Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What am I doing wrong? (Sorby hollower) (Read 1,248 times)

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Re: What am I doing wrong? (Sorby hollower)
Reply #15 - May 5th, 2016 at 4:18pm

Your honing may be at fault. Feel the top edge to see if you have raised a burr. They do cut better with a raised burr. The jig may help a lot too since it is easier to hold that way and keeps your fingers away from the wheel and the tip when it gets hot. You could get away with keeping it in the tool and moving your platform back a bit so the flat side of the bar sits on the platform. Since John's tip is in a bar, it is more simple for him (I do like his videos). For honing, the fine is a 600 or so which raises more of a finish cut burr rather than a roughing burr. A 220 card would do better. If you are turning really hard woods like Lignum of cocobolo, a very minor burr is not as grabby.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Mark Putnam

WR Rocks!

Houston, Texas, USA
Houston
Texas
USA

Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" benchtop lathe - 1/2hp motor - Speeds: 826, 1205, 1713, 2422, 3337 RPM
Re: What am I doing wrong? (Sorby hollower)
Reply #16 - May 5th, 2016 at 10:29pm

Update:

So, I know this is going to sound like a cop out. But I now think the problem was the wood.

I used the Sorby tip holder to sharpen the tip on a Tormek. It actually did really well. The angle of the bevel was not as severe as in the video above. But it got a good edge on it like my other tools do.

I also took the opportunity to sharpen my other scrapers.

When I got after the vase again, I had the same result--this time with all of my tools. The Multi Tip just barely scraped the finest bit of sawdust. I tried a round nose and a flat scraper--both freshly sharpened--and while they performed better, it was not the kind of result I am accustomed to with those tools.

I was frustrated at this point. I took the vase off the lathe. And then I took down a piece of maple from my shelf that I had previously turned into a rough bowl shape. I tried the Multi Tip. And it worked like a dream, just like the videos. Couldn't be happier.

I realize that maple is fairly easy to work. And I plan to try the Multi Tip on other types of wood soon. I had never worked with bubinga before. But everything I read confirms it is very hard and dense. I think I just made the error of choosing a wood based on appearance instead of physical properties.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print