Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Hearing Protection
Jul 16th, 2016 at 5:11pm

Most safety discussion have turners talking about dust protection and face protection.
How many of you regularly use/wear hearing protection while working with power tools?
It seems to be a less talked about subject.
I wear hearing protection when using just about any of my power tools. I use a pair similar to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Re: Hearing Protection
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 7:01pm

I wear hearing protection outdoors when mowing the lawn, using a chain saw, or using a leaf blower.  I generally  use protection in the shop when using the table saw.  I usually don't use hearing protection when turning - because that's not nearly as noisy, and because I need to listen for odd noises that indicate that the piece is about to fly off the lathe.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2016 at 7:02pm by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

Joe Penn

WR Rocks!

Hull, Georgia, USA
Hull
Georgia
USA

PM 2014
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 7:32pm

I have a hearing problem and I wear hearing aids; if I use anything other than the lathe -dust collector, power sander- I turn my aids off use a similar set of earmuffs. If I just run the vacuum to pick up chips or the band saw, I don’t wear the muffs, but I do turn the aids off. 

Outdoors with the lawnmower, chainsaw, or leaf blower, I turn the aids off use earmuffs.

The aids off are essentially plugs, but not enough to completely block noise. 

I don't use anything to cover my ears and I leave aids on if I'm just turning or sharpening.

I also shoot a bit and I have a custom set of ear plugs that blocks noise that I wear when I shoot.

Neither famous, nor infamous.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 7:40pm

When using the table saw, jointer, planer (all of which are also using the dust collector), the miter saw, circular saw, chain saw (outside) I'm wearing a pair of Stihl ear muffs because they were easy to find locally and I had confidence they work.

IP Logged

Steve Arnold

WR Rocks!

Burbank, California, USA
Burbank
California
USA

Jet 1640EVS
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 9:35pm

I do wear hearing protection when I turn and it's not because of the lathe, but because the suction from my dust collector hose is so noisy.

I don't want to look back ten years from now and have to say to myself I wish I had taken better care of my hearing.

These muffs have turned out to be a very good investment for me.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 8:04am

I'm still using my old Trition that has built in hearing protection.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Joe Penn

WR Rocks!

Hull, Georgia, USA
Hull
Georgia
USA

PM 2014
Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 10:18am

Steve Arnold wrote on Jul 16th, 2016 at 9:35pm:
I don't want to look back ten years from now and have to say to myself I wish I had taken better care of my hearing.

As someone with a hearing problem I would recommend that course of action. I think I lost part of my hearing when I was in the Army. I was in a mortar squad and our hearing protection was the tips of our index fingers.  I think the military now protects I members from future hearing loss. 

After I was out of the Army I did nothing to protect my hearing because I didn’t think about it and I was unaware of the potential for hearing loss. Now I do what I can to protect what I have left.

Hearing loss can be expensive. I think I have spent in the neighborhood of $15K on aids and devices since I realized I had a loss and actually did something about it.

But, it isn’t all bad. I have a program that kills all input and basically turns the aids into plugs. I often eat lunch alone and if I’m sitting near a loud crowd or some obnoxious cell phone yacker I can select that program and sit in peace.

Neither famous, nor infamous.

IP Logged

Dave Gill

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 7:04pm

While in the Navy I spent a couple thousand hours riding in a helicopter underneath 2 jet engines and the main transmission. We did ware helmets with pretty good earphones and mike so we could communicate with other members of the flight crew and listen to external radio traffic. The earphones were pretty good at muffling the outside noise and, on top if all, I was required to operate some airborne sonar equipment from time to time.

The residual from all this is that I have a high pitch buzzing in my ears. I got tested for hearing loss and was told that the buzzing and whatever hearing loss that I do have is due to age and is not something that needs correction.

I do not wear hearing protection in the shop or outside because most of the time I do not consider the noise from my electric leaf suxxer or chain saw to be too loud - I have a battery powered lawn mower and trimmer.

I do have a pair of noise cancelling ear protectors that I use when target shooting - maybe I should start using those when using the leaf suxxer (don't like leaf blowers) and chain saw.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 7:30pm

Some additional information for those interested
Work safe

IP Logged

Bob_Macgregor

Round wood.  Sharp steel.

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 8:21am

"If you need to raise your voice to be heard an arm's length away, the noise is probably loud enough to damage your hearing."   

I've been in some restaurants and bars where you need to shout to be heard by somebody sitting next to you.

IP Logged

Dave Gill

Good People - Good Info!

Hayward, California, USA
Hayward
California
USA

Jet 1220VS
Jet 1642EVS-2
Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 9:18am

Bob - that sure sounds like a good time to have a set of noise cancelling ear phones on.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world...and fool enough to think that's what I'll find!

IP Logged

Bob_Macgregor

Round wood.  Sharp steel.

Reply #11 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 8:13am

Dave Gill wrote on Jul 18th, 2016 at 9:18am:
Bob - that sure sounds like a good time to have a set of noise cancelling ear phones on.

It would be especially good if they could make them small enough that my wife wouldn't notice I was wearing them... Wink

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Reply #12 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 10:16am

I wear hearing protection (headphone type) whenever I am using the dust collector, any powered tool ( drill motor, etc.) and sometimes I forget they are on so it may carry over into other areas...  however for normal work (roughing, coring, hollow form work, etc.) I usually don't wear hearing protection.  I do, however, usually listen to music using ear buds when doing non-powered work.  Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2016 at 10:17am by Tom Coghill »  

IP Logged

Tim Hyatt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Charleston WV, West Virginia, USA
Charleston WV
West Virginia
USA

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 10:09am

I have some high-end loss from my time on the flightline (jet turbines are kinda notorious for causing some losses) so i've always been aware of the noise levels in my shop.

As small as my shop is, and walls of cinderblock, if i run the dust collector at all, I need some sort of hearing protection.  Typically, i wear a headset with a radio built into it.  that way, i can block out the drone of the blower and other machinery, and hear my favorite tunes clearly.  The set I have, has a socket to plug in an mp3 player, and routing the cord down inside my turning jacket keeps it from being a snag hazard.  They weren't even all that expensive....

biggest hassle i have with them is they don't quite fit easily under my faceshield, so they have to kinda "cram" under to be properly in place.  it's more of an annoyance than an outright problem....
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2016 at 10:10am by Tim Hyatt »  

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 10:45am

I'm sure i have  hearing loss from the many, many concerts I attended in my youth!!

When you manage to get close enough to the stage of a Rolling Stones concert that you can see the speaker cones vibrate, odds are that you have hearing loss!!

I remember a concert: J Giles, King Crimson and Humble Pie... at the time the 3 loudest bands out there all at the Spectrum in Philadelphia which in itself had the worst acoustics of any place.

They tell me i had a great time... I don't remember! Shocked Shocked Thumbs Up

I use ear protection when i'm using my chop saw & dust collector at the frame shop and at my shop at home when I have the shop vac on to collect the sanding dust at the lathe.

No sense losing what's left! Thumbs Up

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print