Send Topic Print
Garage or no? (Read 2,550 times)

Mark Putnam

WR Rocks!

Houston, Texas, USA
Houston
Texas
USA

Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" benchtop lathe - 1/2hp motor - Speeds: 826, 1205, 1713, 2422, 3337 RPM
Garage or no?
Apr 22nd, 2016 at 12:51pm

(Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question. I don't have any pics but will post some soon.)

I was raised by a very strict code that, apart from one's home, your car is your most important investment. It gets you to/from work, where you make your money. It gets your family to the grocer, the doctor, school, etc. For that reason you respect your car, and you treat it right. And above all, you park your car in the garage!

I was also raised by an avid woodworker. So of course, I have the bug.

We live in a suburban house, small lot. There is not a lot of room to build a separate shop--not to mention there is no money to build a separate shop! So currently I am relegated to a small (6' x 10') space in our garage, just outside the entry to the house. It has my lathe, a small workbench, and lots of clutter.

Many of my friends insist that the garage is FOR a woodshop. They have never parked their cars in their garage. They park in the driveway. They think it is ridiculous that I use my garage for my cars.

I'm curious how many of you use your garage as your shop and park your cars outside. If I am ever going to move up to a "real" lathe (I have a midi, 10x18.) then a car will have to be parked outside. What are your thoughts?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Re: Garage or no?
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 1:01pm

Same situation. My car once saw the inside of the garage. There is now not enough room in there to park a bike. It's ALL  shop.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 2:07pm

we have a two car garage. at first, it was all shop, now it is half shop, half storage. most of the storage will go to Habitat Store and to a women's shelter. then the wife can park inside again. garage is not big enough for both a car and a ˝ ton pickup.

so, my suggestion is do what YOU think is best. you can have both with careful planning.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Addict

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 6:39pm

Put everything on wheels.  Works.  I did it for years.  When you live in MT you park in the garage if at all possible.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 8:05pm

No vehicles in the garage yet ...but hopefully soon
I do want to park in the garage to protect the investment as you mentioned but as many have found, space is always at a premium no matter what your hobby or situation.. Cars are built to handle the elements and are sadly the first things to get kicked out.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:16pm

Larry Matchett wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 6:39pm:
When you live in MT you park in the garage if at all possible

I did not know you could live in a Morse Taper. I am confused now. Cheesy Cheesy

Mark,  I don't know where you live so leaving the car outside may or may not be acceptable.  Where I live, in the Cayman Islands I have never had a garage.  If I did my shop would be bigger than 12 x12.  and my car would still be outside.  So I agree with David.  Do with what works for you and your family.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

James Saxinger

WR Rocks!

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
Canada

NOVA 2024
GI 25-200
Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:57pm

We park our vehicles in the garage, the winters here in Saskatchewan can, and do get brutally cold, we are also in our forever house (I hope !! )  And it's nice having a garage to park both vehicles in, but with this house we have a 24'x24' detached garage in the back yard, that I've converted to a heated shop, the shop in back was a huge bonus when we bought this house. Now that I have a shop not in or attached to the house it will be hard to get me to move again. But if I didn't have the shop in back, my shop would be in the garage and on wheels and still not give up any parking !!

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 8:06am

James, the only thing that would make your situation even better is to build a causeway between the house and the shop!!!

As in... no shoveling to get to the shop in the winter!!!Smiley Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 10:57pm

Len Layman wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 10:16pm:
I did not know you could live in a Morse Taper. I am confused now.

MT = Montana, Big Sky Country.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Dave Gill

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 2:03pm

The only thing that needs to be parked in the garage is the motorcycle - the rest of the space should be used for the work shop and storage - at least that's what I tell my wife  Wink

Dave G.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

gary marquardt

WR Rocks!

Saline, Michigan, USA
Saline
Michigan
USA

Reply #10 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 4:49pm

Wheels are your friend.  I have a one car garage and the wife insists on having a warm  dry car in the morning.  All the noisy and dusty machines  must live in the garage. so table saw, router table and jointer  are on heavy locking casters.  I back the car out and  do what needs to  get  done. clean up and move the car back. oddly the lathe  lives in the basement shop with a dust deputy attached.

IP Logged

Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

Grizzly G0838
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Reply #11 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 1:41pm

Dave Gill wrote on Apr 25th, 2016 at 2:03pm:
The only thing that needs to be parked in the garage is the motorcycle - the rest of the space should be used for the work shop and storage - at least that's what I tell my wife  Wink

Dave G.

I tell my wife the exact same thing! So far, she's allowed me to persist in my delusion.  Wink

IP Logged

Dave Gill

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 10:38pm

Hey Bill - must be a California thing Wink

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Don Davis

Safety first!

Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Stillwater
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #13 - May 2nd, 2016 at 1:03pm

My garage does "double duty". About half is dedicated to woodworking/turning toys (mostly) but half has to be reserved for car parking in bad weather and every night... so some toys tools are on wheels and my "wood stash" is a set of shelves on the wall on the other side of the car space. I planned to add a carport out front so I could use all of the garage, but the City says I'm not allowed because the front of my house is too close to the middle of the street (55 ft from garage to middle of 16 ft wide street).  Here's a photo... the "shop" is very messy right now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print