Send Topic Print
Shoplet (Read 618 times)

Mark Putnam

WR Rocks!

Houston, Texas, USA
Houston
Texas
USA

Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" benchtop lathe - 1/2hp motor - Speeds: 826, 1205, 1713, 2422, 3337 RPM
Shoplet
May 5th, 2016 at 10:36am

We have an attached garage, and between the "car area" and the house there is a 6'x10' space. That is where I've set up shop...er, "shoplet."

But it should be clear from this picture that the addition of any new tool of real significance (band saw, for example) will require me to expand. I don't mind parking my car outside, since Houston is relatively temperate.

In the near term, I have purchased a fluorescent shop light to hang over the workbench/lathe area. I'm also investigating how I can use my 12 gallon shop vac (bottom right) as a dust collection system. I do wear a mask, and the tiny fan in the back right corner helps blow much of the dust away from the work area. But I'd prefer the dust not get all over the cars.

I enjoy the draftsman lamp that is positioned over my lathe. It's probably older than me. I got it from my dad. It has a bright fluorescent bulb and is able to be positioned in various ways that can light particular parts of whatever piece I'm working on. And the magnifying glass is extremely helpful, especially when inspecting pieces for scratches from sanding, etc. If you can pick up one of these I highly recommend it.

For those of you who work in relatively confined spaces, I'd be interested to hear how you deal with it. One problem I have in particular is with hollowing. You can see here that on the tailstock side of my lathe we have a tall metal cabinet. Sometimes that prevents me from getting a good angle on a piece to hollow it out. I sometimes have to pull the lathe's tool table out and turn the lathe itself to allow for hollowing.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Re: Shoplet
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2016 at 6:55pm

nice little shop! you have made good use of the area that you have. some of the turners here have their lathe on casters so that they can move it around as needed. casters like Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register or Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register would allow you to move and lock down.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print