Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help with my hollowing cuts (Read 485 times)

Mark Putnam

WR Rocks!

Houston, Texas, USA
Houston
Texas
USA

Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" benchtop lathe - 1/2hp motor - Speeds: 826, 1205, 1713, 2422, 3337 RPM
Help with my hollowing cuts
May 16th, 2016 at 9:57pm

I'm having a difficult time with my hollowing cuts. I'm working on a small (8" diameter) cedar bowl. I have the lathe turned to its lowest setting  (about 850 rpm). I am using a 1/2 inch deep fluted bowl gouge with a swept back grind at an angle of 60 degrees.. It was just sharpened today on the Tormek.

I've tried a few different approaches:
1. Flute pointed straight up. Approaching perfectly parallel with the lathe bed.
2. Flute turned slightly clockwise, pointing at about 1 o'clock, approaching with the gouge handle pushed slightly away from my body.
3. Flute turned entirely horizontal, pointing at about 3 o'clock, with the gouge handle pushed well away from my body.

In every case, my aim is to get the cut started sufficiently so that I can rub the bevel against the inside of the bowl and "ride" the bevel all the way in. The good news is that, when I get a cut started successfully, I am able to ride the bevel in with no problem. My issue is just getting the cut started.

Thanks for any suggeations. Sorry if my descriptions are not up to snuff.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Re: Help with my hollowing cuts
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2016 at 12:45pm

Mark, Go into the videos and watch Bob Hamilton's stuff. Watch more on his technique. May want to turn sound off to prevent distraction.

Glenn j.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print