Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Playing with pyrography (Read 946 times)

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Playing with pyrography
Mar 19th, 2016 at 1:43pm

I recently acquired a Razortip burner and have been entertaining myself.

The elm jar has a bit of color, done with my wife's watercolors.

The sycamore jar has the Chinese symbol for (wait for it!) "ginger" on it.

The bowl was a practice piece after I got the burner and has a lot of various doodling on it.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2016 at 1:48pm by Tony Rozendaal »  

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Steve Krumanaker
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Re: Playing with pyrography
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 7:04pm

If those are first efforts they are pretty darn nice. I've been burning for about a year and It seems to me the learning curve is just as steep as learning to turn.

Steve

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:01pm

Very nice Tony, I really like the Japanese work I can't wait to see where you take this with more experience. Because your first is better than my first was. Mine improved over time because learning how to flow with the different tips does take practice and a bold stroke. Very much like painting with a artist brush.

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 10:37pm

Breck Whitworth wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:01pm:
Very nice Tony, I really like the Japanese work I can't wait to see where you take this with more experience. Because your first is better than my first was. Mine improved over time because learning how to flow with the different tips does take practice and a bold stroke. Very much like painting with a artist brush.

Thanks, Breck - that means a lot coming from you.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Kenn Harris

WR Fan!

Bellingham, WA, Washington, USA
Bellingham, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 8:45pm

Tony, I REALLY like your pyrography on your turnings as they certainly add a personal and very artistic touch to them!  I recently purchased a Mastercarver Burnmaster unit and have been experimenting with it, but regrettably, the results show I need much more practice.  :>(  How long have you been using your unit and do you have any pro's/con's with it and have you used it for very long or???  Any comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!  Safe turning to you and thanks for sharing such beautiful turnings and embellishments!!! Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 11:04pm

Kenn Harris wrote on Aug 8th, 2016 at 8:45pm:
Tony, I REALLY like your pyrography on your turnings as they certainly add a personal and very artistic touch to them! I recently purchased a Mastercarver Burnmaster unit and have been experimenting with it, but regrettably, the results show I need much more practice. :>( How long have you been using your unit and do you have any pro's/con's with it and have you used it for very long or??? Any comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Safe turning to you and thanks for sharing such beautiful turnings and embellishments!!! Thumbs Up

Thanks again for the kind comments. I really don't have anything to compare the Razortip to except for the hand-help soldering iron type units, and it beats them all to pieces.  When I first got it, Itried a few things, some of which you see here.

Since April or so, I've been going a different direction with my turnings and making more standard items that don't lend them so much to embellishments.  This winter when craft shows are over, I will likely do more pyrography - I have some ideas that I want to try.

Tonight I attended the first art class I have taken since high school (actually, probably since junior high).  I'm interested to see where that takes me. Hopefully, I'll be able to come up with my own designs for burning, rather than copying other people's designs.

Turnin' and learnin'

WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Kenn Harris

WR Fan!

Bellingham, WA, Washington, USA
Bellingham, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 7:25pm

Tony...please keep us posted on your new turnings and embellishments!  I'm fairly good at drawing 'stick figures', but after that, my 'artistic' abilities...well let's just say that I'd better stick to wood carving and wood turning, although I REALLY enjoy other turners embellishments and pyrography seems to be a VERY viable addition to one's embellishment techniques!  Keep up the great work and keep us posted on your progress at you latest art class!  Safe turning to you always!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print