Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Consumer Psychology: What do bowl customers consider first? (Read 6,354 times)

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Consumer Psychology: What do bowl customers consider first?
Reply #15 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 10:50am

Ed Weber wrote on Jun 7th, 2016 at 8:11am:
Thais an entirely different discussion.

Yes, but entirely relevant

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #16 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 11:56am

Ron Sardo wrote on Jun 7th, 2016 at 10:50am:
Yes, but entirely relevant

No doubt, it's definitely essential part of the discussion.

IMO it should be one of the things considered first, since it help to narrow down the choices of what is being asked in the OT.
If you know what you're selling (bowls) and where you're selling,(whether it's craft fair or gallery) the group of customers you're selling to in each venue is usually looking for something different. So although each group is potentially smaller, they are more targeted. This way, you are selecting the customers you want, by selecting the proper venue for your work, rather than trying to "generally" guess what someone might want.

After all that, you never know what people might want, there are always exceptions.

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #17 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 6:18pm

Ed, I think they are related in some ways. I see the type of show one is  selling in can determine what you sell. The craft shows, I see,  really need  some low cost items. I made a pretty good study of one particular show by watching many booths and fifteen dollars was pretty high end but they could sell. It's pretty hard for a turner to be in that market.
Just my thoughts,
Lee

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #18 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 6:38pm

Lee Watermann wrote on Jun 7th, 2016 at 6:18pm:
Ed, I think they are related in some ways.

As I said, I agree they're related and must be considered with everything else.
If you know where you're going to try and sell, you'll have a better idea of who you're selling to.
This is why I say you really need to experience it first hand, just as you did. You didn't have to guess, you investigated and figured out $15 was the sweet spot for that venue.

This is why i think the original question/s are too broad.

IP Logged

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #19 - Jun 8th, 2016 at 10:17am

I just typed up a reply to this as well and was told it was spam...

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #20 - Jun 8th, 2016 at 10:25am

Kathy Jekel wrote on Jun 8th, 2016 at 10:17am:
I just typed up a reply to this as well and was told it was spam...

PM me the text.

What hardware and browser are you using? (ie: pc/firefox)

Also, can you tell me anything about what you were doing, (ie: editing, preview, live preview, etc). I want to see if I can replicate the error.

Has this happened on any other thread?

Or to anyone else? Anywhere?

Edited:
Grasping at a straw, maybe its all the CAPs in the title. There is a function that prevents 20 caps in a row (yes I know there is 19 letters and one colon)
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2016 at 10:48am by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Leo De Bruin

Turning pro as soon as
I retire

Kitwanga, BC, Canada, Canada
Kitwanga, BC, Canada
Canada

Reply #21 - Jun 8th, 2016 at 6:48pm

I do 4 craft fairs per year and I used to fret about what will sell or not. Same with pricing, is it too expensive or am I giving it away?  Now I have got to the point that I turn for "me" and what I like.  I do like to have a range of different stuff and that suits me because I do not like doing the same thing over and over.
  As a general rule if the customer picks it up and feels it and it feels good to them it will sell.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #22 - Jun 8th, 2016 at 7:57pm

Leo, I find that to be true also. Mostly its ladies that do the buying and if they pick up more than one item they usually by one for sure. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Paul Roberts
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Rikon 100
Reply #23 - Jun 17th, 2016 at 3:16pm

Been selling our work for 10 years, have sold over 540 items. We sell only in art galleries. I worked in a co-op gallery for a while, behind the cash register. Overall, I would say that women made up about 90% of our buyers, & would generally ask: "Can I put salad in it?", "What kind of wood is it, & where did it come from?". Virtually all wanted to feel it. Feedback from the galleries was about the same

What bowls sell the best? Really hard for me to say. I think the larger & deeper bowls generate the most interest, but are not necessarily our best sellers. Unique grain configuration, & color seem to generate the most interest, in my opinion, & I think a perfect finish is imperative.

IP Logged

Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #24 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 1:00pm

I started bringing  a gouge, and a 16" long, halved piece of wood. Customers  then can see how a bowl starts out.  And i talk alot. If you can keep them at your table your chances of making a sale go up.  Lots of people like to hear about bowl making. This also keeps a crowd around your table, others see this and want to know what the fuss is about.
Some want to know how a natural edge bowl is formed. With a blank you can show them.  I use the same  finish on all my bowls.  People ask how can they be different colors, the door is now open, start talking!

