Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is your return policy for online sales of bowls? (Read 942 times)

Chris Gunsolley

Bowl Turner

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Appleton
Wisconsin
USA

Powermatic 3520B
What is your return policy for online sales of bowls?
Jun 3rd, 2016 at 9:11am

What is your return policy for online sales of bowls?

Do you accept returns? Why or why not?

If you do accept returns, under what circumstances?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: What is your return policy for online sales of bowls?
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 10:10am

Interesting... the only reason I could think of as to why someone would want to return a piece is that it wasn't like the image on their screen.... colorwise.... or if the wrong piece was sent.

This is a problem stemming from a couple of sources.. the original photo wasn't accurate or the buyers monitor isn't calibrated so they aren't seeing the true colors.

You chould post a note telling people who might be thinking of buying from the website that colors are only as accurate as the equipment used.

As for returns, I would only refund if the piece was damaged in shipping.. with proof of that being photos of the packaging as it came to them.

Problem with refusing to refund someone who paid with a c/c is that they can file a complaint with the c/c company and the c/c company will withhold that money till it is resolved. If they decide in favor of the buyer, you lose. Good luck getting the piece back.

Someone may also post a nice piece that, strangely enough, doesn't show all of the turning flaws and lack of thorough sanding.  It's one thing to sell at a craft show and the customer can look at it and decide to not buy it for those reasons and another thing to expect them to make that leap of faith that you did the very best you could.

None of this is in any way to mean anything towards you personally. I'm just spouting off about my thoughts on this. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Chris Gunsolley

Bowl Turner

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Appleton
Wisconsin
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 1:25pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Jun 3rd, 2016 at 10:10am:
Interesting... the only reason I could think of as to why someone would want to return a piece is that it wasn't like the image on their screen.... colorwise.... or if the wrong piece was sent.

This is a problem stemming from a couple of sources.. the original photo wasn't accurate or the buyers monitor isn't calibrated so they aren't seeing the true colors.

You chould post a note telling people who might be thinking of buying from the website that colors are only as accurate as the equipment used.

As for returns, I would only refund if the piece was damaged in shipping.. with proof of that being photos of the packaging as it came to them.

Problem with refusing to refund someone who paid with a c/c is that they can file a complaint with the c/c company and the c/c company will withhold that money till it is resolved. If they decide in favor of the buyer, you lose. Good luck getting the piece back.

Someone may also post a nice piece that, strangely enough, doesn't show all of the turning flaws and lack of thorough sanding.  It's one thing to sell at a craft show and the customer can look at it and decide to not buy it for those reasons and another thing to expect them to make that leap of faith that you did the very best you could.

None of this is in any way to mean anything towards you personally. I'm just spouting off about my thoughts on this. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Well, Ralph, you may consider this "spouting off" but I happen to have found your thoughts on the matter very helpful!  Wink

I haven't actually begun to sell bowls yet, but I am preparing to and getting everything in line. I want to cover all bases, including the ones that aren't so fun such as this. Everything you mentioned are things I need to be thinking about on returns. That's a great idea to post a note on the fact that the equipment used can influence color.

My initial concern on this is that I was thinking perhaps it wouldn't even be safe to resell a wooden bowl that had been returned. In a sense, you could almost consider it a 'food' product, not because you eat it (obviously) like most food products, but since the oils, etc. that are used on them will absorb into the wood. By this, it may be unsafe to resell it if it were returned, without knowing what someone may have put on/into it. (Another unfortunate option is to accept returns, but not resell returned bowls, period, and in that case, you're simply out the value of the bowl.) Stores generally don't accept returns on food products, and if you did accept returns, I could see that being a concern for potential and repeat customers because they wouldn't want a bowl that had been returned and that's entirely understandable.

If it were damaged in shipping as you mentioned, I certainly would accept a return. That's a given, as the customer is not at fault and in actuality wouldn't have received what was being purchased.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2016 at 1:30pm by Chris Gunsolley »  

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 2:12pm

Chris Gunsolley wrote on Jun 3rd, 2016 at 1:25pm:
I haven't actually begun to sell bowls yet

I always accept returns for what ever reason with no questions asked and always with a thank you for trying us out.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Chris Gunsolley

Bowl Turner

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Appleton
Wisconsin
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 2:18pm

Ron Sardo wrote on Jun 3rd, 2016 at 2:12pm:
Chris Gunsolley wrote on Jun 3rd, 2016 at 1:25pm:
I haven't actually begun to sell bowls yet

I always accept returns for what ever reason with no questions asked and always with a thank you for trying us out.

That sounds right to me. It's pretty much the standard today, no matter what business you're in.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2016 at 2:19pm by Chris Gunsolley »  

IP Logged

Donald Jordan

WR Rocks!

