Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Resanding mahogany with Minwax Tung Oil Finish (Read 548 times)

Mark Putnam

WR Rocks!

Houston, Texas, USA
Houston
Texas
USA

Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" benchtop lathe - 1/2hp motor - Speeds: 826, 1205, 1713, 2422, 3337 RPM
Resanding mahogany with Minwax Tung Oil Finish
May 11th, 2016 at 7:21am

I'm still working on completing my first vase. I managed to get the vase sanded and then removed from the chuck tenon. It all looked to be in order. On the recommendation of a more experienced turner, I decided to use Minwax Tung Oil Finish in order to keep things simple.

The finish ended up bringing out a fault in the vase--a thin groove that encircles the entire vase about a third of the way down from the top. I have no idea how it would have gotten there, since I inspected the vase pretty closely before applying the finish. I've attached a photo.

I am of two minds on this: First, I could enhance the groove and then perhaps add another near the bottom and call these "decoration." Second, I could try to put the vase back on the lathe and resand it until the finish is removed, smooth the groove out, and then sand and finish again.

Is the second option advisable? Given that the finish has had the opportunity to cure now, if I were to resand would it affect the wood? Perhaps discolor it? Would the grain be as enhanced as in the photo? I'm apprehensive about this approach, since this is intended as a gift. I don't want to ruin the piece altogether.

Thanks for your input.

Mark

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Louie Powell
WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Re: Resanding mahogany with Minwax Tung Oil Finish
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2016 at 7:38am

Seems to me you have three choices:

1.  Do nothing, and mark it up to experience.  When I first started out, someone here suggested that it is better to just make another piece rather than wasting time trying to repair the flawed item.  That might be fine for a production turner, but as a hobbyist, learning how to fix problems is important and  part of the fun. 
2.  Call it decoration, and perhaps add another groove to emphasize that point.  Perfectly fine solution. 
3.  Remount, and repair the flaw.  Also a fine solution.

On either 2 or 3 you will need to sand the piece and refinish it.  In my experience, that's not a a major problem.

Keith Barrow did a series of YouTube videos recently on how he redesigned and refinished some of his earlier attempts at bowl turning that I found to be well worth watching.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Louie

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2016 at 7:53am

Getting the work perfectly re-chucked to turn a uniformly deep groove can be a real challenge.  But re-chucking to sand at low RPM does not require as much accuracy.  You might consider sanding out the groove, applying a coat or two to the freshly sanded area, then a coat or two over the entire piece to blend the two together.  If that doesn't work, you could still sand off the entire finish and start applying coats again.  Unless there was color in the finish I'm not sure it's impossible to just refinish the sanded area and then blend the two together.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2016 at 7:56am

Recently I added an IKEA gooseneck lamp on the headstock for an adjustable raking light to try to help me find sanding scratches and tool marks like this.  Another trick someone shared is to wipe the sanding dust with the grain.  I've found that wiping the dust from 320 will highlight scratches that the dust from coarser grits did not.

IP Logged

Mark Putnam

WR Rocks!

Houston, Texas, USA
Houston
Texas
USA

Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" benchtop lathe - 1/2hp motor - Speeds: 826, 1205, 1713, 2422, 3337 RPM
Reply #4 - May 11th, 2016 at 7:58am

Don Stephan wrote on May 11th, 2016 at 7:56am:
Recently I added an IKEA gooseneck lamp on the headstock for an adjustable raking light to try to help me find sanding scratches and tool marks like this.

I'm ashamed to say it, but I actually have a draftsman lamp with magnifying glass mounted on my workbench for this very purpose... It comes in really handy when turning small things like pens. I just failed touse it this time around. Shame on me, I know. First project of this type, meant as a gift... I really should pay more attention. Lesson learned!

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #5 - May 11th, 2016 at 8:13am

Put it back on the lathe and then burn a groove where the line is and then burn another about 1/4" above it.

Make a mistake a design concept! Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2016 at 12:18pm

You'll do a lot of sanding to get that groove out. IMO burn it and add another above or below.  If you know how to texture, you could texture between grooves.

Glenn J.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #7 - May 11th, 2016 at 12:34pm

As Don pointed out, the biggest challenge here will be in getting it rechucked.  A jamb chuck is probably the way to go - if it were up to me, I might try turning a conical jamb chuck out of soft pine to fit into the opening at the top of the vase, and then wrapping it in either paper towel or (better yet) that soft rubbery shelf liner stuff.  If you are lucky, and it turns true, then you can easily deepen the existing groove and add a second while using the tailstock for support.  If you can't get it true, then sanding it out might be the easiest option.

Louie

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2016 at 7:41pm

I would chuck it up and try to burn in the groove with a wire.
You will still have some sanding to do, and 2 or 3 more burned in rings will look intentional.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print