WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

sanding sealer
Mar 23rd, 2016 at 3:22pm

haven't really tried using any sanding sealers on my turnings yet, but i hear a lot of folks on here and other sources say they use it regularly. Was curious what sort of product they use and what sort of results they get by varying it's use...

do you prefer premade or mix your own?

Is it something you have to apply and wait an extended time (more than 10-15 mins) or is it volatile enough it's dry with very little wait-time?

Does it really make that much difference in sanding? Or is the name itself a misnomer?

in my grandfather's shop, and my mother's paint studio (toll-painting) sanding sealer was a prep stage to achieve a finer surface finish on certain woods, typically softwoods.... I don't recall using it on walnut and maple much. (one of the details that has blurred in the interim since my youth...)

so...any recommendations?
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2016 at 3:24pm by Tim Hyatt »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: sanding sealer
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 4:24pm

Tim, here are two articles that cover the application and use of sanding sealers and fillers. They explain it better than I think I could.
IMO, It's a personal preference, the vast majority of the time it is not needed.. Very seldom does the wood require you to use a sealer. Some naturally oily tropical species may require a sealer for better finish adhesion.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 11:30am

I'd heard of using it on some tropical hardwoods due their inherent oiliness...

i knew about pore filling (grandpa was a (edited out) for walnut and oak) so it was a part of the regular routine.
My mother uses sanding sealer more as a surface prep in general, to give an impermeable surface to paint on. 

I have read some folks say they use it to stiffen up some "stringy" spots that were stubborn, to give them enough stiffness to cut or sand properly...

In the end, it seems it's largely optional.....

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 11:50am

Wow, Tim!!!

Your grandpa must have been SOMETHING SPECIAL for the description of him to be edited out!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Just a note here... if you purposefully mis spell any "special words", the censor bots won't recognize it but we would! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print