Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1st bowl attempt (Read 1,197 times)

Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

1st bowl attempt
Jul 2nd, 2016 at 10:55am

I had a cheap piece of hemlock, that was 2" x 3 15/16, so I cut a piece off for a small bowl. I screwed the faceplate to it, and started roughing it out. Got it round with no problems. I got the bottom and curve to the side ok. I was going to keep it pretty flat bottomed, and more of a cylinder on the sides, without too much trouble. I messed up cutting for the chuck on the bottom. I had a great dovetail, but it was inside, not outside hold. It still was good and solid in the chuck. This is where the problems began. I hollowed out the bottom with a small spindle gouge. When I used the bowl gouge to widen the bottom and cut down the thickness of the sides, it went not too well. I had a couple catches, and broke the side of the bowl out in a few places. I really loved doing it, and it probably hooked me, but I need some work on my process.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Dave Gill

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Re: 1st bowl attempt
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 11:14am

Hey Kevin - we have probably all been there so don't feel like the lone ranger.

Take a look at the video section on this site to find several excellent videos that I am sure will help you along.

Most of all - have fun and Stay Safe!

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Chris Gunsolley

Bowl Turner

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Appleton
Wisconsin
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 12:18pm

On your next attempt, use your bowl gouge to form the entire bowl, inside and outside, other than when forming the recess. Do not use the spindle gouge at any point when making a bowl.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 5:35pm

I would suggest a spindle ROUGHING gouge should not be used in bowl making process.  Richard Raffan has made probably many thousand bowls using a spindle gouge, sometimes in conjunction with bowl gouge, ON THE OUTSIDE.  His books and videos, I think best used together, are wonderful for education and for inspiration.

IP Logged

Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 7:52pm

I think it was Richard Raffan in a video, that said something about using the spindle gouge on the bottom of a bowl. I got a couple bowl blanks today from Rockler. I'll be turning on the 4th for sure. Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Addict

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 8:25pm

Kevin Campbell wrote on Jul 2nd, 2016 at 7:52pm:
I think it was Richard Raffan in a video, that said something about using the spindle gouge on the bottom of a bowl.

I have participated in a couple of week long work shops with Richard Raffin, in his hands the 1/2" spindle gouge is very effective on the outside of the bowl and is superior to a bowl gouge for shaping the tenon.
He always stated that spindle gouge and a Spindle Roughing gouge are not to be confused, and Roughing gouges were dangerous for bowl blanks.
Richard grinds his gouges to allow him to safely execute cuts on the project at hand. Since working with him again this year the biggest take away from his tutilage is an increased confidence in sharpening, using only a platform and freehand, light touch on the CBN often, and cutting is much more enjoyable with razor sharp gouge.

IP Logged

Glenn Matthies

WR Rocks!

Lockport, NY, New York, USA
Lockport, NY
New York
USA

Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp
Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 1:46pm

First off, I am glad you had fun.  That's what is REALLY about.  Secondly, as with anything worth doing in life, there is learning curve.  Sounds like you learned a few things while turning.  IMO, the above is more important than making a nice bowl your first time out.  There will be other days.  There will be other bowls. 

Now get back on the lathe and turn another one!  Thumbs Up Grin

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 7:00pm

For me, it was a mistake to try to make "keeper" bowls on my first tries.  Someone trying to learn to cook doesn't make a meal for the in-laws on their first time in the kitchen.  Kids trying to learn a new sport aren't thrown into a game before hours of practice.

I'd suggest you get practice wood and make ten practice bowls that are meant to be learning opportunities, not "keeper" bowls.  Ideal practice wood is green if you know an arborist, have a cooperative public service department in your neighborhood, or find decent sized trimmings along power lines.  But this requires that you have and are proficient with a chain saw and have some idea how to orient bowl blanks in a log or large branch.  Option 2 is someone in your area with a band saw mill that cuts logs into slabs and will sell you one, hopefully green.  Option 3 is a 3" or 4" thick poplar slab from a hardwood lumber dealer in your area.  Option 4 is an untreated cedar 4x4 or southern yellow pine (syp) 2x6 from a lumber yard or big box store.

The first 3 or 4 bowls are just to get some confidence and muscle memory moving the tools and sharpening.  For the remainder, try to identify some design before beginning and try to produce it, but don't worry if it doesn't turn out exactly as intended, or the design has to be modified during turning.  Happens to me regularly.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2016 at 7:04pm by Don Stephan »  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Kevin Campbell

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 8:32pm

Thanks, Don. I watched an AAW video, today, that suggested the same thing. It makes sense.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print