WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Elm Burl value
May 24th, 2016 at 5:49am

I responded to a local ad from a guy who had a huge elm tree die and he had it cut down.  It had multiple burls on it, some as large as 2 feet in diameter.  He had one cut open and it went deep into the trunk, and had some good color and figure.    So I went there with my chain saw but without a good idea of the value of the burls.  I offered him one good bowl or hollow form in exchange for 4 burls, but he felt the burls were more valuable.  We ended up with me taking two burls, and will give him one vase.  So I was wondering what you would pay in cash or trade for burls that are still on the trunk,  for example 12 inch up to 18 inch diameter

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Elm Burl value
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2016 at 7:15am

Like everything else, they are only truly worth what someone is willing to pay for them.  Still on the tree, much less value than cut free and ready to inspect and take.  There's always a chance the inside won't be useable when finally trimmed for mounting on the lathe.  As long as you are comfortable with the exchange, you didn't pay too much.

IP Logged

Mark Putnam

WR Rocks!

Houston, Texas, USA
Houston
Texas
USA

Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" benchtop lathe - 1/2hp motor - Speeds: 826, 1205, 1713, 2422, 3337 RPM
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2016 at 7:31am

Mike, can you tell us where you saw the ad (paper, Craig's List, etc.)? I'm trying to drum up sources for free wood in my area. I've been told that Craig's List is the best source, but I'm uncertain about contacting total strangers.

IP Logged

Mike Nathal
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2016 at 9:34pm

The Craigslist "free" category has been very productive for me in terms of getting free wood.  Cherry, ambrosia maple, sycamore, walnut, ash.  You usually have to act fast once you see the ad.  The second-most frequent way of getting free wood is people sending emails to our woodturning club.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print