Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Required tools for segmenting (Read 652 times)

Mark Putnam

WR Rocks!

Houston, Texas, USA
Houston
Texas
USA

Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" benchtop lathe - 1/2hp motor - Speeds: 826, 1205, 1713, 2422, 3337 RPM
Required tools for segmenting
May 13th, 2016 at 9:59am

I've been reading and watching a lot about segmented vessel making. I'm particularly intrigued by the possibility of making large vessels out of traditionally sized lumber, rather than having to find giant chunks or large bowl blanks.

My concern is that I lack the proper tools.

I have access to a very high quality table saw. I also have access to a radial arm saw that can be adjusted to different angles. I do not have access to a mitre saw. I will also soon have at my disposal an extremely nice bandsaw, though I understand this does not provide the accuracy and clean cuts required of proper segmenting.

Also lacking is a 90-degree disc sander. The only powered sander I have access to is a belt sander.

So, is it possible to do proper segmenting with the tools that I have considering those that I lack? How can I make up for the lack of tools--jigs, tips/tricks and other workarounds?

Thanks for your suggestions.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Re: Required tools for segmenting
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2016 at 11:26am

Mark,  If you have a decent table saw you can make a jig for it that will be able to help you get great cuts and angles.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It really is not a daunting undertaking as it might seem at first.
With a good blade in the saw you should not need to worry about sanding each piece.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Julian Roslanowski

WR Rocks!

Rancho Cucamonga, California, USA
Rancho Cucamonga
California
USA

PM 3520B
Reply #2 - May 13th, 2016 at 4:44pm

Mark, sounds like you have enough tools to get started.  I only use my table saw to cut the segments.  One important factor is to mill your stock flat and square before you start cutting segments.  Removing "fuzzies" from the segments can be done with just a small sanding block.  You will need to fatten the rings after they are glued up.  The flatter the glue up the less sanding.  This sanding can be done with a good flat piece of MDF with some sanding paper glued to the surface.  Or you can make a sanding disc for your lathe to flatten the rings.

IP Logged

Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #3 - May 14th, 2016 at 11:12am

I agree that you have all that is needed.  You have a desire, table saw and a lathe.  That's all I had 30 years ago.  If you make the segeasy sled the amount of sanding is drastically reduce.  It you need a large disc sander you can make one using your lathe.  A disc sander slightly smaller than the capacity of your lathe will be all you need to level one side of each ring before glue up.  You might find a press is needed but you also use your tail stock for that.  The only issue with that is your lathe is tied up while the glue hardens.  For some turners that's a big issue.  Others not so much.  You'll have to find a process that works for you with your available assets.  Your vortex just got bigger!  Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2016 at 11:13am by Walt »  

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2016 at 11:37am

I have found that with the wedgie sled all I have to do is clean off the "fuzzies" to get a great fit. It is really an awesome tool for this.
Also, I picked up a 12" disk sander from Harbor Freight for $140 with the 20% off coupon. It is a big help. However, unless you are making smaller bowls a disk sander set up on your lathe might work better for flattening the rings since you can't get at  the entire ring surface of larger rings on the bench sander.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - May 15th, 2016 at 12:26pm

Quote:
the segeasy sled the amount of sanding is drastically reduce

Quote:
I have found that with the wedgie sled all I have to do is clean off the "fuzzies" to get a great fit

The reason I sand is not to get a good fit or remove the fuzzies, but to get a cleaner joint. Sometimes the cut edge may darken a bit while going through a blade (in worst case scenario the wood will get burn marks) which will give the joint a darker line on light woods.

When I sand joints I place a sheet of sandpaper on the table saw and holding the segment flat then make 2 or 3 passes (like sharpening a chisel using the Scary Sharp method)

If my 1/4 or 1/2 rings are off I use a table saw to square them up by taking off the thinnest sliver possible. I guess I could use a sanding disk on the table saw but I'm too preoccupied to change the blade

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - May 15th, 2016 at 12:49pm

Ron Sardo wrote on May 15th, 2016 at 12:26pm:
Quote:
the segeasy sled the amount of sanding is drastically reduce

Quote:
I have found that with the wedgie sled all I have to do is clean off the "fuzzies" to get a great fit

The reason I sand is not to get a good fit or remove the fuzzies, but to get a cleaner joint.

I agree with Ron's post 100%.
IMO
The wedgie sled by itself does not make you better at segmenting or reduce sanding, it only makes on part of the process easier for some.
Using a disc sander does not make you less of a segmented turner somehow, it's simply another tool to be used.
From what you said you have available to you, I would say that A table saw, a well built sled and patience are the basics. 
Segmenting is first about the design (what ever you can imagine)
Second it's about construction (how to go about building what you imagined)
Your available tools may dictate how you build you piece and influence the final product.

IP Logged

shawn schiebrel
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

HILLIARD, Ohio, USA
HILLIARD
Ohio
USA

Harbor Freight 12 in. x 33-3/8 in. 3/4 HP
Reply #7 - May 18th, 2016 at 2:57pm

i'm making large salad bowls ( 14 inch diameter at the top ) so a 12 inch disc sander wasn't cutting it ( literally LOL ) so with a double ply 3/4" plywood, an inexpensive 6 inch faceplate that is permanently attached and a 2 pack of 20" 80 grit sanding discs ( $18, amazon ) I have myself a very nice 20" disc sander.   your lathe head must rotate outboard to do this obviously and mind those fingers.. 80 grit rotating at 800 rpms make very short work of knuckles LOL...
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2016 at 2:58pm by shawn schiebrel »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print