Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Repair Sanding Pads and Mandrel? (Read 1,492 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Repair Sanding Pads and Mandrel?
May 14th, 2016 at 10:31am

Despite constant attention to heat and RPM's, occasionally an interface pad or mandrel will separate.  Very tempted to try hot melt glue to get more use.  Anyone from New England or elsewhere Undecided try to repair these?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Re: Repair Sanding Pads and Mandrel?
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2016 at 4:19pm

I have tried and it is not worth the effort.  Thick CA glue can get another use or two but that is about it.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2016 at 5:27pm

I never thought it was worth the effort either. If I where to try I might give JB Weld a go since it can handle high temps.

I think you would be better off learning how not to create enough heat that causes the pads to come apart. (Hint: worn sanding disks produce a lot of heat)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Dwight Rutherford

WR Rocks!

Roseville, California, USA
Roseville
California
USA

Jet 1642
Rose Engine
Reply #3 - May 14th, 2016 at 5:56pm

Another cause of heat is pushing the sanding disc against the piece too hard.

IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2016 at 6:21am

I have had good luck with adhesive backed Velcro you buy at a craft store or at JoAnn Fabrics.  I don't remove the old Velcro, just sand it smooth to accept the new one.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - May 15th, 2016 at 9:12am

Don, I've tried one or twice but with little success. I don't know enough about what adhesive to use for adhering something to closed cell foam that would remain flexible and resist heat. As others, it becomes more trouble than it's worth.
Sometimes mandrels and interface pads fail, they crack, dry out or separate. I've tried many over the years and I still don't really know the best ones to recommend.

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #6 - May 15th, 2016 at 10:31am

I've used Shoe Goo, when I've torn the pad in half because of too much pressure.  Vinces wooden wonders sells replacement velcro for the pads.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #7 - May 16th, 2016 at 12:27pm

I've tried CA. I get a little more from the pad. Even tried making my own pads. for me, it's turned out not worth the effort. Ordered and received a large order from Vince. Now to get into the shop to use it up.

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Reply #8 - May 16th, 2016 at 1:24pm

I try to keep a additional thin pad on my mandrel and it gets replaced as needed.  The mandrel doesn't wear out that way.  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #9 - May 17th, 2016 at 7:45am

For at least a year I haven't used a mandrel without an interface pad, but over time the foam in the mandrel comes apart just below the Velcro surface.  There are times when a coarser grit sanding pad will catch, stressing the interface and mandrel foam, but I try to be very conscious of heat and pressure at all times.

As a side note, I noticed early on that pulling off the sandpaper placed a lot of stress on the bond between the interface pad Velcro and foam.  Now I work a fingernail between the two layers of Velcro first, so that I am pulling on the Velcro surfaces, when changing sandpaper or interface pads and not the foam.  Pads and mandrels last much longer for me now.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - May 17th, 2016 at 9:02am

Good tip Don,
I would add that I have collected many different mandrels and pads over the years with varying degrees of longevity. Some don't last long at all while others I have seem to last forever. all regardless of price.
There are too many differences in these products to have an answer that easily covers them all. Differences like, open-cell and closed-cell foam of varying densities, standard and micro hook & loop fastening, different diameters and so on.
These tools aren't as cheap as they used to be just a few years ago, I would like to repair or make my own specialty tools if need be and save money at the same time.

As I mentioned before, maybe someone with knowledge about the proper adhesive to use could chime in and give use some pointers.
Thanks for posting this Don

IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2016 at 7:53am

I have also used Dap Weldwood Contact Adhesive.  It is  flexible and lasts  reasonably long, certainly much longer than CA.  50+ bowls, maybe?  I find the hook surface usually wears out before the adhesive lets go.   Now that I switched to Woodturners Wonders system for most of my sanding, I haven't needed to change the hook surface yet.

IP Logged

Gary D Baker

WR Rocks!

Reply #12 - May 20th, 2016 at 6:43am

I buy a 15' roll of industrial strength Velcro from Wal Mart or a sewing store ... $20.  Plus, a $13 can of 3M 90 spray contact cement.  When a disc holder gets worn, I cut a 2" square piece of the fish hook Velcro ... remove the adhesive protecting plastic and spray both the Velcro and the mandrel with the contact cement.  Wait about 10 minutes and put them together and you are in business with better gripping than you had when the mandrel was new. I have several mandrels and I change mandrels each time I change grits.  That way I avoid any heat that may have built up on the previous grit. 

Also, the backing on the 80 and 100 grit discs that I use  tends to not be very strong, so if I'm sanding something that is particularly rough I may stick the fuzzy side of the Velcro onto the back of the disc or even onto a piece of regular sandpaper.  I work with lots of cottonwood and you may get 1 out of a 100 bowls without tearout.  The only way I know to take care of tear out in these soft woods is to aggressively sand it out. 

I make several hundred bowls a year and have to buy new Velcro and glue about every other year.  This makes my mandrel expense about 1/2  cent per bowl.  I hope this helps ... it works and is an easy fix.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - May 20th, 2016 at 7:23am

Thanks for the info Gary, I might have to give it a try next time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print