Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just wondering (Read 2,150 times)
Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Just wondering
Mar 8th, 2016 at 7:31pm

Just wondering what you all expect to pay for entry into craft shows. Do you have a limit? Is more better? What do you look for in a craft show add?
Just wondering,
Thanks, Lee

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jeff Hart

Enjoy the ride!

Aurora, Illinois, USA
Aurora
Illinois
USA

Re: Just wondering
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 8:32pm

I never really thought about what to expect to pay. It was more of where I thought my work would sell. I started doing shows 3 years ago. First year was mostly craft shows but I quickly realized that I needed to go to fine art shows and its been great. Most of my shows are in the Chicago area but I also go to Wisconsin and some southern states. Craft show fees ran $125-$175 for a 2 day show. Art shows run me $250-$450.

Never do anything halfway!
IP Logged

jeff bernaeyge
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

hampshire,il, Illinois, USA
hampshire,il
Illinois
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 1:17pm

jeff hit it right on the head. if your doing craftshows it will depend on the size aswell. I have done a few craft show so far and they have gone from 35 on up.

remedywoodworking@hotmail.com
nova 1624-44
jet 10-15vs

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 2:46pm

If you can, go to a show you are interested in this year.  If you like what you see then apply the next year.  Stay away from shows that have manufactured products like Tupper ware, Elvis blankets, Mexican Imports etc.  At least around here those are a total waste of time.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 3:32pm

To revise Al's comment...

If you like what you see... DON'T wait till next year!!! Try to apply asap as alot of the shows are booked a couple of years ahead.

If nothing else, you will be on their list for when they send out the call for entrants.

While you are there, find the person in charge and get it started. Smiley Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Jeff Hart

Enjoy the ride!

Aurora, Illinois, USA
Aurora
Illinois
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 4:33pm

Before I started doing shows, my wife and I spent the entire summer and fall the year before going to both types of shows to get a feel for show organization & presentation, booth setup & displays, and pricing/quality. I still like to go around at the shows I'm in to look at other booth displays and get ideas, which have helped since I'm in the process of changing mine. Also, talk to the vendors to get a feel about the shows they do. Most are willing to suggest what works for them and where successful shows are.

Never do anything halfway!
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 7:44pm

And look at how many visitors are carrying purchases.  A great looking show isn't so great if the visitors aren't buying.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 12:42am

Lee, as has been said, there is a big difference between craft fairs, arts and craft fairs, and art fairs. The cost of the entry fee can be, but not always, an indication of the caliber of the show.  Many of the art fairs are now charging a jury fee just to apply and then if you are accepted, there is a booth fee that you must pay.  Most of the shows/fairs are now using an online 3rd party for applications.  Check out zapplication.org, they have a lot of shows all across the country. You can look at the different shows they have on their site and see what the cost are, application time line, etc.

The other thing you need to think about is to make sure you have a clear understanding of the sales tax laws in the state where the show is and also if a state and/or city sales tax license is required.

Good luck and hope this has helped.

Steve

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 8:11am

Thanks Steve and all. I do see names mean something. I just went to a "craft and vendors" show. I was the only craft as I found out what they mean by "vendors". The only show I did not sell in.
Lee

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 9:20am

I remember doing an "arts & crafts" show long ago... I was selling my (TRYING to sell) photography and across from me was a guy who had the most beautiful stain glass pieces.

Neither of us sold a single thing but the guy next door who had made Giraffes out of 3/4 pine boards...and it LOOKED like it... was selling all day.

Most of the stuff sold were low end crafts. Needless to say the description of the show was a far cry from the reality. Shocked

I also remember doing a show in North Jersey where I sold over $500 of my photos (above the entrance fee) for the 2 days of the show at a time where I wasn't making that much per week at my day job!!

Then the recession hit!!! Cry

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 10:38pm

LOL, Ralph, you hit the nail on the head. This winter, at a so called craft show, a couple sold the heck put of scrap, old, lumber for with coat hooks on them all day. I sold some but I wanted to throw mine away and get some old crappy boards and sell coat hooks.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 11:38am

And of course, return on investment can vary widely.  Years ago, poorly cut pine lots of splinters) pine what-not shelves with a very blotchy walnut stain sold like hotcakes for maybe $12?  Couple dollars for materials, an hour or so labor.  Deduct show fee and travel costs, a day to load and unload, travel times, one or two days for the show, possibly lodging costs. . .  They moved a lot of product, and took from visitors money that might have been spent on artisanal products.  Today the hotcakes items might be wooden pop guns, aprons, . . .  There will always be these types of products at some shows, you'll have to decide if you want to be alongside them.

Does Sunshine magazine still exist?  It used to list upcoming shows around the country in each issue.

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #12 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 1:20pm

Sunshine still exists

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #13 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 8:43am

Depending on where you are, do a google for Rose Squared Productions. They were  THE one to book with back when I was doing them.

Most of their shows are in North Jersey but back then, they also did a couple down in Florida in the winter.

Thay were very picky about the quality of the work and the shows were always a big draw with the disposable cash crowd. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print