Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Storing thinned mixes (Read 444 times)

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Storing thinned mixes
Jun 26th, 2016 at 11:15am

I posted on another thread about using thinned varnish and poly. Someone mentioned using a plastic squeeze bottle. How do you store your mixed solutions? Say I mix up a 50/50 solution of varnish and mineral spirits. What is the best way to keep it? Or does it skim over and should I just be more careful to only mix what I am going to use?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Louie Powell
WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Re: Storing thinned mixes
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 11:30am

Plastic squeeze bottles are convenient, but they breath - which means that whatever is in the bottle will slowly oxidize.  And the more flexible they are, the more they breath.

I use squeeze bottles for shop-made finishes, but I only make a very small quantity at a time, and if I sense that the mixture is stating to go bad, I dump it and mix a new batch.

I also use small glass bottles.  I recycle glass bottles that originally contained cooking spices.  Glass bottles don't breath, but they can wear out very quickly when I droop them on the concrete floor.

Mixing small quantities is easy - I use a standard measuring scoop that started out as the plastic container that held a 35mm film cassette and holds a bit more than an ounce of liquid.  Most shop made finishes are mixed in a 1:1 (or 1:1:1) ratio, and the ratio really doesn't have to be very precise.  Three full scoops just about fill a plastic squeeze bottle from HF.  So I can use one scoop of this with one scoop of that, or I can just imagine a line on the side of the scoop if I want to make up a smaller quantity.

Louie

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 3:40pm

Thanks for the information Louie.  Always wondered why the mix started to cure even with Bloygen added after every use.

IP Logged

Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 11:04am

As Louie says - plastic squeeze bottles will breath but I find what has escaped is usually what ever has been used to thin the mixture (lacquer thinner, DNA, Mineral Spirits). If you see a reduction in fluid level that is not related to usage, add a little more of the thinning agent to get it back to the mixture your want - may not be exact but should be close.

I have also found that the plastic bottles sold at HF or hobby stores are pretty thin and will bleed off easily.

You may want to try using condiment bottles (mustard, etc) or dish soap bottles. They are heaver and do not bleed off the thinning agent as quickly. I talked by wife into buying the smaller dish soap bottles which I "requisitioned" when they were empty. Work great for mixing up smallish batches.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 9:29pm

Stop Loss Bags do work for longer storage.  Have one that has been holding a seldom used colored varnish for about 18 months now.  Take out what you need, and never never put any back in.  Will some times have a little set up right at the threads.

Stoplossbags.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print