Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Size of Picture question (Read 2,269 times)

Anthony Gomez

WR Rocks!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Size of Picture question
Mar 25th, 2016 at 10:22pm

ok I see the size of the maximum  attachment is 75kb - - my question is -was that limitation set when 56k dialup was the rage ? not trying to be a smarty pants (if any body remembers those days) - my point is that asking some of  the members of this forum to post pictures of their artwork and   limit their picture size to 75kb is kind of like asking Michaelangelo who painted the ceiling of the Sistine chapel to paint the entire mural on  a tiny cocktail napkin - I can kind of see the painting - I can tell its a painting but it is not  really too good

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2016 at 10:30pm by Anthony Gomez »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: Size of Picture question
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 8:33am

I agree with you about that insanely small file size!

I find that I can load thru Photobucket a file size of around 500KB or so and it loads fine.

Your problem on your other post was that you had 3 files at 2MB each and it was taking forever for your post to load.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This image is around 729Kb at 72ppi and sized to  6x8 inches.

The thing to do is to take your image into Photoshop or something like that and size it so when it opens, it  is large enough for people to actually see it. That's why I set mine at 6x8 inches.

Then resize the ppi to 72 to reduce the overall file size. Save off as a jpeg and then load it into Photobucket and it is then served from there.

Someone else may offer thoughts here but I think this website can store and then serve the image itself but may have a liimited storage space available where a site like Photobucket apparently has an enormous storage capacity.

Hope that makes some sense, realizing I may be  pontificating thru a different body orifice than most people use. Shocked

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2016 at 8:41am by Ralph Fahringer »  

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ted Gaunt
WR Noob

One good turn, deserves
another.

Austin, Texas, USA
Austin
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 10:19am

75KB is much too low.  Even iphone's smallest size for emailing is around 200KB.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 10:56am

It all has to do with server size.

Back in the day when the majority of users of this site were on 56k dialup images where not accepted.

File Size and Image size are not related, to prove my point (again) here is a 66k file

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 11:33am

Many members here use a program like Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
There are plenty of freeware titles out there that will accomplish the same task, also works well for sending pics by email.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 12:50pm

I am in the camp that thinks 75kb is too small for this day and age. A 2mb photo displays on my screen within three seconds of clicking it when surfing. All I have is bottom tier cable service for my Internet connection.

With that said, Ron, how about showing us how you produce a 66kb photo and have it expand when clicked ? If I may add even as fuzzy as the image is when expanded.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 2:54pm

Robert Hayward wrote on Mar 26th, 2016 at 12:50pm:
A 2mb photo displays on my screen within three seconds of clicking it when surfing

Consider yourself lucky, there are still members here that are on dailup and a few that have a lousy connection with DSL. I've been told by more than a few that it can take a minute or two for a file that size to load from Photobucket. Believe me when I tell you they are not happy when they run across such an image (or two) within a post.

What is not apparent to many is sometimes we get over 3 million hits per month. If bigger images were allowed it would slow this site down for many of us. Can you imagine what members would tell me next? 

Using big files for images is bad web design, only an inexperienced webmaster would do such a thing.

Everything I do here is a balancing act designed to benefit as many people as possible.

If I may add even as fuzzy as the image is when expanded.

Its fuzzy to prove a point on how big I can make it and still keep in under 75k. If/when needed, I can make it smaller (45k) and less fuzzy as shown below.

With that said, Ron, how about showing us how you produce a 66kb photo and have it expand when clicked ?

Read Ed's post.

Ed Weber wrote on Mar 26th, 2016 at 11:33am:
Many members here use a program like Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
There are plenty of freeware titles out there that will accomplish the same task, also works well for sending pics by email.

IP Logged

Anthony Gomez

WR Rocks!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 9:54pm

How about a a high def section then?  - it could be totally wild Ron - just think of it how we could blow the internet away with  double the picture size 140 kb !

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 7:54am

The Gallery now has a file size limit of 100K with 5meg disk space for regular members and 10meg for supporting members.

To all supporting members: Please PM me when you reached the 5meg limit and I will up to to 10meg.

New Members Please Note: The Gallery runs separate software from the forum so you'll need to register there as well.

