veneer or lamination.
This is the tricky part.
Typically a router jig that moves along the lathe ways is required, really not to difficult to build. Using some type of indexing you align and cut the facets
Truing the piece before you cut the facets is the only way to be certain that everything is centered.
This method may seem overly difficult but it has other applications, beyond just design enhancements.

IP Logged

Don Bunce
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

Valparaiso, Indiana, USA
Valparaiso
Indiana
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 7:51pm

The way I align the rings is to first attach the base piece to the faceplate, (or chuck) mount on the lathe, and use the point of a skew to make a tiny mark at dead center.

Leaving the base piece attached to the faceplate, remove from the lathe, and center the first ring by eye. Then, using a set of dividers, place one point in the center mark, and adjust the other point to the inside of the ring at 12 o'clock, then 6 o'clock, adjusting both the ring position and dividers till they are equal. Then check at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. It might take a few adjustments to get them all equal, but goes fairly quick.

Continue with the remaining rings, using the center mark for all to avoid any cumulative errors with successive rings.

Hope this makes sense...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print