Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Returning member re-joining and being gone about 8 years... (Read 424 times)

Jerry Goodhue

I'd rather turn it - than
burn it!

Shepherdsville, Kentucky, USA
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
USA

Returning member re-joining and being gone about 8 years...
Jun 14th, 2016 at 11:01am

Hello to everyone,
I originally join this group back in 2005 and what a great place to get ideas, help, inspiration and critiques for our addiction.

My last posts of work done were around early 2008.
Shortly after that my wife was diagnosed with cancer and every ounce of my being switched to her. My shop went dark, my tools became covered with rust and cobwebs. Plans and ideas were forgotten and nothing else in this world mattered....nothing.

I would be off work for a month or more at a time to take care of my love. I managed to not lose my job because of the exceptional people I work for. But again I say, nothing else in this world mattered...nothing.

Cancer is such a monster and the treatment and side affects of that treatment can do just terrible things to a person.

After a while, there is only so much a body can endure and she was gone. My heart was completely broken my mind was in a absolute fog. I was lost and alone. I had no interest in anything. I had no ideas, no plans, no inspiration, no motivation.
Nothing mattered...nothing.

One day, and I don't know how long it had been,  I opened the door to my shop and began to clear the cobwebs. There was still a piece mounted in the lathe that I had been working on at some point. There were sketches of things yet to come on the workbench that my wife had helped me build. I sat...and cried.

My wife had insisted a few years earlier that I put up this building and make it my wood shop. She was right beside me getting it planned and built. I thought it was just because she wanted to finally park in the garage. She knew how much I enjoyed making things on the lathe. Even if I thought it was imperfect or didn't like the shape or something about it, she loved it. She would sit the things I made all over the house and when I sold a piece from time to time, she would ask me to make another.

I asked her once about something I had made, "Why do you like that? I made it and I think it looks terrible."
Her answer was so simple, "Because you made it".
Apparently the things I did mattered to her.

So...I ended up having to sell our house and the majority of our things. I packed all my tools and into storage they went. I spend a lot of time trying to "understand" what had happened or "why". There is no real answer, or at least not one that made me feel any better.

After awhile, I connected with someone who understands where I've been. We are now on our journey together. We have a new home in a new place and not long ago I finished building my new shop. I'm not back to spending as much time in the shop as I used to yet but I'm working on it. I loved to work on the lathe and I miss it.
I try to enjoy every moment both in the shop and out because...it all matters.

I was so surprised to see that I had not been deleted from this group and that the few things I had posted were still here.

This board was for introductions and I have rambled on long enough, I suppose.
It's great to see all the new folks on here and your work is fantastic as I look through your pics.
I hope to be here often.

JerryG

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Re: Returning member re-joining and being gone about 8 years...
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 12:50pm

Welcome back Jerry.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 3:07pm

Welcome back

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Supporter

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 8:33pm

A wonderfully written re-introduction. Very moving. I am glad that you are now in a good place. Life should be celebrated every day, and a loss such as you had is very difficult to say the least. Welcome back.

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Champion

Wood is one of God's hidden /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 11:32pm

Welcome back Jerry. Sorry to hear about your wfe and the struggles you went through.  Glad to hear it sounds like life is improving.  Can't wait to see your new stuff.

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 2:04pm

Welcome Jerry!
(I can't say back---I didn't know the forum existed back then & they tell me I'm not a noob...)
I appreciate your ordeal and am glad that you're able to get back to making nice things.  I don't know if I could be as eloquent in your description of love and relationship, we should all be envious.
Unfortunately in my line of work I get to experience this a lot, but know that I get great satisfaction in helping my patients and friends through it.
Look forward to seeing yer "stuff"!

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 5:07pm

Welcome back!

I've walked the same path you have - I lost my first wife to cancer in 1999. I was just back home for my 45th high school class reunion and revisited some of the old places and memories.  Like you, my current wife understands my history and she is very supportive of this hobby.

I hope you will be posting some of your current work.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print