Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rough turning bowls, how to dry? (Read 705 times)

Andrew Abercrombie

Shavin' it easy

Eagan, MN, Minnesota, USA
Eagan, MN
Minnesota
USA

Rough turning bowls, how to dry?
May 19th, 2016 at 9:29pm

I have heard Anchorseal, Elmers, Naptha, DNA, and others.

What's your preferred method of drying rough turned bowls?

Robo Hippy, saw your video on using the wrap, is that Saran Wrap and what is the procedure?

A:) Let's take roll call to see if we're all here.
B:) Well now, it could be that we are all here, then some of us aren't all there.
A:) Right, let the record show that we are here.
C:) Who?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Rough turning bowls, how to dry?
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2016 at 9:38pm

I use Anchorseal and a calendar.
After roughing, plastic bag and wood shavings or shrink-wrap and wood shavings. You do need to check the occasionally to make sure you didn't seal them up too good. They need to breath a bit to dry, but not too fast.
Just about everyone has there own method.

IP Logged

Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2016 at 9:57am

Your method for drying in your part of the country can be different from mine where Im located.  I like to DNA soak overnight, wrap in newspaper and shrink wrap.  Then use a scale and a calendar.

IP Logged

Tom Hamilton
WR Supporter

WR is Great People

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Madison
Wisconsin
USA

Robust Sweet 16
General 25-200 M1
Reply #3 - May 20th, 2016 at 10:40am

Hi Andrew - Walt is correct, your local environment makes a big difference.

You and I live in about the same environment, so what I do may work for you. I noticed that you didn't ask how long until you could final turn, that may come into play in choosing your method.

When I don't care how long it takes, (I'm usually just processing wet wood for something to turn "later"), I coat the whole rough turned blank with Anchor seal, stuff it into a brown paper bag, crunching the extra bag into the bowl of the blank and put it on top of my heating duct in the basement. I stack them if I have a few of them. At first I was concerned about them drying too fast, but I've been very happy with the results. I have the normal 10% fallout due to cracking.

If I'm in a hurry I will put the rough turned bowl in DNA and hold it down with a rock so it's submerged fully. For a big bowl (12"-16") I'll leave it soak for at least a week, more if possible, then put it bare on the heating duct for two weeks minimum. You can soak a smaller bowl for a lot less time.

The best way I've found to go is with being patient, put lots of extra bowls into dry with the Anchorseal/bag/heating duct process. After a couple years you'll have more dry bowl blanks than you'll need. But they sure come in handy when a Wedding gift need comes up.

Happy Turning - Tom

Member of the Badger Woodturners - Tom

"There is no failure except in no longer trying. "
~ Elbert Hubbard

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2016 at 11:13am

The rim of the bowl is a vulnerable point. Make sure to round over the edges to a 1/4 round profile. Keeping an even wall thickness helps to even out drying stresses, but when you get to the rim, there is no more wall. A sharp edge will slice you neatly, and is more prone to cracking than a rounded edge. The plastic stretch film puts a bit of compression on the rim/vulnerable area, and is kind of a sealer to control drying. On some woods like maple, mold can form under the plastic. Other than that, no knots! They will crack, not if, but when...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Andrew Abercrombie

Shavin' it easy

Eagan, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2016 at 5:30pm

Tom Hamilton wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 10:40am:
Hi Andrew - Walt is correct, your local environment makes a big difference.

You and I live in about the same environment, so what I do may work for you. I noticed that you didn't ask how long until you could final turn, that may come into play in choosing your method.

When I don't care how long it takes, (I'm usually just processing wet wood for something to turn "later"), I coat the whole rough turned blank with Anchor seal, stuff it into a brown paper bag, crunching the extra bag into the bowl of the blank and put it on top of my heating duct in the basement. I stack them if I have a few of them. At first I was concerned about them drying too fast, but I've been very happy with the results. I have the normal 10% fallout due to cracking.

If I'm in a hurry I will put the rough turned bowl in DNA and hold it down with a rock so it's submerged fully. For a big bowl (12"-16") I'll leave it soak for at least a week, more if possible, then put it bare on the heating duct for two weeks minimum. You can soak a smaller bowl for a lot less time.

The best way I've found to go is with being patient, put lots of extra bowls into dry with the Anchorseal/bag/heating duct process. After a couple years you'll have more dry bowl blanks than you'll need. But they sure come in handy when a Wedding gift need comes up.

Happy Turning - Tom

Tom, how long is your drying process in the bag, I'm not the most patient person so I may be teaching myself that during my turning haha.

B:) Well now, it could be that we are all here, then some of us aren't all there.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2016 at 6:52pm

Andrew

Every environment is slightly different, even in the same geographic area.  And some woods start out wetter and dry faster or slower than others.  Record the weight and date when the rough turned bowl is finished, and store as you wish.  Record the weight every month and after 30 or 40 bowls you'll start to have a reasonable expectation for your environment and drying method(s).  It's not advisable to wait simply as long as someone else does.

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2016 at 7:52pm

I am in Maryland.
Here, it may take a month or two to a year or so.
Depending on the wood, and how large the piece is.
You can't really rush it, if you want dry.
But a bowl slightly warped has a special appeal all its own, so go ahead and turn to finish when you want.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tom Hamilton
WR Supporter

WR is Great People

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Madison
Wisconsin
USA

Robust Sweet 16
General 25-200 M1
Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2016 at 10:50am

Andrew Abercrombie wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 5:30pm:
Tom, how long is your drying process in the bag

Hi Andrew - As others have mentioned that's hard to tell, there are a lot of variables. A simple answer would be "at least 6 months, a year is better".

Did you know that you can buy dried bowl blanks? I just did a google search for "dried bowl blanks" and came up with a number of places.

Happy Turning - Tom

Member of the Badger Woodturners - Tom

"There is no failure except in no longer trying. "
~ Elbert Hubbard

IP Logged

Andrew Abercrombie

Shavin' it easy

Eagan, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2016 at 11:26am

Thanks tom,

I have looked into the already dried woods that are available. However I have an unending supply of green wood available to me. My family owns altogether (wife's side and mine) about 300 acres that's mostly wooded land.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print