Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What am I doing wrong? (Sorby hollower) (Read 1,204 times)

Mark Putnam

WR Rocks!

Houston, Texas, USA
Houston
Texas
USA

Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" benchtop lathe - 1/2hp motor - Speeds: 826, 1205, 1713, 2422, 3337 RPM
What am I doing wrong? (Sorby hollower)
May 3rd, 2016 at 10:52pm

I am trying to turn a vase as a gift. I did not have any tools that would allow me to hollow this form, so I bought both the Sorby Multi Tip Hollowing Tool and the Hollowmaster. But I cannot get them to work properly. They barely produce even the slightest amount of sawdust, let alone a shaving. I have tried honing them with a diamond hone. I ensure that I am working from the middle of the form and the tool is resting flat. But both tools barely take of any material.

I am running the lathe at its lowest setting, around 850 rpm. I am using as much pressure on the tool as I am comfortable using.

I made a video showing how I'm using the Multi Tip. Sorry for the poor quality, but I was using my phone. Note that the limited progress on hollowing this form was after about 30 minutes of working with the Multi Tip.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I'm really at a loss. Thanks for any suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2016 at 7:13am by Ron Sardo » 
Reason: fixed video link 

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: What am I doing wrong? (Sorby hollower)
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2016 at 7:11am

It looks like the tip is pointing at around 1:00 (in comparison to the shaft). Try pointing the tip at around 12:00.

Also the tip is below dead center try raising to center while keeping the tool shaft level.

Depending on where you are hollowing and the shape of the form you may need to hollow with the tip from 12:00 to 2:00

Form Sorby
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2016 at 8:23am

Ron Sardo wrote on May 4th, 2016 at 7:11am:
Also the tip is below dead center try raising to center while keeping the tool shaft level.

I second that.

Also, you have a starter hole in the center, I think you can use it more effectively.
Once you get the tip into the center make sure it is engaged (you can see and fell it cutting) before you start pulling toward you.
Cutting end grain is a bit misleading IMO, since you never want to cut end grain. You really want to cut from the side of the fibers (inside the center hole towards you.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2016 at 11:57am

I am wondering if it is sharp and has a good burr on it... You want tool rest a bit high, tool angled down, and cutter at or above center height.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2016 at 4:56pm

Looks like you might be a little below center, but that wouldn't stop it from cutting.  To ME, tool looks to be really dull OR cutting edge not enageing the wood.  To cut from the center out as shown, remember that the tool needs some clearance on the side to be able to cut, otherwise it will just rub at the bottom of the tool and not allow the cutting edge to engage the wood.

But I've also had sharp tools that wouldn't cut....because the lathe was running in reverse...DUH.   LOL

IP Logged

Mark Putnam

WR Rocks!

Houston, Texas, USA
Houston
Texas
USA

Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" benchtop lathe - 1/2hp motor - Speeds: 826, 1205, 1713, 2422, 3337 RPM
Reply #5 - May 4th, 2016 at 4:59pm

Thanks, everyone. Believe me... I have checked to make sure I  am using the correct side of the cutter. I have checked to make sure the lathe is ON! I have checked and re-checked everything. It is the strangest thing...

I will try to sharpen the tip some more and also adjust the tool rest as everyone has recommended. We will see what that does.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - May 4th, 2016 at 7:07pm

This Topic was moved here from Tool Talk by Ed Weber.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2016 at 12:33am

Could you post a close up of the tip? Cutting side/left side and maybe head on... I think common bevel angle, and there are lots of variations, is about 60 to 70 degrees.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Mark Putnam

WR Rocks!

Houston, Texas, USA
Houston
Texas
USA

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2016 at 8:01am

Ed, thank you for moving this to the proper section. Sorry if I misplaced it.

robo_hippy, I will post a few pictures tonight of the tool tip. For now I can tell you that it has pretty much the exact same angle as it did out of the box. I have used a diamond hone on it but have not ground it at all.

Additional details: I tried turning up the lathe speed last night from the low range of 850 to the midpoint of about 1700 on my lathe. This did not affect the cutting ability of the tool.

Also, I failed to mention in the original post that this vase is being made from bubinga. I spoke to a friend last night who said he has used bubinga before and it is an extremely hard, dense wood. That could be the cause of my problems. Because I bought the hollowing tools to use on this specific project, I have never tried them with another species of wood.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2016 at 10:59am

Mark, look at this one at around 2:20 or so, well actually watch it all, it is good. John shows how to sharpen a hollowing tip.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #10 - May 5th, 2016 at 1:08pm

I'm checking in on this post as I would love to know why it isn't working for him and how it gets resolved. Wink

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #11 - May 5th, 2016 at 1:10pm

I have the same tool but do not know why it is not cutting for you. You can usually push the tool tip in at the center and then swing/pull left.
I removed the tip completely and hone the entire surface. If you honed it with the tip on the tool could you have rounded over the edge any? It's a pretty small area to hold the hone completely flat (at least for me). I have never taken mine to the grinder.

It appears the tip is the same for the Hollowmaster?  Do you have the same problem with it?
It does appear you have the tip about 1:00.  Depending on what I am doing mine is between 9:00 and 12:00.  At 1:00 it should cut but seems it would put the handle in an odd position.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2016 at 1:23pm by Mike Mills »  

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Mark Putnam

WR Rocks!

Houston, Texas, USA
Houston
Texas
USA

Reply #12 - May 5th, 2016 at 1:24pm

robo_hippy: The tip in that video appears to have a more acute angle of bevel on it than mine. I left the bevel as-is on mine and just honed it; I haven't reshaped it. Again, I will snap a picture tonight and post it. But it could be that it just doesn't have a good edge developed and needs to be ground.

Mike, I removed the tip to hone it. I used a diamond hone that is rated as "fine" grit (not sure what the actual count is). I also am apprehensive about grinding the tip. However, I ordered from Amazon the Sorby tip holder. If I don't make any progress, I will try it on the grinder or Tormek.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #13 - May 5th, 2016 at 1:36pm

robo_hippy wrote on May 4th, 2016 at 11:57am:
I am wondering if it is sharp and has a good burr on it... You want tool rest a bit high, tool angled down, and cutter at or above center height.

robo hippy

That got me to thinking that he said he honed the edge... thus taking any burr off. Could this be a reason??

Abviously pulling this idea out of an orifice. Thumbs Up

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #14 - May 5th, 2016 at 1:38pm

I watched again a few time and it looks like the tip is below center.  I remember an old video and the guy showed trying to cut a little below center and a little above center, neither way could the cut be made even with a lot of pressure.
If you take the chuck off and install a spur, bring the tailstock up to dead center.  This should put the cutting edge of the Sorby dead center if the tool is held flat.
Maybe worth a try anyway.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print