Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Smart Phones in the shop (Read 1,525 times)

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Smart Phones in the shop
Jul 6th, 2016 at 9:24am

What are your feelings about the use of smart phones and woodworking.
I just read another article that showed rechargeable tool batteries being monitored via a smart phone. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Now this may be a generational thing concerning smart phones and tablets as a whole. I don't/can't walk around with my nose glued to a screen and I don't get heart palpitations when I don't have my phone.

So my question is, do they really have a place in the shop?
I know there are some very handy apps to be found, measuring and conversions come to mind, but how much do you rely on them. Do you really need/want an app to tell you when your battery is charged?
That's just one example of the woodworking apps available and it could be helpful depending on your circumstances.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Registerof some that are available.
For myself, I will use an app as a last resort or a crutch if I can't figure something out on my own but I can't/won't be physically attached to one of these things 24-7, how would you get anything done.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Smart Phones in the shop
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 11:12am

Ed Weber wrote on Jul 6th, 2016 at 9:24am:
So my question is, do they really have a place in the shop?

I think its a good idea to have a cell phone in your pocket while in the shop. If you get hurt you can call for help.

I have a flip phone, not smart enough yet to have a smart phone.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 12:16pm

I'm with Ron. Keep it in my pocket. Do not need the distraction.

Glenn J.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Moderator

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 2:22pm

I use my smart phone in the shop for tunes.  Usually listening to Pandora stations.
Also I have a board feet calculator app on my phone.  ( not that i run into much wood here.) Angry

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Buck Nemitt
WR Supporter

Lovin It

Toronto,Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toronto,Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 8:27am

Normally my phone sits at the entertainment center when I'm home but when I work outside or woodwork in the shed I take it along.
  I've had my I Pad 2 years now and enjoy it quite well for the subject of Woodworking, I also use the Pandora music app and I use the Adobe Acrobat app for holding PDF plans. I use this app constantly when doing a project. Here's a picture from a few days ago where I was using the app to double check pieces and layout of a Pirate Ship I'm making.

What the heck,Give it a try---

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 9:55am

Well it seems those who answered use these things in much the same way as I do.
Music, emergency contact and as a tool, not a distraction (social media, texting)
I also use the camera to get pictures in hard to reach places.
IMO,There are many useful apps but if you're of the smart phone generation, I fear for some, they can be too distracting and become a safety issue.
I'm sure we've all seen the video of the woman who walked into the fountain.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2016 at 9:56am by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 10:14am

Grin That's on;y because the only people that answered where over 50.

I can imagine a young person standing by their lathe watching a youtube video with a gouge in their hand.  Grin

Hopefully they'll learn something...

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 11:30am

I keep my phone in a bowl on the bench behind me (the bowl acts has an amplifier).  I used to keep it in my pocket until once when trying to rough out a severely out of round blank on my old lathe, I later found the screen cracked.  Must have bumped it with the gouge handle or lathe stand.   $75 to get it fixed which could have been used towards a turning tool.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 7:21pm

Young woman on the sidewalk this morning said she took the wrong bus and was going to be late for a job interview.  Never stopped pounding the phone screen as we talked.  Wanted to know the name of the street, she had just walked through the intersection and past the name of the street.  Wanted to know my street number, was painted on the front wall beside me.  Finally named the business she needed, I said it was at most a 10 minute walk down the street.  Which street she asked, this one as I pointed again.  Straight down the street?  Yes (again) all while she is continuing to type away on the phone screen.  Asked again the name of the street, then said she called Uber for a ride to the business.  How the ^&%$ will she be able to function in a job if she can't see the street name and street number in front of her, or doesn't know enough to look?

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 9:31pm

Don Stephan wrote on Jul 7th, 2016 at 7:21pm:
How the ^&%$ will she be able to function in a job

Don't get me started  Grin

IP Logged

lloyd harner

WR Rocks!

littlestown, Pennsylvania, USA
littlestown
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #10 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 10:06pm

i keep it on me all the tiem makes for fast dirty in the works pics for my FB page but have nto found out how to get it to load to my web site right yet. 
it is my life line since i work at home while the wife is away at a reall job
its water/dust proof and much cheaper them my DSLR to shoot video in the dirty shop i have dont some knife making videos but i (edited out) at wood turning so no need to upload how i do things like that

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 9:52pm

I have a different bend on the smart phone in the shop (Mine goes off all the time)----seems there's very little reception in the shop, so I actually get some peace/quiet AND I get to turn wood.
For the emergent thing, should it happen---our portable--on land line-- does function in the shop.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Dave Gill
WR Champion

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #12 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 3:47pm

In my previous life I was on call 24/7 - 365 so was pretty much required to have my phone with me all the time.

Even though I have been retired for about a year and a half I still find that I always have my phone with me 24/7. Force of habit I guess.

Actually that is not all bad because I have gotten back into reading again and can sync my iphone and Amazon Fire so I can use my iphone to read while waiting for Dr. appointment, etc without having to take the Fire along - very convenient.

In the shop - my phone is in my pocket should I need to take or make a call but my personal safety practice means that the lathe, BS, etc. is shut off and any tool is laid down before I dig into my pocket to get the phone. If I miss the call and they don't leave a message then the call must not have been important anyway. Wink

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #13 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 3:52pm

Dave Gill wrote on Jul 12th, 2016 at 3:47pm:
my personal safety practice means that the lathe, BS, etc. is shut off and any tool is laid down before I dig into my pocket to get the phone

Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 10:47am

i know a lot of guys use various apps to play music, audio books, etc. while working in their shops....

Several youtubers i've watched use theirs for frequent calculations as well as some here have said, as a way to reference a drawing or plan for the project at hand.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print