WR Rocks!

Rancho Cucamonga, California, USA
Rancho Cucamonga
California
USA

PM 3520B
Fun with Wedgie sled
Apr 25th, 2016 at 9:29am

Finally got around to making my 3rd sled; just for cutting with the blade on an angle for diamonds & triangle pieces. I had to watch Jerry Bennett's videos a few times to get a clear understanding of how to make the triangle pieces fit. Made a couple of test rings and they came out great.  Now the next trick is to glue them up.  I may try and add some veneer between the triangles.   Anyone else try this yet?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Fun with Wedgie sled
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 10:04am

I only mention this because you have your rings dry fit and looks like you are trying to glue them all at once.
Julian Roslanowski wrote on Apr 25th, 2016 at 9:29am:
Now the next trick is to glue them up.

If you're thinking about trying to glue up the entire ring at once, my advice would be to get over it.
Adding the glue will simply add a level  of difficulty to an already difficult task.
The way your segments are cut, the lighter color segments will most likely butt together at the tips and therefore no clamping pressure will be applied to the darker colored segments unless it's in some type of press.

Julian Roslanowski wrote on Apr 25th, 2016 at 9:29am:
I may try and add some veneer between the triangles

Yet another level of difficulty to an already complex glue up.
If you can't glue in one sitting,( see above ) you will need to glue up small sub-assemblies (16 pairs with the veneer sandwiched in between) then 8 pairs and so on.
If the two rings are not glued evenly or equally, after sanding (flattening) it's unlikely that the darker wood segments will align properly and create the diamond effect you're looking for. Both rings must be treated identically. so that the surfaces to be glued together are the same.

IP Logged

Bob Coates

WR Rocks!

norristown, Pennsylvania, USA
norristown
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 6:08pm

Tried this and had problems with the wedge riding up on each other.  Figured that need a press to hold flat, but never did.  Been experimenting with different wedge angles in each ring.

IP Logged

Julian Roslanowski

WR Rocks!

Rancho Cucamonga
California
USA

PM 3520B
Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 9:10pm

Bob, definitely will need to put the ring between 2 flat boards to keep the triangles from rising up.  But for this ring I decided to put some veneer in between the triangular pieces.  With the veneer I'll have to glue up the pieces in sections.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 7:36am

Just do a rub joint with two sections at a time. I bet in the long run it will be both easier and quicker.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Julian Roslanowski

WR Rocks!

Rancho Cucamonga
California
USA

PM 3520B
Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 9:15am

I glued up 2 of the rings with triangles.  One ring has pieces of veneer; this ring I glued up a few pieces at a time.  The other ring was glued up with a hose clamp and some waxed plywood scraps.  This worked well and much quicker than gluing a few pieces at a time.

IP Logged

Freddie Hicks
WR Addict

Lubbock, Texas, USA
Lubbock
Texas
USA

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2016 at 2:23pm

Beautiful

Mi Vida Echa en Madera

IP Logged