Another Free online image resizing tool
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2016 at 8:10am by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:12am

to me, the forum is for talking about wood turning, sharing ideas and tips, and for asking questions, lots of questions. the gallery is for displaying your completed work and getting C/C. if you are proud of your work, post a picture or two in the gallery, not in the forum.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 8:41am

David Hamann wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:12am:
to me, the forum is for talking about wood turning, sharing ideas and tips, and for asking questions, lots of questions. the gallery is for displaying your completed work and getting C/C. if you are proud of your work, post a picture or two in the gallery, not in the forum.

Dave is exactly correct, and his message does need repeating

Here is another example of a reduced photo
I took this photo recently, it started out at 8.08mb. With a couple of clicks using a photo reducing software (I use pixresizer) it's now down to 67.7k
Does it have the highest resolution, no but it is certainly clear and viewable enough for any website or forum.

As I mentioned earlier, reducing photo size is sometimes necessary when sending emails, as many email servers have a limit (like 10 mb). If I didn't resize my photos, I could only send one photo at a time at it's original size.

Keep in mind also, these are just .jpg images, many photographers use RAW format for their photos which are much, much larger.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 11:41am

I pictorial to help those that are still having trouble resizing images.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chris Neilan
WR Supporter

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 6:13pm

Thank you Ron!

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 8:10am

You're welcome Chris

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #14 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 10:17am

Ok Ron...

Something has  happened where I now can't load ANY photos into any of my posts. I USED to be able to post them from Photobucket and they would come up no problem.

NOW,  NOTHING shows up.  I even had one thread of the guy who had used a cabinet for the grinder and the shop vac but his photos kept loading sideways so I grabbed them and reset them for him, They were there for a day or so and then, they were gone.... and now I can't get anyhing to load!!
Interesting enough... I went back to find one of my older posts that DID have photos in them and THEY are gone as well!!!

What's up??

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #15 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 11:41am

Follow the directions here Ralph

Ron Sardo wrote on Mar 30th, 2016 at 11:41am:

then upload them using our attachment feature, you can upload up to 4 images this way
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2016 at 11:44am by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #16 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 12:17pm

Ok, but why has the site suddenly begun refusing the files from photobucket? Shocked

ALL of my old photo files I posted in my history on here are gone. All of them were posted thru Photobucket. Sounds like someone has blocked any files from that site. Is there a reason that might be?
Every other site I've posted on accepts files from them, why not here and why suddenly not now?

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #17 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 12:22pm

Ok. I'm trying it:

« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2016 at 12:23pm by Ralph Fahringer »  

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #18 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 12:26pm

Nope. Nothing happens.

I went thru your steps and then loaded it into photobucket and tried to insert it into a post and no matter which button I push to load a file, nothing happens.

I'll try it direct from my computer and see what happens:

Nope, can't do that, either.

Any thoughts?? Cry
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2016 at 12:38pm by Ralph Fahringer »  

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #19 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 9:35am

Did you use the attachment feature to the bottom left of the message input box?

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #20 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 12:04pm

Interesting thing... In line 2  where it says to Resize Your Picture, there is no line to click about
Fit to Screen... ANYTHING.
All there is, is the box like what is in your post EXCEPT no lines about fit to screen. Yours has 3 Fit to Screen choices while mine has none.

I'm not sure what you mean by "using the attachment feature in the bottom left of the message input box".

Plus, at the end in part 5 we are saving it off into my computer. How then is the image supported for the Forum site so that it is available even if my comouter is turned off?

None of this makes any sense.   Again, my original complaint is that I can no longer up load any images from photo bucket and all of my old images that I DID load from Photobucket are now gone.

Even if I try to load an image into the site using any of the buttons for loading into a post, none work.
Something happened in the last few days  that has caused a major change in the ability to upload images to the site.

Am trying something:

I think I found the attachment feature!!!

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #21 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 12:10pm

Ok... I think I've figured it all out!!!

Picresize is for making the file smaller AND THEN you insert the image file using the attachment feature which SAYS: Choose file!!!

Boy!! Some  days I can be SOOOOO stupid!!! Shocked Shocked

I would do better if I was working in Photoshop. For some reason I'm pretty good in that but anywhere else...well.. not so much! Roll Eyes

Ron, you have the patience of a saint!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

On  the plus side, when I finally slip into Alzheimers, no one will notice for years!!!
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2016 at 12:16pm by Ralph Fahringer »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print