Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello everyone! (Read 292 times)

Andrew Moss
WR Noob

I love burls.... and Acrylic

Hello everyone!
Apr 16th, 2016 at 6:58pm

Hello all, my name is Andrew and I just came here to try and pick up some extra tips and tricks on wood turning, and also finishing. I've been wood turning since I was 17, and basically started after my grandfather died suddenly of a ruptured aorta. After his death I found myself taking a lot of his woodworking tools including his Rockwell lathe. I did a lot of turning right up until I was about 20... and then I got into beer and girls.  Wink

It wasn't until I joined a straightrazor forum 12 years later, that I managed to get me back on the lathe, which is still at my parents house. I had seen guys turning their own shaving brushes and thought, hey that's a great idea. So I made myself a couple, and things all of a sudden got out of control. I don't know how many brushes I've made now, and it doesn't really matter cause the lathe is were I'm meant to be. It relaxes me and clears my head. With the addition of a Delta Midi lathe in my basement now for 2 years, I have a hard time staying off of it. Bowls, rolling pins, makeup brushes, shaving bowls, and of course still a lot of shaving brushes.

What I really love about the shaving brushes is, it's allowed me to turn a variety of different materials other than wood. You name it, I've probably turned it. Anyways, I'll be around asking questions about different things. Even though I've done a lot of turning, I feel as though I still have a lot to learn and that's why I'm here.

"A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure." -Bohemian Proverb

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Re: Hello everyone!
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 10:23am

Welcome Andrew.  Make yourself at home.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Re: Hello everyone!
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 3:37pm

Andrew, Welcome. Old saying" If you don't  learn something every day, you're dead."

Glenn J.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print