Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Hi folks, new member with the usual newbie question... (Read 1,196 times)

Tom Bean
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Hi folks, new member with the usual newbie question...
Jun 14th, 2016 at 6:53pm

I have gone through a bunch of the different questions and I didnt see this. I am new to woodturning and will be buying my starting gear. What I would like to find out is when you all got your first lathe what had you wished you had bought instead?In other words What should I be careful of in terms of size, length, brand , swing, etc. my budget is going to try and stay under $3000 or so.
Whenever I start something new I tend to buy stuff and then within 6 months really wish I had bought something slightly different. I would really like to,avoid that this time.
Any help is appreciated and I am still learning as is probably very obvious.  Thumbs Up
Thanks you guys in advance, I really appreciate it!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Donald Jordan

WR Rocks!

Tampa, Florida, USA
Tampa
Florida
USA

Nova 1624-44
Re: Hi folks, new member with the usual newbie question...
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 6:58am

Hi Tom,

Having done what you are trying to avoid, I would be happy to help! I'm sure you know that the lathe is a big investment. I went with a Jet 1220 w/ a 3/4 hp motor to start.  While this was a great lathe for pens, etc., I quickly found it was under powered and sized for larger bowls.. which I found I really enjoyed turning. I ended up selling it for half price after a year and bought a Nova 1624-44 and have never looked back. I suggest you find a turners club or visit a Woodcraft or similar store and compare. I believe the larger lathes hold their value longer than the smaller ones in my experience. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 8:53am

Welcome Tom
Your first post is a difficult question.
You did indicate budget but it might be more important to know what you want to turn. Do you see yourself turning bowls, hollow forms, or spindles. This can help to determine what type of equipment you purchase.
The unwritten rule of thumb is to get the most lathe you can afford. You can turn small things on a big lathe but not the other way around. You don't hear too many people saying I got a bigger lathe than I needed.

IP Logged

Tom Bean
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 11:29am

Thanks Donald I appreciate the suggestion. Ed i guess the short answer is I dont at this point know what I will turn, but I really like the process of turning bowls, some of the things I have seen online are very beautiful. And I would like to find intersting woods to work with. I just dont want to buy a lathe and then say dang I wish Imhad spen more money to get this...whatever this is. Plus I want to get lathe that is good long term, great produ t not cheap. I hope that helps a little. I dont know the terms and I apologize but it seems like motor power for larger bowls is a big deal. How importan is the length from end to end? Should it be a 40", is that way to bid? What diameter is big enough for not beinglimited when doing bowls. I love the idea of making big items.

Thank you

Tom
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2016 at 11:31am by Tom Bean »  

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 1:14pm

The length of wood a lathe will handle affects things like baseball bats, table legs, balusters, canes, etc.  Most of the larger lathes will handle about 40".

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 1:15pm

Tom, You might try searching here for past suggestions on what to buy for start ups. If you like the idea of turning big items, then you want to stay away from small lathes to start. You will spend almost half again on support tools as on a lathe.
For me to start over, I'd go with a Powermatic 3520b lathe, toss in a Wolverine sharpening system, 8" slow speed grinder, 1/2" U gouge from Thompson or D-Way, Good face shield (U-vex Sperian Protection S8500 Bionic Face Shield), dust collection system.

Glenn J.

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 1:50pm

Welcome Tom!
Not that long ago I had the same questions, except I didn't know about the forums--so I started out moving from lathe to lathe.
+1 on deciding what size you want to be working with.  Remember you can turn small stuff on a big lathe but not vice versa.
I really like turning the bigger stuff, but like being able to go smaller when I want or the need arises.
Didn't see where you are---if in my neck of the woods---come on!

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Tom Bean
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 3:25pm

So ive been looking at the Grizzly G0733 18 x 47.

Opinions?

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 5:10pm

Welcome Tom.  Make yourself at home.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 5:30pm

Tom Bean wrote on Jun 15th, 2016 at 3:25pm:

Opinions?

Tom, looks to be a good lathe, actually looks a great deal like my Laguna & I love that one.  As with any investment, doesn't do any harm to check feedback on machine & service.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2016 at 12:37pm

Grizzly lathes are not up to the quality of their flat stock machines. I have one. If you live near one to look at and run be sure to do so before you buy. But, that goes for any lathe.

Glenn J.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2016 at 1:30pm

Tom Bean wrote on Jun 15th, 2016 at 3:25pm:

Opinions?

Tom, I believe Michael Cole, who is also a member here just bought a G0766. Not the same but similar and of the same brand. Maybe he can give you some more direct hands on information.
The thread is located Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Tom Bean
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2016 at 1:36pm

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate the help. Its fun making this purchase but kinda nerve wracking too!

IP Logged

Michael Cole

WR Rocks!

Big Arm, MT, USA
Big Arm, MT
USA

Grizzly 0766
Reply #13 - Jun 19th, 2016 at 8:35pm

I did buy the 0766 and am very happy with it so far.  It is the first lathe I have owned so I can't really compare it to anything except a Jet I used Friday in a bowl turning class.  I don't know the model number of the Jet, but it was smaller than my Grizzly.  I found that the electronic speed control on it was not as nice as the Grizzly in that it was much more difficult to adjust the speed in small increments.  I spent some time researching the lathes and just found the Grizzly models to be more affordable for me so I decided to go with a Grizzly.  I then had to decide on the model and was looking at the 0766, 0733 and 0632.  I decided that the difference in price between the 0632 and 0766 was so small that I eliminated the 0632.  I then went back and forth between the 0766 and 0733.  The 0733 had a longer bed, but the 0766 had a larger swing and a little more powerful motor 3 hp vs 2 hp).  The 0766 had good reviews and people on Sawmill Creek seemed to like it.  I talked with a Grizzly tech and he said that the 0766 was a newer model and the company wanted to keep it more affordable so that is why it was a little cheaper than the 0733.  Others may not agree (some people seem to think the Grizzly is much lower quality than other brands), but so far I have been very happy with my choice.  If I wanted to spend more I would have looked at the Laguna 1836 or the Grizzly 0800.  I hope this helps you a little.  It was a very difficult decision for me.  I knew I wanted a fairly large lathe, but money was a concern.

IP Logged

Tom Bean
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jun 28th, 2016 at 1:42pm

Thanks very much Michael, it sounds like you and I are thinking on the same lines. Having been an avid fly fisherman, radio control sailplane pilot and trap shooter I have always tried to make these first purchases count. All the hobbies I have had have been expensive but the costliest mistakes to me have always been not to spend a little extra at the start to insure I'm not frustrated later. I have to get the electrical run in my shop this week and I think I'm going to buy that same lathe you got next week. Again I really appreciate the help from everyone and Michael thank you for helping out, you guys are tops!
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2016 at 1:44pm by Tom Bean »  

IP Logged

Tom Bean
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #15 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 3:49pm

So another question, whats the thought about having to bolt the lathe down into your shop floor? Do You feel thats necessary or  not?

IP Logged

Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #16 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 1:34pm

Most folks will tell you that it is NOT a good idea to bolt a lathe down to the floor.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Tom Bean
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #17 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 10:40pm

Thank you Dave, I appreciate the feedback.

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #18 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 8:06pm

+1 on not bolting it to the floor.  You never know when yer gonna need to move it.
Since I do make a habit of turning blanks that aren't 100% round/balanced, I added a shelf and ballast or ballast to existing shelf for stability---except the Am. Beauty---it didn't need any.
Have fun turning!
Where are you located?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print