Tumbling Bowl #2 (Read 1,530 times)
Ray Stubbs

WR Rocks!

Columbia, Mo., USA
Columbia, Mo.
USA

Tumbling Bowl #2
Mar 9th, 2016 at 3:28pm

This bowl is the sister to the posting on 2-12-2016.
It is made of cedar, cherry, padauk and maple. There are 255 pieces total, with 150 in the top ring. It is 3 Ύ” high and 10 Ύ” dia.
It took about 2 months to fit and glue and I don’t want to do it again any time soon.
Walt I did see the math problem you talked about. Not only for the angles, but the number and width of the darker pieces in the top ring.
Thank you Walt for your help.
C and C welcome.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2016 at 3:32pm by Ray Stubbs »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Re: Tumbling Bowl #2
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 4:02pm

Ray - Nice work! I wish I could see this in person.  Stunning! Thumbs Up  You must have the patience of a saint! Smiley

IP Logged

Julian Roslanowski

WR Rocks!

Rancho Cucamonga, California, USA
Rancho Cucamonga
California
USA

PM 3520B
Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 10:40am

It looks fantastic.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 12:56pm

Very nice work the tumbling blocks are fantastic Thumbs Up
My only critique comment, please do not take offence, the dark bars in the layers appeared to be too organized and takes away some of the "wow" factor of the blocks.  If they were staggered and or on an angle, (wedgie sled with miter angle) then the eye would be drawn into the center and back out again. JMHO
I appreciate how much effort goes into making this piece and it is stunning.  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Ray Stubbs

WR Rocks!

Columbia, Mo., USA
Columbia, Mo.
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 1:54pm

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it.

IP Logged

Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 2:14pm

An awesome looking bowl.  The geodesic cubes on the bowl bottom is tough enough to assemble properly.  Taking it to the rim is a whole other world of difficulty.  I have had a lot of people ask about making one but you are the first to show your efforts.  I've been called a glutton for punishment.  Ray you two are a glutton for punishment!  Congrats on a great bowl!

IP Logged

Clyde Adcox
WR Devotee

WR Rocks!

Bogalusa, Louisiana, USA
Bogalusa
Louisiana
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 8:44am

Fantastic work. I am mesmerizing by the looks of this bowl - both yours and Walts.
I am still trying to figure out how the top ring is assembled. Could I ask for a side and top views.  Thanks C. Adcox

IP Logged

Ray Stubbs

WR Rocks!

Columbia, Mo., USA
Columbia, Mo.
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 9:27am

Thanks for all comments. I'll try to add the pictures and a brief explanation of how I did it.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2016 at 9:30am by Ray Stubbs »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 12:10pm

LOL, I look forward to a "Brief" explanation too.

IP Logged

Ray Stubbs

WR Rocks!

Columbia, Mo., USA
Columbia, Mo.
USA

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 3:59pm

The following instructions are given for how to make the top ring on the bowl. I am assuming everyone can get the lower portion without help.
Beginning with the 3 figures shown, no. 1 is the hexagon block, no. 2 is the same block altered as shown. No. 3 is the same block shown in relationship to the bowl.
First, a determination needs to be made on the number of hexagon blocks required. The number of hexagon blocks on this bowl is 30. (A different number of blocks may be used, but the process is the same.) With that number it is found that 360 degrees divided by 30 equals 12 degrees. 12 degrees is the inclusive angle, and is shown in figure 3 of the hexagon block after adjustments. I have cut or ground off 6 degrees from each side of the hexagon block.
With some inspection it is determined where the diameter of these blocks will be placed on the bowl. Looking at figure 3 the diametrical position of the ring is roughly 1/3 of the width of the ring from the outside. Taking in consideration there will be filler blocks added outside and inside of the hexagon ring.
On this bowl the diameter line is at a diameter of 10.75 inches or a radius of 5.375. There are two edge points where the diameter of 10.75 passes through the hexagon and represent the hypotenuse of a right triangle, as shown in figure 3, and the radius is 5.375. The right triangle is formed from the center of the bowl to the middle of “w” then down to the edge of the hexagon. Now to calculate “w” shown in figure 3, trigonometry tells us that w/2 equals the sine of 6 degrees multiplied by the hypotenuse. Then “w” equals 2 times the results.
When the numbers are crunched, it is found that w/2 equals .562 or 9/16 of an inch. This number is the width of the 3 different woods that is used to make the hexagon. The height will be Ύ of an inch.
If the wood is cut at 9/16”w x 3/4”h then the hexagon of the correct size of 1 1/8 inches across the flats, which is w.
With adequate wood, of 3 different shades, cut to the dimensions as described above, and on the table saw set the blade to 30 degrees from vertical and make a first cut with the piece positioned with the 3/4” dimension horizontal. Then set a stop to make the next cut so that the dimension across the flat is .649 or as near as possible. You will need to use calipers for this operation. Notice the angled length is the same as the horizontal length. Cut 30 pieces of each wood then you are ready to glue the hexagon together.
For the inside and the outside, place the glued ring on a piece of wood, of your choice, both inside and outside pieces should be of a different wood than are used to make the hexagon. Then scribe a line around for the filler pieces and cut these out and glue into place. From the corner of the hexagon, it will be the highest point, 3/8 to ½ inches of material was added. Also the filler pieces are positioned with the grain parallel to the ring.
I hope this helps. If anyone needs further clarification, send me a message with contact information and I’ll get back to you.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2016 at 4:02pm by Ray Stubbs »  

IP Logged

Ray Stubbs

WR Rocks!

Columbia, Mo., USA
Columbia, Mo.
USA

Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 4:48pm

Clyde the original post was a top view of the bowl. Attached is a side view.
Sorry this took so long, but I have been transitioning from being a snow bird in Fl. back home.
Thanks for the comments.
Walt you are right about the brief explanation. I don't know how to condense that down and have it make sense.

IP Logged

Clyde Adcox
WR Devotee

WR Rocks!

Bogalusa, Louisiana, USA
Bogalusa
Louisiana
USA

Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 5:28pm

Thanks Ray for the explanation. Very good job. Follow your explanation up to - "From the corner of the hexagon, it will be the highest point, 3/8 to ½ inches of material was added."
Also is the top ring cut as a simple angle cut or a stave cut? That is why I was wanting pictures.
Thanks a lot Clyde

IP Logged

Clyde Adcox
WR Devotee

WR Rocks!

Bogalusa, Louisiana, USA
Bogalusa
Louisiana
USA

Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 5:56pm

I see now about the high spot.
Thanks again. Clyde

IP Logged

Ray Stubbs

WR Rocks!

Columbia, Mo., USA
Columbia, Mo.
USA

Reply #13 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 6:16pm

(Also is the top ring cut as a simple angle cut or a stave cut?)
Clyde I'm not sure I understand your question. The filler blocks on the inside and outside are custom fit pieces. It doesn't mater if inside or outside, the angles on the sides of those pieces would be the same as if you extended a line from the center of the bowl out to the end of the filler blocks.

IP Logged

Julian Roslanowski

WR Rocks!

Rancho Cucamonga, California, USA
Rancho Cucamonga
California
USA

PM 3520B
Reply #14 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 9:55am

Ray, thanks for the explanation. I'll have to tighten my thinking cap and read this a few times.  The result is fantastic.  Something I would like to try.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print