Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Solar Kiln in the North East (Read 579 times)

Ken Del
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

NY, USA
NY
USA

Solar Kiln in the North East
Jul 12th, 2016 at 6:37am

I have been doing a lot of research on building a small solar kiln. Have quite a bit of access to small logs and starting slabbing and cutting chunks. Also turning some green bowls.

Has anyone else built a solar kiln in a seasonably cold area? I am in NY and not sure if it is a waste of time. I would imaging it is usable for about "tops" 8 months a year.

Any input would be great. Thanks!

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Solar Kiln in the North East
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2016 at 3:57pm

I'm in the northeast as well and I've used a black plastic garbage bag as a "Solar Kiln". On a daily basis I would take out the bowl, invert the bag, replace the bowl and reseal the bag. Worked ok.

Give it a shot and if it works for you, build a bigger one.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ken Del
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

NY, USA
NY
USA

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 6:27am

Thanks Ron,

I am working with multiple slabs also up to 6' so I am thinking more about air circulation also. I may just experiment with a build.

K

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 9:58am

The reason the garbage bag idea works is you are controlling how much moisture is being released. Once the air in the bag reaches a saturation point the wood will not release any more water. Then when you reverse the bag you remove the water and when the wood is placed back in the bag the process starts over again.

On a solar kiln with its air circulating you run the risk of having the water released from the wood to fast. This can cause the wood to split or become case harden. If the wood is case harden and you go to cut it on a table saw there is a risk that the wood will twist.

While solar kilns work there is more to it than building a hot box with its air being circulated. Where most solar kilns fail is having the wood dry to fast which can easily happen on a hot sunny day. You will need to come up with a way to control the amount a water being released.

Good Luck.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ken Del
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

NY, USA
NY
USA

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 5:38am

Thanks again Ron,

The bag sounds like a great idea for bowls. I will try it for sure. I have been turning some green bowl rough and returning when dried. It has been going pretty well.

Yes the pros and cons of kilns for sure. Just toying with slab drying because I have been getting requests for tables and such.

I appreciate the info as I work more with planks and slabs than turning... although that has been changing lately. Very addicting!

Cheers!
Ken

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print