Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Consumer Psychology: What do bowl customers consider first? (Read 3,213 times)

Brad Barnhart

Sawdust Haven Woodworking

St. Francis, Kansas, USA
St. Francis, Kansas
USA

Harbor Freight 12" x 33 5/8"
67" home built lathe
BM-26 Hawk scroll saw
CW-40 Hitachi Scroll Saw
16" Craftsman Scroll saw
12"DeWalt Radial arm saw
8" Craftsman Tablesaw
Re: Consumer Psychology: What do bowl customers consider first?
Reply #30 - Oct 31st, 2016 at 10:32pm

We attended our first craft show this last week end, & I'll admit, I've been extremely busy working in the corn field for a farmer for the last month, & haven't spent any prep time for the show. But, the vendor numbers were down, the crowd was down because of harvest, & a new organiser.

After reading all the posts again looking for ideas & what to do next, I see everyone agrees on one thing. You can't pull the rabbit out of the hat if the rabbit left! Meaning, as a scroller & turner, folks walk up to our booth, look our work over & some say they'll be back, some say beautiful work, others say our house is full of this on the inside, I'm looking for things for outside. Ok, that's fine.

Next thing ya know, up walks a customer, starts looking at my wifes' beads, then moves to my scroll work & turning. And the conversation begins. She/he wants to know what type of wood,  say a dream catcher is made from. I tell them. They ask how long it takes to make it, what type of saw do I use to make it. Then they get to the bead work & feathers. They are fascinated with the feathers because they look so real. When they ask where I get them, I tell them I cut them on the saw myself. By this time, a small amount of folks is drawing in to listen to my spiel about it. They want to touch & feel them. Hold the catcher themselves. The conversation gets deeper as folks realize that this is all hand made, so to speak. I've got their attention. It amazes me at how many come to these craft shows lookin' for pampered chef, & wind up learning something, & sometimes, I'll sell a catcher.

I've found the hardest thing to do when selling my products is getting to the customers' mind. Going to these craft shows & leaving having learned something is the farthest thing from their thinking. They are looking for certain things, & if it's not there, they are done shopping & leave. I guess that's why I take different things to every show. Folks want to learn about it. Feel & touch it. Ask you questions about making it. Yea, you're going to have a pinhead that comes along & tries to get smart with ya. Keep on keepin' on. It's your inventory, not theirs. Take things one step at a time. Learn as you go. When that customer looks at you, tells you "I'll take it" & grins, you can both be happy! jmo.

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2016 at 10:37pm by Brad Barnhart »  

Sawdust703
Brad Barnhart/Sawdust Haven  
IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #31 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 3:03pm

Perhaps I'm too naive but the answer to this question seems quite simple...it's visual.  What draws that person to your table from across the parking lot or hall?  I think most of my customers see two things...the pleasant colors of wood and the utilitarian function of the pieces.  Taken together that's what gets them over to my table.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Brad Barnhart

Sawdust Haven Woodworking

St. Francis, Kansas, USA
St. Francis, Kansas
USA

Harbor Freight 12" x 33 5/8"
67" home built lathe
BM-26 Hawk scroll saw
CW-40 Hitachi Scroll Saw
16" Craftsman Scroll saw
12"DeWalt Radial arm saw
8" Craftsman Tablesaw
Reply #32 - May 26th, 2017 at 11:38pm

This may get me in deep trouble, but, as a scroll sawyer, & gone to the numerous shows that we have, & seen other "scroll sawyers" work, & a few turners work, it makes me want to clear out our display & go home. Seriously. I've been a self taught scroller for 25 years. No, I don't claim to be a professional, but, when the maker of your scroll saw invites you to the State Fair to demonstrate for them, that should speak for itself.

Gettin' back to the op's subject, the main thing I've learned about the general public & my work, is it has to appeal to them right then & there. If it doesn't, no sale. Regardless of the beauty of it, or the softness, etc. Most of my projects are Native American work, or work centered around that. Some of my prices are higher than others, but, imo, my work is better than others, too. More "showy, & fragile". But I've also learned that if you've got a customer that is sincerely interested in a piece of your work, start a conversation w/them. Find out a little bit about them. Tell them a little abit about the piece they are interested in. Then ask them to make you an offer on it. It may not be what you're askin', but maybe you can meet in the middle. I think lots of folks get greedy. I'm in the wrong part of the world to get rich at it, but if I can make someone smile, & know they truly like the piece they just bought, it makes it all worth it. just my .02 worth.

Sawdust703
Brad Barnhart/Sawdust Haven  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print