either a mistake or design
opportunity

Meaford Ont., Ontario, Canada
Meaford Ont.
Ontario
Canada

What to do?
Jul 4th, 2016 at 11:38am

First off let me say that I love woodturning, but I am woefully inadequate when it comes to finishing. My question is this, can I spray(rattle can) lacquer over shellac(woodsealer) and will it work to first put on shellac and then aniline wood dye and then a lacquer to finish it off?

I may be shiny, but not brand new

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: What to do?
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 12:31pm

Dirk, Deft and others make spray Lacquer sanding sealer Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register as an alternative to shellac if you need/want.
As far as I know, you can spray lacquer over shellac sanding sealer, I won't/can't comment about dyes, they're not something I use, ever.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 7:15pm

If the shellac is dewaxed, it is often considered a universal tie coat.  Waterborne products don't adhere well to waxed shellac, NC lacquer might or might not not have a problem.

I've always applied aniline dyes onto raw wood, don't know how they would behave over sealer.  Aniline dyes available either as waterborne or as alcohol based, and I think they are very different products.  Wonder if alcohol based aniline dye would migrate into NC lacquer?

Experimenting would be useful.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 7:54am

The sequence is:  Dye, Dewaxed Shellac then Lacquer. Theoretically, the shellac would seal the wood and prevent the dye from soaking in.

The seal coat of dewaxed shellac should prevent prevent the dye from migrating to the lacquer. Although, you shouldn't have a problem with bleeding by starting with dye and going start to lacquer. At least I never had this problem. Experimentation is always a smart thing when trying something new.

Personally, I prefer water-based dyes because the color soaks into the wood a little deeper than alcohol-based dyes. The drawback to water-based dyes is they raise the grain and need to be sanded back more often than alcohol-based dyes. Since there is water in most alcohol it could raise the grain anyway. So in my opinion its a wash and prefer the deeper color saturation.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 1:18pm

3-4 yrs ago I made a bunch of bangles.  Some were from pretty plain wood.  On those I applied lacquer sanding sealer and then aniline dye.  It worked very well, but the color was not as bright as it would be on raw wood.  In this case the top finish was CA glue.   Give it a try on some scrap wood

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print