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #25 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 5:35pm

I find this string quite interesting and I think several have hit on the type of attendance a given show will bring.  Last fall I attended my first as a vendor and had quite a number of relatively small and quite inexpensive bowls, plates, etc. as well as several higher-end pieces of Cocobolo or other exotic.  Those attending couldn't get enough of the smaller spalted maple pieces while a beautiful 8" Cocobolo bowl didn't receive as much as an offer even at $80.  So for this year, my inventory is weighted heavily towards the six to nine inch variety of 'user' pieces and an even smaller selection of exotics.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #26 - Aug 7th, 2016 at 5:01pm

John Grace wrote on Aug 6th, 2016 at 5:35pm:
I find this string quite interesting and I think several have hit on the type of attendance a given show will bring.  Last fall I attended my first as a vendor and had quite a number of relatively small and quite inexpensive bowls, plates, etc. as well as several higher-end pieces of Cocobolo or other exotic.  Those attending couldn't get enough of the smaller spalted maple pieces while a beautiful 8" Cocobolo bowl didn't receive as much as an offer even at $80.  So for this year, my inventory is weighted heavily towards the six to nine inch variety of 'user' pieces and an even smaller selection of exotics. 

And, this year the exotics will sell like hotcakes, and the user bowls will sit.
Such is the life of a bowl merchant.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2016 at 5:02pm by John Cepko »  

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #27 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 6:17pm

I think there have been some really good points mentioned here that I believe contribute to the selling of a turning.
1.  Plan wood, unless it has sentimental value for people will more than likely just sit on the shelf and not sell.  When I say sentimental, an example where I live is that a piece of wood that came from one of the trees that was at the high school that were destroyed by "the tornado" has huge sentimental value.
2.  If it is a bowl, platter or HF it must be smooth and "sensual" to the touch.  This is something Jimmy Clewes talks about.
3.  Aesthetically pleasing to the eye.  People will not buy "dog dishes" or other items that don't attract the eye.  A smooth curve, proper proportions are a must.
4.  Create a conversation with the people in your booth.  I know every piece of wood that I have in a show and am able to tell a story about where it came from, etc.  People like being able to develop a "relationship" with a piece of art.  And whether we are selling a bowl, a HF or a pen, it is a piece of art.
5.  Not all shows are created equal.  If the majority of things that you turn are seam rippers, ice cream scopes, slim line pens, etc. then your market will probably be a craft fair.  As said earlier, people attending a craft fair are usually looking for items around $25 or less.  If the majority of the things you make are bowls, HF, platters and decorative turnings, then you need to be looking at art fairs or art festivals.  And the really good shows are juried.  Which means that they are not just judging your turning skills but they are also looking at how you market your turnings by requesting a photo of your booth as well. So you need to make sure that your booth looks completely different than a booth you might have at a craft fair.  I went to a mock jury one time and one of the judges really liked the pictures of my individual turnings and even wanted to buy one, but said if she saw my booth at a fair she wouldn't even consider going in. Thus, she would not consider having me part of a show.
Just some of my thought on the questions at hand.  Hope they provide some insights to those reading this thread.

IP Logged

Brad Barnhart

Sawdust Haven Woodworking

St. Francis, Kansas, USA
St. Francis, Kansas
USA

Harbor Freight 12" x 33 5/8"
67" home built lathe
BM-26 Hawk scroll saw
CW-40 Hitachi Scroll Saw
16" Craftsman Scroll saw
12"DeWalt Radial arm saw
8" Craftsman Tablesaw
Reply #28 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 8:29am

i agree with what Mr. Baker said. I've been scroll sawing 23 years, & we make 6 - 10 shows a year. The scroll projects I make are things anywhere from signs to dream catchers. I cut my own feathers for the catchers, the bead work, etc. Other projects that you think folks will buy like wolves, butterflies, crosses, etc., we get compliments on the work, but no sales. It varies from show to show, person to person. You never know what the public is looking for. I use all rough sawn hardwoods in my projects, & very little staining. There are times we sell out, & other times, all we do is make conversation.

Sawdust703
Brad Barnhart/Sawdust Haven  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #29 - Sep 16th, 2016 at 4:25pm

Brad Barnhart wrote on Sep 15th, 2016 at 8:29am:
It varies from show to show, person to person. You never know what the public is looking for

That pretty much sums it up, you can only do so much in preparation when you are dealing with an unknown.

Something like 'You can't please all of the people all of the time"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print