WR Noob

WR Rocks!

NY, USA
NY
USA

New tuner here!
Mar 24th, 2016 at 1:56pm

Hey All,

I have been a woodworker for years and turned very little as a kid. Totally out of it. After doing a bunch of research and searching forums I have narrowed my set up to these choices. ANY final input would be great.

Learning a lot from videos online about tools and proper technique. A bit daunting but I am ready to buy. I know the tools and the chucks are very important. That said...

Chisels: Looking at a Crown or Sorby Starter set. Like the Crown 5 piece on Rockler or a 5 piece Sorby (Which is hard to find). I want these to last.

Sharpener: I will use my "work sharp". It look silly but it is GREAT for all my sharpening.

Chucks: This is a bit confusing. I want to start with small projects like ornaments, small bowls and others and then move up. I was looking at the Nova Infinity to start?

Lathe: On the fence here. I don't want to overbuy but I am between 2 lathes. Jet 1221vs and the Jet 1440. I love the swivel on the 1440 but that puppy is pretty big. On the other hand will I outgrow the 1221? Any experience with these machines would be appreciated.

Safety: Protection of course but also learning a lot prior to turning.

Looking forward to this. Smiley
Thanks in advance,
Ken

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: New tuner here!
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 2:54pm

Welcome Ken, you packed a lot of question into your first post.
The choices can be daunting as you said but if you could possibly narrow down  what you think you'll be turning and how much you want to spend.

You will no doubt get many responses on tool preference. While the gouges you mentioned are good quality, they have their disadvantages.
1. Neither set has a bowl gouge
2. Both sets are very small (short in length) This can be uncomfortable to use depending on you size and turning style.
You may want to buy an inexpensive set first to see which tools you use the most. Many times with a set, there is one (or two) tools that don't get used, so why pay for them in the first place.

Nova chucks are good value for money and have a wide range of jaws available, whether you get the infinity style or standard SN2 (screw type)  is up to you.

I'm sure others will voice their opinions and help spend your money guide you into the woodturning vortex.

IP Logged

Ken Del
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

NY, USA
NY
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 5:56pm

Hey Ed,

Thanks. Well written response. Like many things in life, get your toes wet before you jump. "vortex"... I have been doing a bunch of research and that topic comes up a bunch. I would rather develop skills than have way too much hardware.

Price? I was hoping (to start) $1500-$2500 and I realize the tools never end. What I want to turn? Bowls, goblets smaller first but i know me... bigger later.

Appreciate the feedback.

Cheers,
Ken
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2016 at 6:02pm by Ken Del »  

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Supporter

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 6:53pm

Fill out your profile.  There is probably a turner near you that you could visit and check out equipment.  It is also a good idea to join a local turning club.
Jet 1220vs is a good lathe to start with.
parting tool
spindle roughing gouge 1"
1/2" spindle gouge
1/2" bowl gouge
Nova chucks are a good buy.

an 8' 2x2.  Turn it into sawdust and shavings.  Cut it in about 1' lengths.
an 8' 4x4.  Good to practice making small bowls, goblets etc.

When these are both gone you will be ready to move on to better wood.

By the way keep your first bowl and goblet.  Sign the bottom and date them.  Does not matter the quality of the turning.  You will be glad you saved them.

Welcome to the wonderful world of turning.

By the way in the long run the lathe is the cheapest turning tool you will buy.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 7:09pm

My suggestion would be to start with a medium size chuck for versatility (not familiar with "Infinity").  I've seen many recommendations to start with Benjamin's Best turning tools as they are less expensive and often there is learning curve (and rapid tool shrinkage) learning to sharpen.

But first see if local turning group offers exposure classes.  With ours, there is the opportunity to at least see a number of different lathes side by side and perhaps use more than one before purchasing.  The actual lathes you've mentioned may not be present, but their features might.

IP Logged

Ken Del
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

NY, USA
NY
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 7:13am

Thanks for the replies. GREAT advice!

-Chisels... I agree now. Need to find out what "I" like and use and sharpening will be a learning curve.

- Starting off  with 2x2 and 4x4... also great advice.

Hoping to get set up in a month and post some shots.

Thanks again!
Ken

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 8:51am

Welcome Ken.  Make yourself at home.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 9:22pm

Welcome from SE Texas!
+1 with the tools mentioned, better to start with a le$$er expensive set until you settle into what you want to do.
As for lathe size--you can turn small things on a big lathe, but not vice versa. (That being said after I made progressive jumps--I now have a 18 & 25 capacity lathes)
Not knowing where you are--there's likely a turning club or two in your vicinity----you may save some $$ by making ionformed decisions.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ken Del
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

NY, USA
NY
USA

Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:02pm

Thanks David,

I have been doing more research. Fairly sure I am going to go with the Jet 1221vs and cheaper tools. You guys make great points.

If I really get into it my plans are to make a MAJOR jump in size. The 1440 looks very nice and read about about the Reeves issues (I know its an old standard) but maybe I start off smaller and if I like it make the jump.

I'd rather have great skills before overbuying if that makes any sense?

Thanks again!
Ken

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print