WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Spindle Gouge Coves
May 21st, 2016 at 6:33pm

Starting a shallow cove with a spindle gouge isn't too much of a problem, I start the gouge flute at 12 o'clock (straight up) riding the bevel just below the tip, and rotate to the side to begin cutting.  Often I make several tries before the gouge actually cuts, but at least it doesn't skate/spiral and ruin the surface.

I'd like to have some starting guidelines next time I make time to practice - orientation of the tool, how close to the tip, round, oval, or pointed tip, . . .  Videos don't offer explanation, just show coves being made.

A bigger challenge is trying to make a deep cove, which begins almost perpendicular to the surface.  Here I almost always get a spiral or skate that cuts into the surface.

I'm quite willing to practice every day until I understand too orientation, hand and body motion, et cetera, if I only knew the theory.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Glenn Roberts
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Re: Spindle Gouge Coves
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2016 at 8:50pm

I'm kind in the same boat. But an experienced turner and 15 minutes of time made a world of difference. If you can, join a club. You will learn more in an hour vs months on your own.

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2016 at 8:43am

Joined the local turning group about 3 years ago.  Haven't found that turners, local and those making videos, discuss technical aspects of using tools, other than "ride the bevel."

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2016 at 9:30am

Ed Weber wrote on May 22nd, 2016 at 9:29am:
[quote author=0E252415193E2F3A222B244A0 link=1463873596/0#0 date=1463873596]Videos don't offer explanation, just show coves being made.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register that does offer some explanation and tips on cutting coves. from roughly 4:30-10:30
Hope this helps

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2016 at 9:33am

Mark Silay has 4 very good you tube videos on tool use basics.  Two are for spindles and 2 for bowls Give those a look  and try to find someone locally for some hands on help.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2016 at 8:13am

Don Stephan wrote on May 21st, 2016 at 6:33pm:
Starting a shallow cove with a spindle gouge isn't too much of a problem, I start the gouge flute at 12 o'clock (straight up) riding the bevel just below the tip, and rotate to the side to begin cutting.

If I am reading it correctly you are doing it backwards for a cove. Depending on the side of the cove (L or R) start with the flute pointed to 3:00 or 9:00 and rotate to where the flute is 12:00 at the bottom of the cove. This will be a scooping action. You will work from each side as it deepens; do not cut uphill to the grain.
For a BEAD you work as you stated, starting at 12:00 and rotating either L or R to the 3:00 or 9:00 position.
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2016 at 8:14am by Mike Mills »  

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2016 at 9:02am

Don Stephan wrote on May 21st, 2016 at 6:33pm:
A bigger challenge is trying to make a deep cove, which begins almost perpendicular to the surface.  Here I almost always get a spiral or skate that cuts into the surface.

Mike Mills wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 8:13am:
Depending on the side of the cove (L or R) start with the flute pointed to 3:00 or 9:00 and rotate to where the flute is 12:00 at the bottom of the cove.

I think the skating is the issue here, this is why I posted the video which shows how to establish a shoulder to control the cut (restrain it from skating).
While experience turners can start the gouge as Mike suggests, it can easily result in an unwanted spiral, I think we've probably all done it. Cutting a small a shoulder is an easy and effective way to establish the width of the cut without fear of skating.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2016 at 3:35pm

The video that Ed linked to is very good. At about the 2:45 he starts the cuts at about 11:00 and 1:00; for most of the others he starts at almost the 9:00 and 3:00.
Here is one by Lyle Jamieson that shows more of the body movement from a distance away. The rotating of the wrist while swinging the tool handle.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I usually lay out the cove and start the cut near the center as shown in this video. The cut gets deeper and wider as you move out.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Starting the cut the bevel (not the tool handle) can be perpendicular to the work as in cutting a pommel in square stock. By starting with the bevel perpendicular you cut the same shoulder as you would with a skew without changing tools.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print