Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
EZ-UP style Canopies
May 25th, 2016 at 9:39am

I put this in marketing for those that use these things for craft shows etc.
I was wondering what brands you prefer.

I have seen many other brands that are similar in design but it's usually the things you can see that wind up giving you issues in the future.
I'm looking for a basic 10'x10' with sides. I need to move some things outside temporarily (day to day)
Any good or bad experiences would be appreciated. I don't want "cheap" but I still don't need to pay a fortune for something that won't get hauled around and put through it's paces every weekend.
Thanks in advance for any info

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Re: EZ-UP style Canopies
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2016 at 12:37pm

Ed - we have a Business Costco Center by us here in Hayward that has a commercial grade 10 x 10 x 11 easy up canopy with sides and rolling cart for $199. Unfortunately Business Costco does not deliver to residential addresses but may be worth a drive to get one designed and built for commercial use.

Regular Costco has 10 x 10 canopies with sides and rolling carts for $299 and up that also look pretty good.

Dave G.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Mark Putnam

WR Rocks!

Houston, Texas, USA
Houston
Texas
USA

Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" benchtop lathe - 1/2hp motor - Speeds: 826, 1205, 1713, 2422, 3337 RPM
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2016 at 1:53pm

We have only had one: the EZ Up Envoy. Completely unrelated to woodturning. We use it for swim meets, which our kids have very frequently. So lots of putting up/taking down. It has lasted for four years with no problems. I think we paid like $129 for it. They also sell walls and other accessories/add-ons for it. My experience has been that if you treat it well (i.e. take the roof off before folding it up and putting it away) it will last a long time. I do not have any experience with leaving it up for long durations.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - May 25th, 2016 at 2:08pm

Dave Gill wrote on May 25th, 2016 at 12:37pm:
Regular Costco has 10 x 10 canopies with sides and rolling carts for $299 and up that also look pretty good.

Dave G.

Thanks Dave, my local Costco has one for $199, similar to this but different item number.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I just wasn't sure of the quality.
Mark, I looked at the Envoy and it's not a bad price, but I'd have to add the walls.
Good to know they last.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Wood is one of God's hidden /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #4 - May 25th, 2016 at 2:49pm

Ed,
I use an EZ-Up that I purchased from eCanopy.com for $300.  I got the one with the name banner that goes across the front.  I use capped 4" PVC pipe filled with concert and a round hook at the top to hold it down. (One for each corner.) That way I can use it either on grass or pavement without having to worry about driving stakes in the ground.  My only complaint is that when putting up the walls and completely closing it off, the last zippered corner is really hard to get started.  The side panels could have been just a little larger and that would not have been a problem.  Other than that, I am very happy with it.  I can put it up and take it down all by myself if need be.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - May 25th, 2016 at 4:56pm

Thanks for the tips Steve,
eCanopy seems to have pretty good prices, I'll have to see how they compare with Amazon prime, lots of things with free shipping.

IP Logged

Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #6 - May 25th, 2016 at 6:51pm

Ed - your local Costco canopy looks a lot like the one at Business Costco (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) but I think the Business Costco one might be built a little more for the commercial environment. I have put it up a couple of times and it seems to be of much better quality that the one I got a Big 5 a few years back. I like the roof height on this one - I am 6' 4" and do not have to duck to walk into the canopy.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - May 25th, 2016 at 7:38pm

Dave Gill wrote on May 25th, 2016 at 6:51pm:
I am 6' 4" and do not have to duck to walk into the canopy.

Good to know, I'm 6' and (depending on how some of these companies measure Roll Eyes)even I have to duck getting into /under some of these things..

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Gary D Baker

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2016 at 4:19am

Ed
I do about 60 show days a year.  I had a QUEST canopy ( no side walls) for 4 years.  Dick's Sporting Goods $159.  Steel frame ... very sturdy.  I sold it to another vendor because it was getting a little ragged.  Bought the top end UNDERCOVER brand from Costco ... about $400 with side walls.  Heavier top and longer lasting good looks, but aluminum legs that bent in a wind shear.  Used 2 years until leg broke ... aluminum.  Called Costco to find out how to buy leg.  They said they don't sell legs ... bring it back and they'll give me refund.  I took it back Monday.  Ordered new tent ... hoping it will get here in time for my Sat. and Sun. shows.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - May 26th, 2016 at 8:46am

I was incorrect in my earlier post, the one at my local Costco store is a
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I'm not sure who makes them.

I can always order the Caravan, or Undercover brand from Costco online. This would make it easy to return if necessary and they are very good about standing behind what they sell. I'm leaning toward the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Another question.
Some of these side walls have velcro to attach and some are more like a curtain rod.
I'm leaning toward the CRS (curtain rod system) I think thats what it stands for.

Any thoughts, I do know velcor can wear out over time

IP Logged

Mark Putnam

WR Rocks!

Houston, Texas, USA
Houston
Texas
USA

Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" benchtop lathe - 1/2hp motor - Speeds: 826, 1205, 1713, 2422, 3337 RPM
Reply #10 - May 26th, 2016 at 8:51am

We only have one wall for ours, usually used to keep the sun out of our faces. But it attaches via hooks that hook on to the top rods and legs of the tent. This has proven to be pretty effective, and it is also very easy to put up and take down. The one down-side is that the "wall" does not fit flush to the legs or the ceiling. There is about a half-inch gap between the wall and the rest of the tent.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Wood is one of God's hidden /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #11 - May 26th, 2016 at 9:46am

Ed, the EZ-Up uses velcro.  It works pretty good and does give a good seal. It is a little bit of a hassle if you need to pull the walls tight to zip up the corners.

IP Logged

william trench

WR Rocks!

South Salem, USA
South Salem
USA

Reply #12 - May 26th, 2016 at 12:11pm

I have had the Undercover Commercial R3 for a couple of years and have no complaints. I have put it up mostly alone. I like the adjustable tensioner for the peak and it sure seems heavier dutier than a lot of the tents I have seen. The ones I really like are the curved tops with the awnings .
Two things : the telescoping aluminum legs do not like grit in them and DO NOT STORE WITH COVER ON ! I found in the last rain that there are couple weep points at spots abraded by the folded frame .
Whichever you get, do not rely just on some nails through the feet. The top should have grommets at the corners
for guys.

wood turned good
WWW kitchawanwood  
IP Logged

Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #13 - May 28th, 2016 at 12:08pm

Ed - you are about a 2 hour drive from the Business Costco in Hayward. Take a drive to the Bay Area sometime and check it out.

Just checked with Business Costco - they do not deliver to residential but will ship to a residential address. Here's how:

Go to Costco.com and in the Search bar, enter Business and press search. This will take you to the Business Costco site. In the Search bar, enter "canopy" and press search - it will bring up the Caravan Big Foot canopy that I was able to buy at their warehouse location in Hayward. It shows $207 delivered but that is truck delivery to a business. You can add the item to the cart and from there process it for shipping by UPS or whoever they use. HTH

Dave G.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - May 28th, 2016 at 3:46pm

Thanks Dave, very helpful.
What are the advantages of the Big Foot over the standard canopies? I'm looking at this one Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print