Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finish for natural edge bowl. (Read 338 times)

Kurt Vilary
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Finish for natural edge bowl.
May 30th, 2016 at 11:05pm

Hello all,
I just finished a beautiful natural edge (bark inclusion) cherry burl bowl and I am looking for advice for the finish. I have a great source for these cherry burls. And I have completed a number of them with mixed results. I really like using danish oil as it really brings out the contrast and richness of the burl. As a final coat I have tried WOP gloss and its hit or miss (I havent mastered it}. And spray lacquer applying many very light coats and I always seem to get orange peel texture. I'm willing to go with a semi-gloss or satin finish.
   But with this natural edge Im guessing I need to use a spray application???
Your advice and experiences are greatly appreciated.

KV

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Re: Finish for natural edge bowl.
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2016 at 8:58am

I'll share how I do mine... I always use thin CA glue on the little strip of soft wood between the bark and the main part of the wood. This soaks into the bark and the main body of the wood. I do this as I am turning the bowl to ensure that the bark edge stays in tack. Use very sharp tools so you do not chip the bark edge.

For finish, I use a wood sealer on the exposed wood (not bark edge) sand back then apply a liberal coat of lacquer over the entire bowl. I use a small piece of t-shirt to apply it to the bowl and dab it on the bark with a brush be sure to work it down into all the cracks.  Be sure to get an even coat over the entire surface including the bark.  I usually will apply several coats until I get the finish desired.  Hope this helps... Smiley

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Finish for natural edge bowl.
Reply #2 - May 31st, 2016 at 7:25pm

If you are comfortable wiping on Danish oil, you might consider making a wiping varnish, which will be more durable and will develop a higher sheen than Danish oil.  I mix Pratt & Lambert 38 alkyd varnish 50-50 with a good mineral spirits, and apply just like you would Danish oil.  For the first couple coats, I dab the wiping varnish liberally on the bark with an acid brush.  5-6 coats usually brings the wood to about a semi-gloss, and I stop.  Apply the first coat liberally, after 5 min or so wipe as dry as you can with clean paper towels, let cure overnight.  After that, you can apply coats the same way early morning, right after lunch, and just before dinner if you want.  Bloxygen almost mandatory to keep the wiping varnish from starting to cure.  I use a squeeze bottle to dispense onto a bit of rag.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print