Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Twice Turned Lidded Boxes (Read 500 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Twice Turned Lidded Boxes
May 15th, 2016 at 12:45pm

Going to start using turned lidded box blanks I roughed out 12-18 months ago, a mix of walnut, ash, Bradford pear, and holly.  Can't find it but saw a recent suggestion to begin work on roughed out box blanks, let them adjust, and then complete the turning.  Curious at what stage do you stop the 2nd turning and let them rest - after truing them round, or do you work towards final wall thickness before letting them adjust.

I have more flat work experience, and expect kiln dried boards to move slightly after initial flattening and straightening of rough sawn lumber, so I re-stack and sticker for a week.  But when flattened and straightened boards are made thinner, standard practice is to remove the same amount of wood from both sides.  When making turned lidded boxes, after truing round most of the excess wall thickness will be removed from the inside only

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Re: Twice Turned Lidded Boxes
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2016 at 2:25pm

Just last week I completed my first lidded box.  Rough turned the top and bottom, bagged and sealed for four months, and then finished the two...I 'hope' they're now stable.  I've done regular bowls this way for several years and not had any issues with wood movement after the final turning and hope it stays true for the lidded piece.  Good luck...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - May 15th, 2016 at 3:55pm

Don Stephan wrote on May 15th, 2016 at 12:45pm:
Curious at what stage do you stop the 2nd turning

When the box is complete Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2016 at 5:56pm

Good catch, Ron.  Have a beer on me.

Should have asked at what stage during 2nd turning you stop to let the pieces adjust, before completing the turnings?

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - May 15th, 2016 at 6:05pm

I finish turning on the second round  Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2016 at 3:50pm

If I start with dry stock, then I rough turn, let sit a month or six, and then finish turn them. If I start with green stock, they sit a year or two till I remember and/or find them again... Turning any box over about 1 1/4 inch, with a friction fit lid, you will have movement. If they are straight grained, and the same wood, under that size, you may still feel tight/loose/tight/loose when spinning the lid around once, they still go oval. Going from Wetter Oregon to Arizona or Palm Springs, you get a lot of movement, unless you use stabilized/polymer impregnated woods.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #6 - May 16th, 2016 at 4:45pm

robo_hippy wrote on May 16th, 2016 at 3:50pm:
Turning any box over about 1 1/4 inch, with a friction fit lid, you will have movement.

True, but the box is a spindle with the end grain hollowed out you will find that the box has less movement then with wood orientated as a bowl with the side grain hollowed out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print