Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ever get frustrated with a piece? (Read 2,214 times)

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Ever get frustrated with a piece?
Jun 4th, 2016 at 9:28am

I've been working on a piece for several weeks now.  It's a hollow form that was turned from quilted Maple, dyed a bright yellow.  I turned a Bloodwood lid with a Maple insert and Bloodwood finial.  The bloodwood bleeds onto the Maple!  I've sanded it back and refinished and let it set overnight and the next morning it has bled to the maple again.  Ugh! Now I know why the call it Bloodwood... This piece may wind up in the garbage.  Sad

I think the next time I work with bloodwood I'll seal it first the put the pieces together.  Lesson learned.  Smiley

If it doesn't wind up in the garbage, I'll post a picture when finished...maybe. (not happy with this one).

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: Ever get frustrated with a piece?
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 9:37am

How about posting a photo of the "bleeding" problem.

Maybe you could enhance the bleeding so it looks like it's actually dripping down the side. Shocked

Do it once , it's a mistake. Do it 5 more times and it becomes a design concept.  Smiley

If the wood is sealed, how could the bloodwood still be staining the maple?
Is it surface only or is it stained into the wood?

Just pondering these questions.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Chris Gunsolley

Bowl Turner

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Appleton
Wisconsin
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 10:18am

Kathy Jekel wrote on Jun 4th, 2016 at 9:28am:
I've been working on a piece for several weeks now.  It's a hollow form that was turned from quilted Maple, dyed a bright yellow.  I turned a Bloodwood lid with a Maple insert and Bloodwood finial.  The bloodwood bleeds onto the Maple!  I've sanded it back and refinished and let it set overnight and the next morning it has bled to the maple again.  Ugh! Now I know why the call it Bloodwood... This piece may wind up in the garbage.  Sad

I think the next time I work with bloodwood I'll seal it first the put the pieces together.  Lesson learned.  Smiley

If it doesn't wind up in the garbage, I'll post a picture when finished...maybe. (not happy with this one).

Maybe to fresh eyes it actually looks pretty cool? It may be difficult for you to see at first, since you didn't intend for this to happen, but maybe at this point, you can shift your perspective to actually intend the bloodwood to bleed into the maple? Trust me, as long as the form is still there, there are people who will think that is beautiful...
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2016 at 10:20am by Chris Gunsolley »  

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2016 at 10:29am

Maybe a small piece of black veneer between the bloodwood and maple would hide the bleeding.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2016 at 12:59pm

John Cepko wrote on Jun 4th, 2016 at 10:29am:
Maybe a small piece of black veneer between the bloodwood and maple would hide the bleeding.

Have you considered burning the joint line. That may cauterize the blood wood and stop the bleeding. At least on the surface.
A picture of the join would be interesting, to understand the concern. As noted by others it may be a nuance that Mother Nature is screaming to let out.Lol.

IP Logged

Glenn Matthies

WR Rocks!

Lockport, NY, New York, USA
Lockport, NY
New York
USA

Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp
Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2016 at 4:18pm

Kathy, when designing and turning a piece, everyone has preconceived ideas or vision on how the finished piece should look.  If the finished product doesn't fit our vision, we consider it a failure.  That doesn't mean its ugly or bad, it just means it not what we set out for.  Others may view it and think "WOW - that's AWESOME".  Don't give up on it just yet. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 8:42am

If you have a picture of the bleeding or can show us the insert, maybe we could help.
My first thought is to fit the insert into place.
Remove the insert and apply finish (especially on the edges)
You would also apply finish to the edge of the recess for the insert.
Once the finish is dried/cured, glue only the underside face of the insert and corresponding area in the recess.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 10:51am

I have many pieces that are "in process" on the shelf...

They are there because what I was attempting was not working or I hit a dead end (need more info) or that I need more inspiration...  in any case, time is sometimes the best.

I have come back to these months or years later and the refreshing break is all I needed... some have gone on to win "Best of Show" awards!

I am not saying give up!  no, No, NO!  I am saying take a break and return when YOU want. Thumbs Up  Remember, this is what we do for FUN!  Cool

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 12:05pm

Tom Coghill wrote on Jun 6th, 2016 at 10:51am:
They are there because what I was attempting was not working or I hit a dead end (need more info) or that I need more inspiration...  in any case, time is sometimes the best.

I have come back to these months or years later and the refreshing break is all I needed

+1

IP Logged

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Re: Ever get frustrated with a piece? photo attached
Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2016 at 9:21am

I've sealed the area after sanding and taped off where the finial meets the Maple. Reapplied finish.  The bleeding is not as bad this time, but is still bleeding onto the Maple.  I'll sand it back one more time. I may brush on a sealer, let it set overnight and then apply finish again. We'll see what happens. 

It's strange because the bleeding doesn't occur around the ring or lip portion, just the finial.  My first thought was that maybe the finish was running down the finial, but that's not the case here.  My next thought was that maybe the dye has something to do with the bleeding.  But that can't be either, because it's not occurring around the lip portion,just where the finial meets the Maple. It's got me baffled...  any ideas?

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2016 at 5:48pm

In the pictures, it looks like the bleeding is only occurring from end grain onto the mating piece.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2016 at 8:23am

As Don mentioned is the end-grain that usually does the bleeding. You'll need to seal it thoroughly until the pores are completely filled and/or closed off. (more than one coat if necessary) This should just about eliminate the ability of the color to transfer. Sealing the maple will also keep it from absorbing the color bleed.

IP Logged

Kathy Jekel
WR Addict

Life... time and space,
it's up to you to fill
it!

Chandler, Oklahoma, USA
Chandler
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2016 at 9:11am

I loved to create pieces with bold contrasting colors and am not that familiar with bloodwood.  What makes it do this, sap or is the wood dyed? I've worked with a lot of Exotic woods and haven't encountered this but one other time and just assumed it was a chemical reaction from the dye. Are there other woods that do this?

Thanks for all the advice and assistance with this project (or problem)! Kiss

Kathy Jekel
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2016 at 9:53am

As you would suspect, Redheart
Redheart is usually talked about at Christmas time where many people use a combination of  Redheart & Holly for the candy-cane effect and run into similar bleeding issues as you did.
As with all woods, you may have just gotten one with a particularly high amount of pigment in it.

Bloodwood Brosimum paraense

Redheart Erythroxylum spp. and Simira spp.

IP Logged

Julian Roslanowski

WR Rocks!

Rancho Cucamonga, California, USA
Rancho Cucamonga
California
USA

PM 3520B
Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2016 at 10:05am

Kathy, That's a great looking piece.  The little bit of bleeding does not making it any worse.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print