Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Birch Bowl finish question (Read 780 times)

Ricc Havens

WR Rocks!

Birch Bowl finish question
Apr 10th, 2016 at 9:52am

I posted this over on the Creek forum.  But, thought I would post here too in case someone can help that doesn't visit or see it on the other forum.

I have an birch bowl that I have turned (sorry camera app on phone not working so I can't post a pic).  I sanded through 320 grit while on the lathe.  Parted off and sanded the bottom and went to put finish on.  I used Minwax Antique oil as I had some left and wanted to use it up.  The end grain portions of the birch absorbed the oil like a sponge (and kept absorbing it as I applied it).  After wiping off the access from the side grain - the side grain portions of the bowl are starting to take a buildup and luster from the oil.  The end grain portions look very dull like no finish was applied. 

Any suggestions on how to make it all look uniform?

Thanks
Ricc Havens

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Re: Birch Bowl finish question
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 10:33am

Let what you applied dry, then keep applying more, concentrating on the end grain areas.  You may have to do it several times to get a uniform finish.  This is a common occurrence and not the fault of the AO finish you used.  IN the future apply the first coat and keep adding to the end grain areas until you think it has soaked in all it can, then wipe off the excess and let dry.  Subsequent coats should build a nice finish quickly.  I use AO a lot.

IP Logged

Ricc Havens

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 2:13pm

thanks for the suggestion!  I will see what happens

Ricc

IP Logged

Leo De Bruin

Turning pro as soon as
I retire

Kitwanga, BC, Canada, Canada
Kitwanga, BC, Canada
Canada

Reply #3 - May 12th, 2016 at 10:23am

Ricc  I do lots of birch bowls and I put a good heavy coat of thinned Zinsser Seal coat on, then sand it back and then put Tung oil on. Two coats of TO is usually all I need,  I would think AO would work the same.  I also use same technique for any spalted wood.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print