Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cutting Bowl Blanks: How far from the pith should you be? (Read 1,607 times)

Chris Gunsolley

Bowl Turner

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Appleton
Wisconsin
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Re: Cutting Bowl Blanks: How far from the pith should you be?
Reply #15 - May 23rd, 2016 at 10:52am

robo_hippy wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 10:15am:
Well, how far away is like drying, every piece is different, so it is more art than science as the exact same method will work some times and not others. Only real rule I try to apply here is to make sure you turn away any cracks, and then a little bit extra because some times they extend past what you can see. Cracks always get bigger.

robo hippy

Let's assume you're cutting your blank for a bowl that will be 10" in diameter. Do you leave an extra inch, for example, on each side, cutting it to 12", in order to allow a little extra room for the potential of cracking/checking even after you've sealed it?

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Supporter

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #16 - May 23rd, 2016 at 11:46am

Chris Gunsolley wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 10:52am:
robo_hippy wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 10:15am:
Well, how far away is like drying, every piece is different, so it is more art than science as the exact same method will work some times and not others. Only real rule I try to apply here is to make sure you turn away any cracks, and then a little bit extra because some times they extend past what you can see. Cracks always get bigger.

robo hippy

Let's assume you're cutting your blank for a bowl that will be 10" in diameter. Do you leave an extra inch, for example, on each side, cutting it to 12", in order to allow a little extra room for the potential of cracking/checking even after you've sealed it?

That is always a good idea...

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #17 - May 23rd, 2016 at 12:45pm

Chris Gunsolley wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 10:52am:
allow a little extra room for the potential of cracking/checking even after you've sealed it

and warping

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #18 - May 23rd, 2016 at 2:13pm

Chris-  nice discussion now.
What I was saying ---Mesquite moves the least.  All the others that I'd named (trying to think of those that might grow where you are) move a lot more than Mesquite.  And yes, it's the "comfort rule" that comes with experience.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Bob_Macgregor

Round wood.  Sharp steel.

Reply #19 - May 24th, 2016 at 8:28am

Also, remember that the slab of pith removed isn't waste wood.  Each side of that slab (away from the pith) is a great piece for pens or other small-ish spindle projects.

Even when I thought I had excluded enough pith and my bowl blanks were pretty dry when I turned them, I find that now, years later, very few of my bowls will sit totally flat (ie, without any rocking) when top down.  Some don't just rock, they are visibly oval!

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #20 - May 24th, 2016 at 9:24am

Chris,
I turn green to final thickness, then let them dry and warp, then sand and finish. The more they warp, the better they seem to sell for me. For twice turned bowls, rule of thumb is 10% thickness, so 10 inch bowl is left about 1 inch thick. Some woods like mesquite move less, some like madrone move way too much for twice turning so you have to boil it to stabilize it, or turn to final thickness and let it warp.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #21 - May 24th, 2016 at 12:32pm

Ok, I'll add my $0.02 worth. I split right down the center. Do not seal as general rule and let it crack. yes, I loose some, but I have fun filling the cracks with metal flake & epoxy. My wife & family likes them.

Glenn J.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #22 - May 24th, 2016 at 1:01pm

Chris Gunsolley wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 10:48am:
Well, I suppose one lesson here is don't expect to be able to accurately predict what will happen with each blank. All of this really has me thinking about wood stability. The link at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register made me realize that the rate of change as the wood dries, which depends on its density, can actually be measured, and the woods thereby ranked in terms of stability. Here are some of their results, which are generally consistent with some of the woods David listed as being particularly stable:

Most stable woods (of those measured):

1) Walnut
2) Merbau
3) Ash
4) Cherry
5) Birch
6) Oak
7) Maple
8) Beech

I think you missed this from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quote:
Table 1. Average change rates of unglued timber parameters, measured when wood moisture changes from 8 to 9 percent and vice versa.
Type of Wood      Average Change of Wood Parameters %
Oak                           0.25
Ash                          0.22
Beech                        0.32
Maple                        0.30
Birch                           0.24
Merbau                        0.21
Cherry                        0.23
Walnut                        0.20

Here in Pennsylvania air dried wood rarely gets down to 12%. In a Arizona desert I wouldn't be surprised if wood can get down to 6%.

Also one need to consider how the timber is cut (quartered, rift, or plain sawn) with quarter sawn wood the most stable and plain sawn the least. (The link you provided are for floor boards which is a different animal than wood bowls. Timber, as its used here, is wood that has been cut into boards)

On a typical wood bowl all three grains (quartered, rift, and plain sawn) along with end grain can be present, so different parts of the bowl will act differently depending on its environment.

I find wood from fruit trees the least stable, followed by nut trees. The most stable are wood from trees like Maple, Oak, Mesquite and so on.

This said, my favorite local wood to turn is Cherry followed by Walnut, I just had to learn how to deal with it. I love Curly Maple but I'm allergic to it so I hardly use it.
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2016 at 1:02pm by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #23 - May 24th, 2016 at 2:06pm

Flooring manufactures need to be concerned because a .25% over the width of a 10' floor is about 5/16". This is why we leave room around the perimeter for expansion.
This is also cut 3/4' thick for flooring
A .25% potential movement on a 10" blank isn't much to worry about at 3/4' but bowl blanks are typically much thicker. This may not effect the movement in one direction but may in another, which is usually where the warping comes into play.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #24 - May 26th, 2016 at 10:46am

On the sizes you mentioned, 6" - 12", I cut both directly through the pith leaving 2" on each end for waste.
I do have an old electric hand plane that I may run down the pith area if it looks like I did not remove the pith entirely.
It also leaves a true flat surface for a small faceplate or the top of the jaws for a wormwood screw.
Differences may be with sycamore and oak which I normally cut about 1" from each side of a 12" in order to have a quartersawn section.  On larger logs I remove about 1/2" from each side.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #25 - May 27th, 2016 at 8:16pm

Like usual, it depends.
On the smallest logs, I try to split right down the pith with one shot.
Logs a little thicker, I may cut an "X" through the pith with 2 cuts.
On the widest logs, a slab up to a couple inches thick is cut.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print