Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ornaments are not just for Christmas (Read 591 times)

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Ornaments are not just for Christmas
Mar 12th, 2016 at 9:17am

I just wanted to share this information because I was pleasantly surprised by it.

We had an Art Show last night at an exclusive Gallery.  While gathering up extra turnings for the show my husband suggested I take in a few of my ornaments.  I told him I didn't think they would sell since it wasn't Christmas and would just take up space.  Boy was I WRONG!
I sold every ornament along with the stand that I took in and could have sold more if I would have taken more.  I didn't know that there are people out there that collect turned ornaments and go crazy over them.  (I also learned that people look for marble stands to display their special marbles.  Wow.  Guess I'll start making some of those too).

So if you are having a craft show or gallery show you might consider taking ornaments.  Has anyone else experienced selling something unusual or out of season at a craft show or gallery show? I'd be interested to hear about it.  It may give me ideas for the next show.  Smiley

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Ornaments are not just for Christmas
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 9:53am

Thanks for the reminder Kathy.
I typically make ornaments all year long,they are a great use of small pieces.
I've found that a "well made" ornament (standard globe and finial) is typically received well, but something out of the ordinary does much better. Ornaments for an occasion, or a themed ornament get attention, like the bird houses and hot air balloons.
Stands for marbles is a new one to me but I have experienced golf balls, softballs, baseballs shot-glasses, collectible die-casts, and more, anything that can be put on a pedestal and display basically.
People like to display their "things" whatever they are. A base, a stand or a pedestal has the effect of elevating the importance of an item and make people want to look at it closer. Otherwise the same item may just be place on a shelf and usually doesn't receive the same attention.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 10:28am

This Topic was moved here from Turning Talk by Ed Weber.

IP Logged

Steve Krumanaker
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 12:46pm

I haven't done any shows but a couple local old and new shops display some of my turnings. Both shops display and sell ornaments all year long. 

Steve Krumanaker

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print