WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Re: Hearing Protection
Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 7:28pm

There was a thread a few days ago about using smart phones in the shop.

There are several smart phone apps that will measure sound pressure  (in dB).

So even if you can't hear it, you can put a number on it.

Louie

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 10:54am

Louie Powell wrote on Jul 21st, 2016 at 7:28pm:
There are several smart phone apps that will measure sound pressure  (in dB).

Good point, thanks Louie  Thumbs Up
For those that say they wear it only when...
You may need to wear it more often than you think. A smartphone db app could let you know weather you hearing is a t risk or not.

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #17 - Jul 24th, 2016 at 6:44am

If you use the phone app to measure noise levels (or a noise meter), measure near the tool to measure total noise generated by the tool, but measure near your ears to get noise exposure levels to determine whether or not you need hearing protection.  In another life, I did this for a living and measured a lot of noise levels on different machines. 

I use a shopvac for dust collection and cleaning so I don't have one of the big dust collectors.  I rarely use hearing protection in my shop because the noise exposure is relatively low.  I do use it always on the riding mower and tractor, when using the chain saw, and when shooting.  I'm a retired AF pilot and have some high end hearing loss, but it's caused by jet noise not shop tools.

As men age we naturally lose hearing in the higher frequency ranges.  As women age, their voices naturally get higher.  We're not ignoring them, it's nature ... at least that's what I tell my wife.

Steve

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #18 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 10:30am

we learned alot about hearing loss in the AF...as a CFR crew, we not only worked on the flightline, we lived there too;  the firestation faced directly on the primary taxiway.  our bunkrooms had to have extra sound deadening insulation, and we were given not only good quality earplugs, but headsets as well.  my time ended just as the AF was starting to install noise-suppression headsets on all the firetrucks for the crews.   we regularly had to wear recording meters to measure what we were exposed to.   

The irony was, our results kept coming back with "controllable" levels...meaning the measures in place should have been able to deal with it, but yet a lot of the guys were testing with significant losses......and it was the younger guys who were reporting the issues....
   Then, one day, a few of us NCO's were sitting outside at the picnic table outside the day room, just hanging out as it was "after" duty hours, the Chief was hanging out with us, and one of the new airmen pulled up in his new car....with...yep...the stereo blasting.....   one of the guys said "wait, i can't hear what you said.."...and we all had a lightbulb moment....     Few months later, new regulations about automotive stereo levels started appearing in OIs around the base....    Sometimes it's not the sources you think it is, that are causing the problem.....
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2016 at 10:31am by Tim Hyatt »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print