Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Building a Lathe...motor question. (Read 802 times)

Brent Barlow
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Dunlap for now.  Building a custom lathe presently.
Building a Lathe...motor question.
Jun 29th, 2016 at 6:09pm

Hello all,

If this is the wrong section of this forum, I apologize.

I am currently building a lathe using 18" x 7.5" I beams.  The shaft is probably going to be 1 7/16" with a 8 TPI 1" thread.

I have been looking at various pulley combinations and leaning towards a 3HP Baldor motor that spins at 1725 RPM.   

So my question is this, is there a relatively in expensive way to put a variable speed controller on a 3HP single phase 220 V AC motor or am I stuck with trying to use step pulleys?

I would like to be able to run the RPM all the way down to 50-100 RPM  if possible.  Anyone converted a motor like this to a variable speed?  I don't know alot about electric motors but I believe that if a slow a single phase AC motor down, it will probably hinder it's ability to self cool correct?

Anyway, I am stuck with 110  or a 220 volt set up with single phase, so if anyone has any ideas how to get a 3HP motor (or so) that I can get a variable speed set up on it without breaking the bank, please let me know. 

Thanks in advance.

Brent

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Building a Lathe...motor question.
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 6:29pm

This Topic was moved here from Turning Talk by Ed Weber.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 9:47am

Brent

You are a candidate for a variable frequency drive.   That will allow you to drive a 3phase  220 volt motor from 220 volt single phase for a reasonable cost.

Constant torque drives are on the market but are costly.  Use of step shelves for 2 or 3 speed/torque adjustments is a common design choice.

Why not the 1 1/4 by 8 head stock thread?  Lots of heavy duty gear available and the  shaft is stronger.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 10:17am

Ken Vaughan wrote on Jun 30th, 2016 at 9:47am:
Why not the 1 1/4 by 8 head stock thread?  Lots of heavy duty gear available

I agree, don't paint yourself into a corner by using an uncommon size. It will be easier and cheaper in the long run to use a common size spindle thread like 1.25-8  as Ken suggests.

IP Logged

Brent Barlow
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 7:44pm

Thanks for the tips guys.  I actually ended up picking up a 1.5 HP Baldor motor 110v for $75 in good working order.  So the motor problem is solved for now.  If I end up needing bigger I will swap it out. 

To start out with I'm going to use a 4 step pully on the motor shaft and two different wheels sizes on the spindle.  I calculated out all of the possible RPM combinations and I can get down to about 180 RPM and up to 1200 RPM or so.

Finally, I think I am going to go with a 2" spindle and put a 1.5" 8TPI thread on the end. I have found adapters that will go from 1.5" to 1", as well as a couple of  1.5" to 1.25" 8 TPI.  Might give me more flexiblity to use different chucks?  I have one 1" 8TPI chuck already.  Just wanting a little more beefy spindle that I can reduce to various chuck sizes.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 10:07pm

Memory says the 1 1/2-8 was the head stock thread on the PM 90 lathes of high school shop class fame of decades ago.  Good lathe, and there should be a pretty fair amount of gear still around.

A rule of thumb is to plan for 5 to 10 thousands additional run out every time you add an adapter to the tooling. 

IP Logged

Jurriaan Kalkman

just below the middle, Netherlands
just below the middle
Netherlands

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 4:19am

You don't tell us what you'd like to turn on your lathe nor what centre height you're planning, but 1200 top speed is rather low if you want to turn pens, for example. The other way around, if you're planning 20" centre height and turning big bowls, 180 low speed is too high...

Worries about self-cooling motors at low speeds have never materialized for me on a lathe - the motor never runs at 100% power for a long time, you always start a new cut, sharpen your gouge, fiddle with the toolrest, stand back to look at the profile you're turning etc. so the motor never runs a long time at full power.

Well, I'm a Dutchman!
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 8:41am

Jurriaan Kalkman wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 4:19am:
You don't tell us what you'd like to turn on your lathe nor what centre height you're planning, but 1200 top speed is rather low if you want to turn pens, for example. The other way around, if you're planning 20" centre height and turning big bowls, 180 low speed is too high...

I am curious about what you plan on turning as well. Is this lathe being built for a specific or general purpose use?
You're planning on an I-beam frame and a hefty spindle, which usually indicates large and/or heavy turnings
Your stated minimum speed of 180 may be too fast for large turnings, as Jurriaan pointed out. These two things seem to contradict one another.