Tampa, Florida, USA
Tampa
Florida
USA

Nova 1624-44
Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 2:45pm

[quote Interesting... the only reason I could think of as to why someone would want to return a piece is that it wasn't like the image on their screen.... colorwise.... or if the wrong piece was sent.
/quote]

The wife & I sell on etsy, and we ran into this problem. Customer ordered & received a necklace, which she claimed did not match the color on the website. Offered a return with postage paid, (policy is written on website)and she refused. Kept asking for a discount on another item, or a free item....
Became a nasty experience with the customer writing a horrible review. Make sure your return policy is written clearly on the site. Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2016 at 2:45pm by Donald Jordan »  

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 2:48pm

The best thing is that most people are fine, stand up people and you'll have no problem with them. It is the "every once in a Blue Moon" customer who is nothing but trouble right from the moment they open the store door.

Interesting comment about returning bowels that have been used as a food carrier.

I would  think that they would be returning something before they actually used it.

Once it is used, unless it warps or splits apart for wharever reason after they washed it, then I don't think there should be a refund.
In what type of situation are you thinking a customer might want to return something?

LL Bean is the only place I know of that take returns with no questions asked. I have returned shoes and gloves a couple of times that didn't last as long as they should have and got a refund.
Gloves shouldn't split at the seams from use nor the soles of shoes wear flat when I work in a store and walk on carpet most of the times!!

Ron, have you actually had someone bring a bowl back for a refund?

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 2:57pm

Donald... that is one of the oldest scams around! Shocked

The clincher is that they  don't want  a refund and have to RETURN the piece. They want to get you to either give them another something or a discount on another something.

They already have the piece and want to scam you out of more.

Never give in to these people! You offered a fair offer and they refused.

It isn't worth your time to try to do anything more than offer what you did and then post your response to her review giving your side of the story.

I am pretty sure that her horrible review is the only one among a long list of extremely good reviews so that only the dumbest of the dumb couldn't see what she was doing. Smiley Smiley

A review like hers isn't that bad as long as it isn't the norm.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 3:02pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Jun 3rd, 2016 at 2:48pm:
Ron, have you actually had someone bring a bowl back for a refund?

Once, after they placed it in a dishwasher. I explained to them why you can't do that with wood, then showed them the back of my business card (that I gave them with the sale) which explains that you can't do that. I gave her her money back and she bought 2 more bowls on the spot.

She has been a good customer since along with plenty of referrals along the way.

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Jun 3rd, 2016 at 2:48pm:
Interesting comment about returning bowels that have been used as a food carrier.

I don't think I would take back someone's bowels....

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 4:41pm

Chris- great topic.
I've not made the jump to selling a lot on the 'net just yet, well not completely.
I have sold some as a result of some postings: locals or near locals-when they ask to see & hold them, but nearly none where it's bought only by seeing it on the web.
Most of my sales come from the buyers handling/feeling/ looking at the piece of wood.  I have sold some by picture from requests of acquaintances of prior buyers.
I had registered on Etsy but put that off until I have that much time I can be on the 'pooter.  Won't do ebay for that-- too many folks selling for next to nothing.
I agree with Ron's return practice, is what I'd do..
For now most of my sales will be at craft shows & the acquaintances that need wedding or birthday presents.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2016 at 4:43pm by David Hill »  

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 4:55pm

BOWLS!!! BOWLS!!! Dam spell check!!! Shocked Shocked Grin

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 5:04pm

And here I thought you were making sausage.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #12 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 8:05pm

Can't imagine that, over the course of a year, the time and materials and tools needed to turn bowls, sand, finish, photograph, package, and ship, one can make minimum wage competing against hucksters and Chinese.

IP Logged

Chris Gunsolley

Bowl Turner

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Appleton
Wisconsin
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #13 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 10:59pm

Don Stephan wrote on Jun 3rd, 2016 at 8:05pm:
Can't imagine that, over the course of a year, the time and materials and tools needed to turn bowls, sand, finish, photograph, package, and ship, one can make minimum wage competing against hucksters and Chinese.

Fortunately, the reasons the people who buy hand-turned bowls  do so are far different than the reasons people who buy bowls from hucksters and cheap manufacturers from China do so. We cater to the former; not the latter.

Let's assume you could devote a whopping 8 hours per day, exclusively to producing turned bowls. This includes gathering the wood, cutting the blanks, turning the bowls, taking the pictures, posting them, going to shows, galleries, etc... All things considered, how many bowls do you think you could produce per day, on average? And, what do you think your average sale price per bowl would be, approximately?
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2016 at 11:50pm by Chris Gunsolley »  

IP Logged

Paul Roberts
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Rikon 100
Reply #14 - Jun 12th, 2016 at 10:01am

In the 540 items we have sold we have had one return request. It appears the woman left water in the bowl overnight & spotted the finish. I asked her to ship it to me, at our cost, re-finished it & shipped it back to her, at no cost to her.

She was happy, & the Gallery owner was happy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print