We're just curious but if there is something that needs to be reconsidered, better now than after you've built everything.

IP Logged

Don Bunce

WR Rocks!

Valparaiso, Indiana, USA
Valparaiso
Indiana
USA

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 10:24am

1 1/2x8 is the spindle size for many of the smaller metal lathes like South Bend, Logan, etc. Easy to find chucks and faceplates that will fit on ebay, Enco, or Grizzly.

Please tell us what you plan to turn, and where you are located.

IP Logged

Brent Barlow
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 7:04pm

Plan to turn bowls 6" diameter to 30" in diameter or so.  I have a Dunlap lath for smaller / longer stuff if needed that can turn well over 1200 RPM.  My interest for now is in bowl turning.   

I thought 180 RPM might be to fast for a 30" bowl after some additional research, so I can get a larger upper pulley to to slow it down to 60-100 RPM or so.  I won't be turning anything on this that isn't already almost round (have a huge bandsaw to get stuff round before it goes on the lathe).  Lathe will psychically be able to fit a 36" diameter bowl (18"+ swing).

A buddy of mine and I are in the process of fabbing up the lathe now.  We have had a couple of design changes along the way but I think we have the final drawings figured out now. The I-beam is 18" tall and 7.5" wide.  Top and bottom plates are 1/2" thick and web is 3/8" thick.  It weighs about 55# per linear foot.  Pic attached of the start of this monster   Cool.

And Don, I'm located in New Mexico.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2016 at 7:31pm by Brent Barlow »  

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 11:07am

Well, as a bowl turner, a couple of suggestions...

First the 1 1/2 hp Baldor is a good motor. However, you should run it on 220, especially if you are putting heavy loads on it, as you will do in bowl turning. Every book I read on setting up a wood shop said that any motor over 1 hp should run on 220. They just work better. Turning 30 inch pieces will put a strain on that small of a motor, no matter what your gearing is. If you plan on being a serious bowl turner, you will want  a 3 hp and 3 phase motor with the phase converter, so plan for being able to up grade in the future if it isn't in the budget for now.

As far as spindle size, 1 1/4 by 8 is the standard for bowl turning. If you want to reduce vibration, you can turn the larger headstock spindle down from heavier stock, like 2 inch or bigger. Bearing mounts on the spindle are every bit as important as spindle size. Over kill is recommended. Possible double bearings on the front. A longer spindle also makes for less vibration.

The farther away from the headstock the mount is, the more vibration you will have. Simply, a shorter lever will have less vibration, the longer ones will have more vibration. Adding thread adapters makes the lever longer, so it adds to vibration. One lever is the height of the spindle mount. Another is the width and length of the headstock. Having a properly made sliding headstock compared to a fixed headstock makes a difference too.

I don't believe that motor is set up for any real variable speed set ups without risking motor problems. For speed ranges, I would want down to 100 minimum, and up to 2000 or more for 6 inch bowls.

Are you going for a short bed lathe or a long bed lathe. For a dedicated short bed lathe, I wouldn't go for more than 2 foot long bed, so maybe a 1 foot long space for the motor mounting, and 2 feet of bed for the rest of the lathe to have your banjo and tool rests on. Tailstock really comes in handy for larger pieces and a more stable mount for unbalanced and large pieces. You may need a floor mount for your tool rest and banjo set up.

Look up the VB36 lathe. Monster bowl turning lathe...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Brent Barlow
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 12:16pm

Thanks Robo for the input.

I picked up the 1.5 HP Baldor for $75 so I wasn't going to pass it up.  If I find it is less than ideal for what I end up turning, we will have room to put a 220v motor on this thing and I can use the 1.5 HP for anther project. 

All of my speed variations will come from two pullies on the spindle shaft and a four step pulley on the motor.  I can get down to about 100 RPM and up to 1200 RPM or so.  If I need to go faster for smaller stuff, I have another lathe that will hit over 3000 RPM.

The bed of the lathe will be around 20-24".  We are still messing around with that part of the design.  Overall length of the lathe will be about 50" give or take.  The banjo and tool rest will rest on top of the 18" I beam that will be bolted to the floor / concrete.

Part of the challenge for myself on this lathe is to build it as beefy as possible relative to cost.   My goal is to get the entire thing built for as close to $500 as I can.  So far, I am on target for my budget.  My friend and I are doing all the fab work / cutting / welding and engineering ourselves.  I will post pics as we go.

Thanks again for the input.

Brent
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2016 at 5:38pm by Brent Barlow »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print